masonjackson
clmcd42

Should Track become more of a major name sport in America.

Started: 1/14/2015 Category: Sports

masonjackson

Pro

Yes, of course it should. Like any other sport it has people who enjoy watching and participating in it. The reason i think that it isn't a major sport in America is that they don't have state teams. If State teams, for example: Tennessee Titans, did become a thing in track, then i think more people would come and watch it to support their state's team.

Track runners are Athletes just like football or baseball players. Of course sports like football are more enjoyable to watch, but is that because of the loyalty or patriotism towards the team? I believe it is.
clmcd42

Con

Track will never be a major sport in America. The fact of the matter is, people simply don't enjoy watching it. The reason that football, baseball, soccer, and basketball are major sports is because they have large fanbases, and therefore bring in lots of money. A 2013 poll by Gallup showed that only about 1% of people polled had track and field as their favorite sport (1).

People usually enjoy watching games a little bit more complicated than track. Track is like NASCAR, but without the crashes, and a lot slower.

Of course track runners are athletes, but their sport is simply not as enjoyable to viewers as other sports, and it will never bring in enough money to be considered a major sport.

(1) http://www.gallup.com...
masonjackson

Pro

Yes your right. If track was a popular sport I wouldn't have posted the debate. I have stated the reason track isn't popular like football or basketball. Track was the highest regarded sport ever played. Then the world sped up,so track became less important with every passing day. You can argue that that is one reason why track shouldn't be a sport, but then again, its also a reason why track should. Our time period has been brief compared to other time periods. Older tine periods loved the sport of running and I believe they still would.
clmcd42

Con

I never said that track wasn't a sport. In fact, I clearly stated that it is. Is your only argument that people of the past would like track? That is a very poor arguement, due to the fact that the people you are referring to, namely the ancient Greeks, are all dead. Like I previously stated, track is too boring for most viewers, and will never make enough money to be considered a major name sport. I would appreciate it if you would actually respond to my argument this time, instead of stating that I don't think that track is a sport and that ancient civilizations liked it.
masonjackson

Pro

Being rude and snappy is never the answer. The 1% who do find the sport interesting might acutely be right. How do you know that our society is turning stupid and are turning towards sports that are all about action. If people didn't have such boring lives they wouldn't have to turn to such barbaric sports such as football. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy football, I even used to play.
clmcd42

Con

Rude and snappy? I was merely pointing out the invalidity of your argument. There is not an especially nice way to do that, but I was by no means attempting to be rude.

"The 1% who do find the sport interesting might acutely be right."

How interesting a sport is to an individual is subjective. There is no "right" or "wrong" when talking about how interesting something is.

The vast majority of the population does not find track interesting, and therefore it will not be a popular sport unless you can convince them to become interested in it, which is impossible, as interest is not a conscious action.

Let's take a look at Oxford's definition of barbaric, shall we?

1. Savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal

I would agree that football is more brutal than track.

2. Primitive, unsophisticated

Track definitely meets this definition a lot better than football. Track is primitive; you said it yourself, it was only popular in ancient times. Track is unsophisticated; all it involves is running in circles.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...