AcidicApples
luls

Should Trans Kids Be Able To Use The Bathroom For The Gender They Identify With?

luls has forfeited round #2.

AcidicApples

Pro

I, Pro, will be arguing that Transgender kids should be allowed to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with. The first round will be for acceptance only. The debate will be set up this way:

2nd round: Pro will make opening statement.
3rd round: Expansion into opening statement, including cited facts and details.
4th round: Rebuttals
5th round: Closing statements.
luls

Con

I have supported transgender rights since forever, but I just can't be in favour on this one. First of all I can't understand why they're making such a big deal out of this topic. If it really is just "entering the bathroom, doing your business and getting out" like trans people claim it is, then why can't they do that in the bathroom for the gender they were assigned at birth? There is my second argument: biological sex, which we all know differs from gender identity. To go to the toilet you need, in one way or another, to use your genitalia- penis or vulva. Hence, public toilets aren't actually separated according to gender but according to biological sex.
AcidicApples

Pro

As Pro, I believe trans kids and all trans people should be able use the bathroom they identify with. I will be arguing with the following points:
- By denying an entire group of people this luxury is to create an oppressive system for the trans community. It erases their existence to live side-by-side cis-gendered people.
- The initial HB2 bill was based on discriminatory and outright untrue facts.
- Not allowing kids to use the bathroom they identify with can lower self esteem and negatively affect the well-being of a child.
Posted by epicemmy9 9 months ago
epicemmy9
Although I am totally in support of trans rights, I do believe there are certain problems with this proposition. For example, if you're letting anyone who claims they are a girl enter the girls' bathroom, that means a boy who identifies as a boy can just randomly walk into the girls' bathroom because they think it's funny. As a girl, I would feel extremely violated by this. There isn't really a way to set up rules for this either.
Also, I agree with the statement that if this "go in, do their business, get out" process is really as simple as it sounds, why does it even matter?