RamMan15
RedDebater

Should There be more Ratings for Video Games?

Started: 5/8/2013 Category: Technology

RamMan15

Pro

Hello, this is the first debate that I have created. My debate is not weather there should be more ratings around the T for teen or E for everybody. I am arguing that there should be more ratings around the M for mature. There are games that are rated M worse than other games rated M. I have played games that are rated M (i.e. Skyrim, Half LIfe 2, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon) but have not played any games with sexual content, nudity, or other bad things such as those.
Now let me be clear. There will be rules in this debate. Here they are:
1) No profanity
2) No Insults
3) No Exceptions.
4) Use the definitions. If you use a term that has a definition, and usethe word in a way other than the definition, then the guilty party hasforfit the debate.
If I or my opponent break these rules, then the guilty party has forfit thedebate.
Also, here are some definitions:
Video Game: Any of various games played using a
microcomputer with a keyboard and often joysticks to
manipulate changes or respond to the action or questions
on the screen. [1]
Video Game Ratings: A video game content rating system is asystem used for the classification of video games into suitability-related groups. [2]
Finally, here is how the debate will go:
First Round is for acceptance only. I know that I have written alot ofthings for this first round, but that is just me. There is no argumentshere. Yet.
The Second Round is only for crafting your own arguments. There willbe no rebuttals. The con cannot rebuttal my arguments in his or hersecond round argument.
The Third Round will be for rebuttals. Each debator will take parts oftheir opponents argument in the second round and give their responceto their arguments.
The Fourth Round is awnsering questions that your opponent put forthin their rebuttals. There can be more arguments for your case in thisround, but this is mainly for asking questions.
The Fith Round is for closing statements. This can include your bacicpremise of an argument or it can awnser some un awnsered questionsput upon you. Finish up your argument here, and give reasons why thevoters should vote for you.
RedDebater

Con

I accept my opponent's requirements and challenge. I wish him good luck!
RamMan15

Pro

Thank you, RedDebater, for accepting my debate. I will be arguing that there should be two ratings in the M for mature rating in video games. There are several reasons for this.

1) There are games that have the F bomb every five seconds in some games that are rated M. Some M rated games are rated M because of blood and gore and some language. Differences in swearing will always affect what games I will play. Games like Skyrim do have some language, but only the D word in that game (as far as I know). A game like Far Cry 3 has the F bomb every five seconds. That game has strong language, nudity, and strong sexual content. [1] This game would be an example of what should be that worse rating of M. A game like Skyrim would be an example of the less inappropriate rating of M.
2) There are some games that people younger than the 17 years old could play. The games I have listed in Round 1 (Skyrim, Half Life 2, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon) these games I have played before I was 17. Children that are younger than 17 play games that only people 17 and older should play, but there are games that children perhaps 15 and older can play.

I look forward to my opponents argument and our rebuttals. Thank you for reading this.
RedDebater

Con

I thank my opponent for his argument and will try and rebuttal it myself. For starters, I want to clarify with my opponent that, per his definition of "Video Game Ratings" we will be using the Entertainment Software Rating Board's (ESRB) system for this debate since it is the most widely used and known one.

My opponent claims that language should be a deciding factor in gaming ratings, namely if a game only has language it shouldn't be bumped up to an R rating. I would agree with this point, only the problem is we already have that in place. Language definitely gets a game from E10 to T, for sure, but I do not recall any game that has been unfairly rated M by the ESRB for simply language. My opponent uses the famed fantasy game Skyrim as an example of this, but as the ESRB site review for the game shows, Skyrim was not rated M for language at all! Instead, it received the rating for: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol (http://www.esrb.org...).

On the other hand, Far Cry 3's ESRB review specifically mentions Strong Language (http://www.esrb.org...), but in addition to: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs. If my opponent claims that language was the deciding factor, I strongly believe him to be wrong as we can clearly see that, comparing it with Skyrim, FC3 appears to have nudity, strong sexual content, and drug use over Skyrim, not just the language factor. If my opponent can find a better example I'd be more than happy to debate it, but clearly this one does not work.

2) My opponent is using a very opinionated and biased argument in his second point about what games a 17 year old and an younger than 17 year old could play. The ESRB ratings are simply recommendations in themselves and not forced factors. In the end, it's up to a child's parents on what games they will let their kid play. I've personally known 10-year olds who've played M games such as Call of Duty and yet I know other people 17 years old who are strictly not allowed to play M games until they turn 18. Either way I do not believe this point has much ground and recommend my opponent either drop it or reclarify it in un-biased manner.

I look forward to my opponent's response!
RamMan15

Pro

First of all, I would like to point out that RedDebator did not post his argument in the second round. This is okay, I was asking a little much from him. Also, he is a much better debater than me, and I am failing at this debate. Anyway, let me answer his rebuttals.

As for my opponents arguments, I was not saying that swearing should be the only factor in rating a video game. I was saying that language should affect what games the gamer should play. If a game has language but not the F bomb (i.e. StarCraftII) then that game should have a rating of 15+. I apologize for my poor examples in my previous arguments.

Also, as for my opponents second point, I would like to point out that he is very much right. I misspoke my point about games that people younger than 17 years old can play. I was speaking of options. When I saw the commercial for Skyrim, I was all for it, until the announcer said "Rated M for mature." Then the game was not an option. This was my point.

I look forward to my opponents counter-counter argument!
RedDebater

Con

RedDebater forfeited this round.
RamMan15

Pro

I will post nothing of any importance in this round, since my opponent forfeited his argument. I will now continue to speak of the wonders of He-Man. There is one bad thing about this He-Man though, and it is that he does not wear enough clothes. Seriously. He wears a kind of strap on his chest and a loincloth. Anyway, let me continue. He-Man is the most powerful man in the universe. He is a prince, and just by raising his sword and saying "By the power of Greyskull....I have the power!!!!" he can turn him and his cat into epic macho dudes. How can that be lame? I ask you HOW?!?!?!? Also he was made in the 80s. EVERYTHING IN THE 80s ARE AWESOME!!!!! Sorry for the caps there. I think that my point has been made.
RedDebater

Con

RedDebater forfeited this round.
RamMan15

Pro

RamMan15 forfeited this round.
RedDebater

Con

RedDebater forfeited this round.