barryq
Zarroette

Should The US Introduce Premium Bonds?

Zarroette
Started: 4/13/2015 Category: Economics

barryq

Pro

A Premium Bond is a Lottery Bond issued by the United Kingdom government's National Savings and Investments agency. The bonds are entered in a regular prize draw and the government promises to buy them back, on request, for their original price. The bonds were introduced by Harold Macmillan in 1956.

The government pays interest on the bond (1.3% in October 2013). Interest is paid into a fund from which a monthly lottery distributes tax-free prizes, or premiums, to bond-holders whose numbers are selected randomly. The machine that generates numbers is ERNIE, for Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment. Prizes range from "25 to "1,000,000

Premium Bonds, offered by National Savings and Investments (NS&I), are one of the oldest and best known savings products, held by over 21 million people.
The UK Chancellor has announced during Budget that the cap on investments in Premium Bonds will be lifted for the first time since 2003- from "30,000 to "40,000. This will come into effect in June 2014.
NS&I will also offer two "1 million prizes per month, rather than one, from August 2014. In the financial year 2015 to 2016 the investment limit on Premium Bonds will be increased to "50,000.
Zarroette

Con

I accept. I will begin arguments in the second round, seeing that I am negation.

My opponent has plagiarised all of his/her opening arguments from several sources. Make of this what you will:

"A Premium Bond is a Lottery Bond issued by the United Kingdom government's National Savings and Investments agency. The bonds are entered in a regular prize draw and the government promises to buy them back, on request, for their original price. The bonds were introduced by Harold Macmillan in 1956." - http://en.wikipedia.org...

"The government pays interest on the bond (1.3% in October 2013). Interest is paid into a fund from which a monthly lottery distributes tax-free prizes, or premiums, to bond-holders whose numbers are selected randomly. The machine that generates numbers is ERNIE, for Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment. Prizes range from "25 to "1,000,000" - http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Premium Bonds, offered by National Savings and Investments (NS&I), are one of the oldest and best known savings products, held by over 21 million people." - https://www.gov.uk...

"The UK Chancellor has announced during Budget that the cap on investments in Premium Bonds will be lifted for the first time since 2003- from "30,000 to "40,000. This will come into effect in June 2014." - http://paradigmgroup.eu...

"NS&I will also offer two "1 million prizes per month, rather than one, from August 2014. In the financial year 2015 to 2016 the investment limit on Premium Bonds will be increased to "50,000." - http://simplysitesadmin.trustedadviser.info...
barryq

Pro

barryq forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

Zarroette forfeited this round.
barryq

Pro

barryq forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Con

My apologies for the round forfeit. It's my second ever in 100-odd debates and I try awfully hard not to do it because I know how the site is plagued with forfeiting. The internet in my area was absent for nearly a week; that's why I forfeited.

Anyway, all of my opponent's plagiarised arguments are descriptive, in that they merely describe what premium bonds are, rather than arguing why the US should introduce them. In effect, from top to bottom:

"A Premium Bond is a Lottery Bond issued by the United Kingdom government's National Savings and Investments agency. The bonds are entered in a regular prize draw and the government promises to buy them back, on request, for their original price. The bonds were introduced by Harold Macmillan in 1956." - Describes bonds with a little bit of history.

"The government pays interest on the bond (1.3% in October 2013). Interest is paid into a fund from which a monthly lottery distributes tax-free prizes, or premiums, to bond-holders whose numbers are selected randomly. The machine that generates numbers is ERNIE, for Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment. Prizes range from "25 to "1,000,000" - Description of how the bonds could be implemented.

"Premium Bonds, offered by National Savings and Investments (NS&I), are one of the oldest and best known savings products, held by over 21 million people." - There is mention of Premium Bonds being "the best", but this is merely barely asserted.

"The UK Chancellor has announced during Budget that the cap on investments in Premium Bonds will be lifted for the first time since 2003- from "30,000 to "40,000. This will come into effect in June 2014." - Description of current events.

"NS&I will also offer two "1 million prizes per month, rather than one, from August 2014. In the financial year 2015 to 2016 the investment limit on Premium Bonds will be increased to "50,000." - More description of current events.

Summary

The reasons you should vote for me are (1) my opponent plagiarised his/her entire argument, and (2) all of my opponent's arguments have zero impact, due to their almost wholly descriptive nature.

Thank you for reading =)
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
barryqZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both sides forfeited rounds in the debate, and while Pro forfeited more rounds, conduct is tied because each forfeiture is considered severely misconducted, thus conduct shall remain tied. | Spelling & Grammar - Tie. Neither side made any major spelling and/or grammatical errors, and both sides maintained adequate spelling and grammar. Thus, spelling and grammar are tied. | Arguments - Con. Pro had the burden of proof, thus Con needed only to refute Pro's arguments. Pro's "arguments" were merely descriptive of *what* a premium bond is, and the sole constructive "case" presented by Pro was a bare assertion, saying premium bonds are the "best" with no adequate reasoning, as Pro pointed out. These descriptive statements have no impact on the arguments. Thus, arguments to Con. | Sources - Con. Pro's *entire case* was plagiarized, as Con showed, without citing *any* source whatsoever. Con used the only sources. | 5 points to Con. | As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by bluesteel 2 years ago
bluesteel
barryqZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources because Con proves that Pro plagiarized all of his arguments without attribution. Arguments because Con established that Pro failed the BOP to prove that the US *should* introduce premium bonds. Con is correct that Pro merely explains what premium bonds are, but does not explain why they are good or necessary in the United States, or why they are better than the current savings methods available to Americans.