matthewmatt14
Linus_1

Should Technology be allowed in school??

matthewmatt14

Pro

I think that technology should be allowed in school for many reasons. One being that technology is a lot better then a textbook. Technology has 100X more information then 10 different textbooks. Technology wont hurt your back when its in your backpack because it doesn't weigh a ton. Technology is not only better for education but for your health too. Unlike textbooks, computers have many many many different sources to use rather then just one. Technology might also give you information that a textbook wont. Books are also available online and you don't have to pay $80 for an entire class set. Overall I think that technology will benifit a student more then a textbook can.
Linus_1

Con

As a high school student myself, I think having technology in school is great. While I would love to argue the pro side of this argument, I can also see many holes in the idea of having technology in school. About 98% of my classmates bring phones/iPod touches/iPads/laptops to class every day. About 97% of the time, people are just playing games, going on social media, surfing the web on some useless stuff, including myself. We rarely use the technology privileges given to us for academic purposes. A school could definitely set restrictions on this on the WiFi and such, but for phones with data plans, it just can't be monitored. You say that the internet is better than a textbook. That depends on if the students are using a reliable source or not. If it is a reliable database such as Gale, then great. If it's Yahoo Answers, then that's another thing. You state that they weigh less in your backpack, but while the strain on your back is less, the strain on your eyes is even greater. There are many eye problems that can result in overuse of computers that I won't list here, but it could be potentially more harming to your health then temporary strain on your back. Also, lots of books online require you to buy them for you to actually read the entire book.
matthewmatt14

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate.

As you mentioned students use their cell phones to play games but most students aren't allowed to use their cell phones in class. While I agree 100% that students play games most of the time, I still believe that having a computer will benifit a student. A textbook is only one source, while a computer has so many more sources, and when one source is unreliable you just move on to the next one. You say that it can cause eye strain, and while I do somewhat agree with that, I also belive that this will get reports done faster because most students can type faster ten they can write. Also most students handwriting sucks, so this is another benifit. You said that we still have to buy the online textbooks. That is 100% true, but they are a lot cheaper then buying a normal textbook. Unlike a normal textbook you cant lose this one unless you lose your device. Overall I think that technology will benifit a student.
Linus_1

Con

Ah, you were referring to computers. My mistake. Can we agree that for the rest of the debate, we will refer to specific pieces of technology? (computers, phones, etc.)

You say that using the internet, if you don't find a resource that's reliable, you can just go back and move on to the next one. However, if you keep hitting sites that are unreliable, you just end up wasting time. Using a textbook, you will know the information is correct/what the teacher wants all of the time. You state that students will get reports done faster with technology, as they will be able to type faster than they write. What if students prefer to write out assignments by hand instead of typing it? Not everyone types a lot faster than they write. Those who frequent internet forums (us nerds :P) have faster typing speeds and can easily finish an assignment by typing in half the time or less it takes to write. I have polled my peers on this before, and about 5-7 students out of every 10 of my classmates have said they prefer to write instead of type. Teachers have always been able to decipher difficult handwriting before, why not now? It's also the student's job to be able to maintain legible penmanship. While typing an essay, it is also easy to get distracted by other things, such as social media, TV shows, etc. You say that having a textbook is a downside to the internet because you might lose it, and that the only way to lose the internet is to lose your device. A textbook isn't necessarily an easy thing to lose. They could easily be the largest things in your locker, and definitely take up the most room (in my experience). However, more people nowadays are losing devices such as phones or computers, because they are so much smaller and easier to forget. Stealing is also a factor, albeit on a smaller scale. Pieces of valuable hardware are worth much more to burglars than textbooks. Having technology will not always necessarily benefit a student.
matthewmatt14

Pro

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Ok you said that I was refering to computers but I am refering to technology in general like a computer or a phone.

Ok so you say that most students can write faster then they type, and I can understand that but thats why students should get to use technology at a younger age, (6th grade). When that happens they shoulf be able to type faster as time goes on. I 100% agree that students could get easily distracted by technology so I wont rebel against that. And I also think that students could do different reports. Lets just say a google presentation or prezi. These sites are a lot more fun and just a bit easier to use then to get paper and write all that information down. Also students will pay more attention to an online presentation then watching someone stand up and talk abot random things. I use technology in my everyday life and everything is just fine, (yes that is biased). Now there are also a lot more study materials online like quizlet.com that I use in my spanish class. We also have morning announcments over the computer for everyone to watch so we don't have to hear it over the loudspeaker. I am on my last week of school as of today :D and technology has helped all of the students.
Linus_1

Con

I can tell you that no matter how young a student starts using a keyboard, if they don't have motivation to type faster, they won't. The only reason I got fast was because I had to type to my teammates in video games accurately, and I would be a sitting duck in those seconds in took. First world problems :D If technology started to become more implemented, I think it should become a regular practice for students to learn how to touch type, as their slow speeds will just hinder them. I can give you an example. Right now, I am working on a final exam study guide for history online on Google Drive. There are at least 4-6 people working on it actively. The entire document is live (meaning I can see changes as they are made by other people) and I can observe the slow typing speeds. It's below average. Just starting to use the technology at a younger age won't be enough. They have to become familiar with them and be able to type at a decent speed.

I agree, Google presentations are great, use them all the time. But sometimes, it's good to use the pen and paper to actually write the information down before putting it into the software. Organizing online isn't the most convenient way of doing things. Studies also show that by writing things down, you can remember them better.

You say that students will pay more attention to an online presentation than just watching someone talk about "random things". If they were talking about random things, why did the teacher assign the project in the first place, if it isn't relevant to the curriculum? It also reflects on the presentation skills of the presenters. If they can get their message across in a clear fashion using a presentation software, great. But if they get distracted and add in too many goofy pictures, then that takes away from the educational experience. Good talkers will also be able to make sure people don't get too bored when delivering an oral presentation. I also use Quizlet for my Spanish class, and I think it's great. :>

Morning announcements on your computer? I wouldn't know until I tried it out, but wouldn't everyone just be on a different tab instead of watching the news? People could always just tune out the announcements over the speaker too I guess. There's flaws in both systems.

Gratz on last week of school. I still have this week and then Monday Tuesday for finals :(
matthewmatt14

Pro

When I said random things I was just implying that that's what students will think their talking about if the presentation isn't interesting.
And when I said morning announcements on the computer, I meant that the teacher uses the Smart board to play the online announcements to the entire class. The students also have the chance to go watch it themselves on their computer but most students don't do that.

Now Google presentations are great, you mentioned that it is better to write out a presentation before putting it in a software. I disagree, as I think that its better to do that after so the student can use those notes as reference so they wont read off the board.

Also you said that you can see the typing speeds of the other students on Google drive and you say that they aren't that fast. Google drive is a little slow so you wont get the information right away, so I don't think that that is a reliable source for your side of the debate. But that brings up my next point of being able to share information right away. If you use Google drive then you know that there is a feature that allows you to share Google docs/presentations Ect. Not to mention that you can also set the preference for how the person can view the document. Lets say the owner only wants the student to view and not edit, they can do that. This also works with just about any other of the resources that Google drive gives you.
Linus_1

Con

"When I said random things I was just implying that that's what students will think their talking about if the presentation isn't interesting" Sorry I have to do this but it's "they're" instead of "their". Read it over. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi :P

Going on: Sure, the notes would be good as reference so they won't read off the board on a presentation, but you have to make sure you aren't reading completely off the notes either. Overall, in a presentation I think you should have most of the stuff in your memory, and just peek every once in a while to jog your memory.

I acknowledge the fact that Google Drive has lag, but you can still tell the general typing speed. Eh, not important enough of a topic to debate for too long. "There is a feature that allows you to share Google docs/presentations Ect." Going to do this again, sorry :P It's etc. and it's not capitalized.

I'm sorry, but I feel as if though we've strayed a little bit too far from the original topic of debate in these rebuttals, so I'll just make a closing statement. While technology is a great tool for education, proper limits need to be set on the use of these devices to ensure they are being used productively and students don't abuse their privileges. Technology may be convenient, but only when it works. Going old school can't hurt every once in a while too :) If students will be using technology in school, you should educate them on how to properly handle and use their computers.

Thank you to pro for a good debate.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
I wish I could take the pro side on this! A problem with this question though is that technology is so general, it's impossible to have school without technology. For example, pens are relatively modern inventions given the whole of human written history, and could be considered technology with respect to the feather quill pen and ink jar. The florescent lights lining the ceilings of our public schools may seem commonplace, but the lights are amazing technology compared to a candle and fire.
It just seems that this is a home run for the pro.