ANGELAO
Espera

Should Texting and Driving have the same Punishment as Drinking and Driving?

Espera
Started: 5/3/2015 Category: Technology

ANGELAO

Pro

I Believe it should with 11 teens killed daily, and 1.6 million car accidents a year.
Espera

Con

Just because you believe something doesn't make it so - it also helps to have context to one's concerns. For instance, you mention teen death and car accidents but don't quantify how these things relate or how they affect your position. The truth of the matter is that's very important: because of the issue of accountability - should a teen be held to the same standards as an adult? And is texting anywhere near as bad as drinking in terms of affecting one's ability to drive? Furthermore shouldn't it be accepted that there are reasons to text whereas there are no reasons to drink outside of pleasure? Also does texting equate to talking on the cell phone and what are the laws regarding that?

The fact of the matter is that the issue is in no way cut and dry. The moreso as bringing in unresourced statistics does nothing to help the discussion. For instance, the CDC states that 1,153 injuring inducing accidents occur daily due to distracted drivers (people doing things other than focusing on the road) and of those only 9 are fatal. In comparison 30 fatal incidents involving driving while drunk occur daily out of hundreds of thousands of injuring inducing accidents occurring daily. Furthermore in 2012 out 1168 traffic death involving children between 0 to 14 years of age 239 were due to drunk driving. Worse better then half those death were from children riding in the same vehicle as the drunk driver.

And that's the sticking point - the reason there are such harsh penalties (depending on location) for drunk driving is because drunk drivers tend to cause an ungodly amount of collateral damage. In 2012 alone drunk driving racked up a good 59 billion dollars in damages. Driving while texting doesn't even begin to come close to any such numbers nevermind not racking up over 30,000+ deaths. And I suppose you could say that it might... but...

Most people who text are younger in age, while most people who drink are older - and that brings back the question of accountability. Should a teen be judged as harshly for something like texting and driving as an adult who willfully got smashed and went for a drive? I don't believe so - distracted driving is dangerous, but drunk driving is stupid and tends to harm innocents more then offenders. Besides which there are reasons for texts such as emergencies, but no reasons to drink except for pleasure... so yeah.
ANGELAO

Pro

ANGELAO forfeited this round.
Espera

Con

As my opponent has forfeited their round after three days to formulate a rebuttal I'll have to assume they conceded. Therefore you ought to vote in favor of myself.
ANGELAO

Pro

ANGELAO forfeited this round.
Espera

Con

As my opponent has forfeited another round I am not under obligation to post further arguments. However, I signed up for this site in order to debate and debate I shall.

Further arguments for why drinking and driving should not be punished akin to driving while drinking.

1.) Texting has not been shown to adversely affect one's basis perception of reality or to drastically alter one's emotional response to events. A person who is reading and sending emotionally charged texts may be upset, but it is doubtful said person will decide a sudden ramming of another person's vehicle is the option. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for drunk drivers. Statistics and studies show that events involving road rage tend to increase with the presence of alcohol.

2.) While distracted a person who texts while driving still retains their basic reflexes, sight, and mental dexterity. It may take a moment to access them (and that is the danger), but they are there. The same can't be said for someone who is fundamentally drunk.

3.) The focus group of either event are not the same in behavior - those who typically drink and drive are an entirely different sect from those who text and drive. As such the somewhat harsh (depending on location and number of incidents) punishment for those who drive drunk is generally not necessary for those who text while driving. A warning and/or fine is generally enough to prevent relapsing into the same behavior.

So that is three more reasons why you can't create a false equivalency between the two topics.
ANGELAO

Pro

ANGELAO forfeited this round.
Espera

Con

And that is another round forfeited - so vote for Con! And thank you for reading.
ANGELAO

Pro

ANGELAO forfeited this round.
Espera

Con

Consider this:

1.) My opponent's entire argument consists of 1 sentence with some rather "off" statistics.

2.) My opponent has forfeited four out of five rounds.

3.) That I am devilishly handsome, and utterly humble.

If one takes all this into consideration, it seems doubtful that one can do anything but vote for my position. So vote Con. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
If you'd like I could accept this, or simply PM me and I'll explain why they are very different things.
Vote Placed by daem0n 1 year ago
daem0n
ANGELAOEsperaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeits and fails to make arguments or cite sources.