Ghoscat321
Klaw_with_a_K

Should Trump build a wall between the USA and Mexico?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Voting Period

Ghoscat321

Con

As quoted by Nancy Pelosi: "The Democrats do not support the [border] wall. And I think that the Republicans on the border states do not support the wall" The wall is, in my view, immoral, expensive, [and] unwise" The President talks about how tall it is, who's going to pay for it, and all the rest of that. But you have to understand this part of the country. There's a community with the border going through it. The President, I think, talking about this wall is expressing a sign of weakness. He's saying, 'I can't control our borders. I have to build a wall.' We certainly would like to-- We have a responsibility to control our borders. Building a wall is not an answer, not here or any place."
Klaw_with_a_K

Pro

Either there will be a wall built between Mexico & the U.S. or the U.S. will cease to exist as a separate country from Mexico. Unless Mexico wants to be absorbed into the U.S., they will cooperate with the construction.
Ghoscat321

Con

Why should they cooperate? They are a completely separate country as us. Our borders are fine as they are now. Mexico doesn't have to agree. It is up to THEIR government to enforce laws and agreements. Plus, they are in a financial crisis right now, and Trump wants them to pay for the wall. ("I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I"ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I"ll have Mexico pay for that wall." Sources: Donald Trump"s presidential announcement speech.)

This so-called "great great" wall he plans to build and have Mexico pay for, will put Mexico in a financial debt and breakdown.
Klaw_with_a_K

Pro

Mexico's internal drug war / civil war has been spilling over into the U.S. The borders are not clear-cut as you state, otherwise there would not be so many millions of illegal aliens within our borders, fleeing their own country's violence & poor economy. Saying otherwise is worse than disingenuous. If Mexico wants to remain an independent nation, they will have no choice but to honor the U.S.'s need for a tangible border, because either through longterm entropy or through our own invasion of their country, there will ultimately be a price to be paid for their invasion of our country. We are the only global power in existence. Mexico overestimates its ability to continue using American extremists who side with Mexico instead of their own country. Eventually, this strategy Mexico is using will no longer work.
Ghoscat321

Con

As a presidential candidate, Trump began his campaign by attacking Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists and kept the show going by attacking a federal judge of Mexican-American descent in a way that Speaker Paul Ryan described as "the textbook definition of a racist comment."
Also, building a wall in the middle of the Rio Grande (which is where Trump plans to build it,) would be challenging for obvious reasons, but there are also legal issues. A treaty signed by Mexico and the US in 1889 prevents any disruption to the flow of the river, meaning any border wall would probably have to be built on its banks. This presents obvious problems.
Plus, The U.S.-Mexican border is already well defended, and a wall won"t improve the defenses. The United States now spends $3.7 billion per year to keep some 21,000 Border Patrol agents on guard and another $3.2 billion on 23,000 inspectors at ports of entry along the border, a third of which is already walled or fenced off.
Klaw_with_a_K

Pro

Globalists like to pretend building a wall would be harmful. How is preventing illegal aliens from invading your country harmful? A wall would save upwards of hundreds of millions of tax dollars every year, which is purely beneficial.
Vote Placed by ConserativeDemocrat 3 days ago
ConserativeDemocrat
Ghoscat321Klaw_with_a_KTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has a very simple job: prove that we should build a wall on the US-Mexico border. To do this, he has to prove that the wall would work at fixing a problem, that this problem is even worth solving, and the benefits of the wall outweigh any downsides. Pro doesn't fulfill any of these criteria. He doesn't prove a wall will be effective, nor does he prove that illegal immigration is even bad. Lastly, he fails to address Con's point that building a wall is too expensive. I vote Con.
Vote Placed by Leaning 6 days ago
Leaning
Ghoscat321Klaw_with_a_KTied
Reasons for voting decision: With the debate being about SHOULD Trump build a wall, certain considerations such as Mexico paying doesn't hold much weight. The wall effecting the river and residents are good arguments but so are Pros arguments for how Mexico drugs and people crossing illegally have been a problem. I think the arguments are pretty much equal and don't feel either side really addressed the others arguments or detailed on the how and why of their own arguments enough. So I'm just voting for a tie.
Vote Placed by Astal3 6 days ago
Astal3
Ghoscat321Klaw_with_a_KTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides relied heavily on conjecture to support their arguments. This alone determines there is no winner as neither side moved me to change or strengthen my previously held position.