Eliter
henryajevans

Should Tokyo do the 2020 Olympics?

henryajevans

Eliter

Con

I do not think that Tokyo should do the 2020 Olympics. They have leakage of their nuclear power plant. Thus, they are not prepared. But, this is what I think. I would love to hear my opponents mind first.
henryajevans

Pro

The Olympics will offer a much-needed boost to the Japanese Economy, which has been dragging itself for the last fifteen years. A boost in demand such as that brought by the Olympics would help to relieve the deflationary pressure and revitalise economic growth.
Eliter

Con

Tokyo shouldn't hold the 2020 Olympics because, I don't think Olympians want to go to Tokyo cause, there is many oil spills. Yet, the leakage of the Nuclear reactor. Don't everybody agree? Do you think Olympians want to risk their life to go to Tokyo for the Olympics? I am just saying Tokyo shouldn't hold the 2020 Olympics because it's not safe to take any sports there.

Sources: http://www.buzzfeed.com...

This is source is the opposite to what I am saying. So, do not get me wrong!
henryajevans

Pro

henryajevans forfeited this round.
Eliter

Con

Forfeiting is not acceptable. Please reply on Round 3 if you give up, or if you do not want to debate any more.
henryajevans

Pro

henryajevans forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
EliterhenryajevansTied
Reasons for voting decision: The status quo is that Tokyo is hosting the 2020 Olympics. Con therefore has the burden of proof to show that they should not. But Con didn't present a trace of evidence that radiation was a danger to athletes in Tokyo or that athletes thought there was a danger. Con presented evidence that the IOC awarded the games with a substantial majority, and we can presume they considered any possible danger as part of their decision. When the side with burden of proof fails to meet that burden, the other side can say nothing and still win. Pro's economic argument didn't amount to anything, bt it doesn't matter. Pro loses conduct for forfeiting, but Con didn't advance his case in the forfeited rounds. con should have come up with somebody --there's always an academic somewhere-- who thinks there's a danger. Pro, of course, should have found a source saying it was safe, but with Con having the burden of proof that was unnecessary.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
EliterhenryajevansTied
Reasons for voting decision: con gave some of the absolutely most idiotic arguments for his side of the debate that I have ever seen. They were so bad that they themselves still fell short of con meeting his BoP even though Pro forfeited every round. Argument points go to no one since neither side gave any that had a shred of logic in them, but conduct to the con since pro did forfeit every round