theallknowingginger
Mindplay

Should Texas have the cowboy hat as their"Official" hat

theallknowingginger

Con

I heard recently that a lady is trying to get the cowboy hat to be the official hat of Texas. Thoughts? waste of time? GO!!!
Mindplay

Pro

Sure why not? What other hat could be used as the Texan official headgear? Texas has a history of cowboys and cattle drives. It is the Lone Star State and what do you think of when you hear Lone Star? That's right! The Lone Ranger! He even wears a star. But more importantly what does he wear? You guessed it! A cowboy hat! Texas is always linked to westerns and cowboys. It is its heritage and proud history and what better way to show that than having the most iconic piece of clothing of all that, the cowboy hat, as its official hat. Bring it on partner!
theallknowingginger

Con

Thanks for accepting my 1st debate, which I just found out was required to do, to be able to vote. I have grown up in Texas all my life, and I am far from country. You get tired of being related with that stereotype. Yeah, it could be worse. But if we start allowing the wasting of government money over pointless stuff like this, what will this lead to? Is Massachusetts going to make their state hat a witch hat? Is Tennessee going to be the coonskin hat? When will the madness end? And if cowboy hats should be an official hat for any state it should be New Jersey. That's where the inventor of the cowboy hat was from. they were first manufactured by John Batterson Stetson.

Mindplay

Pro

Yeah I am just doing this so I can vote too. All I can say is that there's a reason for that stereotype and its not at all a bad one. In fact you could argue that the work ethic and honor code usually affiliated with cowboys are very good things and should be promoted like in this instance, by holding up their iconic symbol, the cowboy hat. New Jersey where it may have originated but Texas took it and made it their own, just like how the USA took the German hamburger and made it their own. Even Texas' football team is called the Cowboys. And on the contrary nearly all states have a state motto, a state flower, a state animal a state tree, etc. This attempt to bring a very common headgear into that picture makes much more sense than a flower, wouldn't you say? It will resonate with a lot more people and actually make money for the Texan economy by having Texans and tourists alike purchase the state hat in higher numbers. These seemingly "pointless" things actually are a form of patriotism and identity of the Texan people, which values go back to the very beginnings of the USA. Are flags also pointless stuff? Because they symbolize the same things as what Texas is trying to do with the cowboy hat.
theallknowingginger

Con

Although I understand what your saying. I imagine the state logos depict the beauty and strengths of the state, not noticeable attempts at profit from tourist. Take for example the state bird, The Texas legislature noted that the mockingbird:

"...is found in all parts of the State, in winter and
in summer, in the city and in the country, on the prairie and in the woods and hills...is a singer of distinctive type, a fighter for the protection of his home, falling, if need be, in its defense, like any true Texan..."

That sort of representation of my state I'm totally for, and encourage. Making something belong to a state is not only an honor but a privilege. To try and gain or profit in any way other than to spread the awesomeness and strength of the best state of the United States would be outrageous and insulting to the demeanor, and pride that the state of Texas has clearly worked hard to achieve. I have no problem with patriotism and when it comes to the USA we should do what it takes to maintain the Glory that our Country is known for, however identifying Texas for being a bunch of Cowboys and calling it patriotism are 2 different things. Flags we're never called pointless, they mark territory, represent freedom in our, sense and remind people of the cost of freedom. A cowboy hat is in no way comparable to a state flag....Put a cowboy hat on the ground and what happens...the wind blows it away. What kind of honor blows away?? A state flag never gives up! Ha-ha.

Reference:
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org...
Mindplay

Pro

Mindplay forfeited this round.
theallknowingginger

Con

theallknowingginger forfeited this round.
Mindplay

Pro

Mindplay forfeited this round.