Lookingatissues
V5RED

Should The Excuse, "I was dared," be enough to make it Ok for this boy

Lookingatissues

Pro

A young boy forced himself on a girl at school by grabbing her by her clothing and kissing her in a sexually provocative manner. The kissing by the boy of the girl was uninvited and his excuse was, that ," he did it on a dare." is this excuse good enough to let this boy off without having to legally answer for his molesting of this young femalel. If you were the parents of this young girl would the excuse given by the boy satisfy you or would you want the boy to be made to answer to authorities for his unacceptable conduct towards your daughter. Should this boy's punishment be used as an example by the school authorities that this kind of conduct has serious consequences and not to be condoned.
V5RED

Con

No, it should not suffice. I will demonstrate this with reductio ad absurdum.

If this was a legitimate defense, then assassins would be able to use the defense that someone told them to kill a person, so it should be allowed. In fact any harm you cause to anyone else would be considered acceptable as long as someone else asked you to do it.

We are responsible for our actions as long as they are not taken under duress and a dare is not duress.

Deliberately harming an innocent is bad regardless of the motivation. If you think that harming innocents is good, then your moral compass is malfunctioning.

Using his punishment as an example is okay, but it would be better to explain why his actions were wrong.
Lookingatissues

Pro

You posted as part of your response,"Deliberately harming an innocent is bad regardless of the motivation. If you think that harming innocents is good, then your moral compass is malfunctioning..."
I believe that there is some confusion as to what my position is in this debate and I, myself, am a little confused by the options listed. for example under the options for taking a position "for," or "against," It states for the option of (CON,) I am opposed to the Topic." I take this to mean that (CON) doesn't even want the topic discussed.
Under the other option, (Pro,) it States, " I am in favor of the topic." which seems to me, to mean " That I don't mind if the topic is discussed." I too, believe that being dared to do something isn't a valid excuse for some action taken, whatever that action might be and I tried to convey this opinion in my post. I have to believe that this boy was acting upon something that he wanted to do and using the lame excuse that "He was dared to Kiss this young girl was a cover up for something that he wanted to do anyway. I believe, by what you wrote in response, that we are both in agreement on where we stand on this debate.
V5RED

Con

Pro=you are arguing in favor of the proposition, so in this case pro would mean you think that the boy is justified by saying he was dared

Con=you are arguing against the proposition, so in this case con would mean that you do not think that the boy is justified by saying he was dared.

Since we would both take the position of con, there is nothing to debate.

:)
Lookingatissues

Pro

You replied<" Pro=you are arguing in favor of the proposition, so in this case pro would mean you think that the boy is justified by saying he was dared..." ( He wasn't justified in his actions taken.)

Since we would both take the position of con, there is nothing to debate. AS I said before, We're both agreed that the boy was wrong in doing what he did without the girls permission.... We both agree on this but thanks for taking the time to reply to my question that i asked.
V5RED

Con

You are welcome.
Posted by Lookingatissues 1 year ago
Lookingatissues
I believe that there is some confusion as to what my position is in this debate and I, myself, am a little confused by the options listed. for example under the options for taking a position "for," or "against," It states for the option of (CON,).... I am opposed to the Topic." I take this to mean that (CON) doesn't even want the topic discussed.
Under the other option, (Pro,) it States, " I am in favor of the topic." which seems to me, to mean " That I don't mind if the topic is discussed." This is the interpretations that I made from the choices offered However I will assume that your interpretation is correct , using your interpretation I am against the boys behavior. and I feel that a better interpretation for Pro/ CON should have been given.
Posted by Karan_m 1 year ago
Karan_m
I agree with V5RED,if you are taking pro side then it means that you agree that it will do if a boy will give such a reason....So,be clear with yourself before starting a debate.