That1PoliticalKid
Conceptua

Should Texas Have Remained As It's Own Country?

Started: 11/4/2016 Category: Places-Travel
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

That1PoliticalKid

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance.
from there on it is we debate.
no swearing, please!
Conceptua

Con

That1PoliticalKid

Pro

All right so in all honesty, this debate is just for fun, and I think that in the end, Texas would have joined the U.S. at one point or another. Anyways, with that disclaimer out of the way, now to the debate where I will attempt at proving why Texas should have stayed as a country. My first reason is because of the fact that Texas is big enough to be a strong and stable country. Texas is even bigger than France! Also if Texas was its own country, it could make its own laws, completely changing the way Texas would be ruled, perhaps even for the better, as the founding fathers could use laws from both Mexico and the U.S., therefore allowing them to pick and choose laws that would best work in the Texan environment. Another good reason is because of defense. As you may know, Texans like their guns, and if Texas were ever to be at war again, they would be ready. When they declared independence, they were completely outnumbered, and yet they still won. Texans are also mostly conservative, so I think that if they had immigration problems, they would build a wall for safety. I also believe in war situations, they would survive, and perhaps even get help from the U.S.A. My final reason is because of the location of Texas. They are in between the U.S.A and Mexico, so trade deals would be great. By the way just so you know, I am a Texan and I am not stereotyping Texans by what I have said.
Thanks for reading,
That1PoliticalKid
Conceptua

Con

Thanks for creating this debate :) Let's have fun.

I concede that Texas could be a good country on its own. However, just because they could doesn't mean they should. Texas, back in the day, wanted to keep slaves around, which they probably would have kept if they didn't become a part of the US. Slavery is unethical and infringes heavily on people's rights which is why the sooner they lost their slaves, the better. Any amount of time that they remained their own country would have extended the amount of time that many people would have their rights taken away and forced to labor.

Also, because of their closeness to the US and their slavery, they probably would have had conflicts, possibly military, with the US which would have had impacts for both sides. War offers many harms and becoming a part of the same government would solve this potential issue.

Pro has demonstrated that Texas could be their own country and were well off if they were, but has not said anything about why they should be their own country. In order to win this debate, my opponent must make arguments to that nature and also show why my arguments fail. Until then, I'm the one who has any relevant contentions and is therefore winning the debate.
That1PoliticalKid

Pro

Con has stated that in order to win the debate, I must explain why Texas should be a country, and I agree with him. Economy wise, Texas would go a lot better off. It would not have to participate in one of the bloodiest wars in America. It would also give Texas more time to modernize before giving up slavery. The civil war badly damaged Texas' economy because Texas' primary form of income was agriculture, and when the war ended, Texas was forced to give up slaves, leaving many fields unattended. If Texas remained it's own country, after the civil war, Texas would eventually modernize and slaves would become depleted without loss of life or loss of money. Also as I said Texas would be better off as they could pick an choose laws that best supported their country. As a state, it does not have as much of that freedom. My final reason why Texas should have stayed as a country is because of Taxes.
"the taxes paid to the federal government by Texas would now be staying in Texas. In 2007, this amounted to $225,390,904,000 . The most recent Texas State budget amounted to $182,000,000,000. By changing the location to where tax money goes, Texas could operate effectively on the taxes without any taxes going to anywhere but Texas, keeping money in Texas and lowering taxes or use The monies currently collected for Texas's use could then be used to pay for other things.
It was a real pleasure to debate you, an I thank you for reading. To the Judges, I hope you will take in to consideration what I have said and perhaps vote for me.
Conceptua

Con

As this is the last round, I will refrain from giving any new arguments and show why the arguments I have already given are better than my opponent's. There will be new rebuttals however, because Pro has made new arguments.

My opponent claims that the damage to the economy taken because of the sudden freedom of slaves could have been avoided for keeping them for a while longer. However, there are several reasons why this is not a good reason why Texas should be its own country.

A delay in freeing slaves would have accomplished nothing. There is no reason to believe that a delay would have made Texas loosen its the dependence on slaves for agriculture during that time. The hit to its economy would have happened sometime, and there are two benefits to having it as early as possible. One, Texas would have looked for other ways to make money and use free manpower sooner, and essentially modernize faster. Two, while slaves were not given full freedom immediately when they were freed, the sooner they were freed the sooner they could enter society and regain their rights. As I said, their fundamental human rights were being tread apon and that deserves to be ended as soon as possible. Freedom takes precedence over poverty, as there is no point to having money or being full if you can't do anything you want to do.

The reason why less taxes in Texas isn't a desirable thing has to do with my first rebuttal. If Texas had stayed their own country, they would not have planned on joining the US and giving up their slaves. These assumptions would have ensured that Texas wouldn't have done what they really needed to do with that money, which is making an infrastructure that doesn't depend on slaves. Instead, all of that money wouldnt be used effectively compared to how money could be used once Texas joined the Union. The slaves would have been freed eventually due to America's proximity, but they wouldn't have known that yet.

Thanks for the debate :) Vote Con.
Posted by Conceptua 3 weeks ago
Conceptua
I'll vote on your debate. The reason I wanted you to remove the vote is because I think Death23 is right that the debate was a tie. Political kid really did explain why having laws specific to Texans is a good thing and I should have explained why my impacts were stronger than my opponent's.
Posted by RainbowDash52 3 weeks ago
RainbowDash52
I won't vote for someone who doesn't want me to vote for them. But FYI that vote was my honest opinion, and not a bribe for you to vote in my favor. I can either leave my vote retracted it or restore it, whichever you want, doesn't matter to me.
Posted by Conceptua 3 weeks ago
Conceptua
Well, your RFD made sence. You don't have to if you don't want to.
Posted by Conceptua 3 weeks ago
Conceptua
Only if you remove your vote
Posted by RainbowDash52 3 weeks ago
RainbowDash52
@Conceptua Can you vote on this debate of mine?
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Conceptua 4 weeks ago
Conceptua
ok then
Posted by Death23 4 weeks ago
Death23
I don't have any in the voting period don't worry about it.
Posted by Conceptua 4 weeks ago
Conceptua
Hmm I see. I guess I accept this debate as a tie and be sure to do better in the future. Thanks for the feedback! I'll count this as a tie vote so I'll vote on two of your debates probably tomorrow.
Posted by Death23 4 weeks ago
Death23
I tried to vote, but I couldn't settle on a winner. The problem was that there wasn't enough specific information for me to weigh the impact claims of your arguments vs his. He argued that it would be good for the people of Texas to tailor the laws that apply to it. I agree, and you dropped that arg. You talked about slavery being extended, and I agree that has a significant negative impact. But how many slaves are we talking about and for how long would it have been extended? Nothing there, and the same problem with his arg... no information claimed for impact purposes.
Posted by Conceptua 4 weeks ago
Conceptua
lol

seriously though please vote, Pro made this voting period really short
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 3 weeks ago
RainbowDash52
That1PoliticalKidConceptuaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argued that Texas being its own country means it can make its own laws, but failed to explain how these laws would make texas better than if it had to follow US national laws instead. Con explained that the prolonged existance of slavery that would have resulted from Texas being its own country would have been bad. Edit: Con requested me to remove my vote that was in his favor.