MFischer
Bart_Simpson

Should Tests be Handed Back to You?

MFischer

Pro

Teachers everywhere are starting to not hand back work and I have to say, this bothers me. If teachers don't want to give me back my work for no reason, then fine. I can't argue with them. However, with not knowing where I'm heading in that field, I don't know if I'm at a 70% or 95%. If I ask where I am, they'll say I'm doing great. Keep it up. What if what they define as good is my definition of failing? Also, if I get a simple definition wrong, will I get to see that I don't know that word? No because I'll never see that test again.
Bart_Simpson

Con

My opponent has brought up some excellent points, however he has not yet reached the point of empathy that my side will be taking. I understand that this may seem frustrating to you in the beginning, but in the long run, it is beneficial for the teacher because she does not want to have to worry about cheaters who sell the test to next year's class. If that means not letting you get back her test, she has her reason and she does not have to hand it out. Now, there is the point of the teacher could make a new test in order to pass out the test and prevent the cheating issue. However, by not handing back the test, she does not have to go through the trouble of making a new test each year, and if the test gets handed out, then it will be hard to find new content for the new tests, which ultimately may result in repeat questions from previous tests, which people will cheat on. Also, if you would like to see what you missed on a test, then ask the teacher to see your test and not keep it. If the teacher does not let you do this, then you can think that it is unfair but it is necessary to regulate whether cheater can cheat or not. Also, regarding your grade, you should be working very hard for good grade and that is all you can do. Knowing your score on your test will not increase your grade, but satisfy your curiosity of whether you are doing well or not. Plus, you can tell when you did not study long enough for a test when there is too much foreign content on it.

Summary:

1. Cheating is preventing tests from being handed back.
2. The teacher do not have to come up with new content for each test for each new year, which he or she may run out of ideas to think about.
3. Knowing your grade does not improve it. It only satisfies your curiosity.
MFischer

Pro

Okay, so my opponent has made very interesting points. However, he does not realize that by not handing back tests, cheating is not being solved. Anyone who has already taken the same test would easily be able to tell me the answers to it so that I can look them up or review certain parts of the study notes. By not giving the test back, I can cheat. My teacher says that he doesn't believe in marks or grades. What does that mean? Does it mean that he finally has the right idea about how education has been approached after these centuries? Wow. Maybe I should give him a medal. The reason that tests have been given back to us for this entire time is to not only be proud of yourself, but to know exactly what you need to improve next time instead of a vague 3 minute answer from a teacher.

Also, giving back tests would allow me to do certain mathematical things with my mark. Maybe someone wants to have a certain grade going into university and each class has to be above 80%. By not knowing the exact grades you've been getting on your tests, you aren't able to calculate your mark ahead of time. Let's say that you got a 78%. On the next test, you could see your previous mark, and think to yourself, "I'm going to study harder next time."

Getting tests back could improve your grade in many cases.
Bart_Simpson

Con

Bart_Simpson forfeited this round.
MFischer

Pro

MFischer forfeited this round.
Bart_Simpson

Con

Bart_Simpson forfeited this round.