monsterdanny
Mitchy123

Should Twitter establish and enforce bullying, harassment, and hate speech policies?

monsterdanny

Pro

Should Twitter establish and enforce bullying, harassment, and hate speech policies that will not be in favor of those actions being performed on that site? Other sites have policies in place against these topics.
Mitchy123

Con

Before I begin this debate I would like to establish that bullies disgust, they make me cringe and I have no desire to help or defend them during this argument.

Twitter is an easy tool for people like bullies to speak hate of others and to establish and enforce policies against hate is only a logical reaction to this. Even though this might seem logical, is it necessarily going to have any effect and is it the right thing to do? No, it won't.

1.) How are you going to distinguish hate speech from honest opinions?
Maybe you think somebody sucks and you decide to let them know about it through twitter, you are stating your honest opinion but you hate at the same moment so how is twitter going to figure out whether to block this message or not? To know whether it's hate or not you will need emotional knowledge about the two persons tweeting to each other, which is something twitter does not have about you.

2.) It defeats the purpose of twitter.
Twitter was created so that you could write whatever is on your mind, quick and simple. You are not writing entire essays but mostly impulsive stuff like feelings or things that are happening. By establishing these policies and enforcing them it won't be as quick and easy as it is now, your opinion might be misinterpreted by others and blocked from twitter. Why would you want to even use twitter if you can't say whatever you want? If you don't even have the freedom of speech to criticized others or receive criticism from others because it could be blocked by twitter because it's too offensive. This brings me to my third point.

3.) It will harm our freedom of speech.
Without these policies you might not always see the prettiest words go by as you scroll through your time line but at least you see real words. Twitter shouldn't sugar coat tweets to make it less offensive for others. In my opinion if you get offended by tweets you should either respond to them or un-follow the person who is tweeting it, either way, it is your problem and you should learn to deal with it and not twitter. Outside of twitter there is something called the real world where you can't always be protected by policies and where you need to deal with things yourself, you can make twitter a prettier place but in the real world, nothing will change, so why not keep twitter a part of our real world?

4.) Bullying and hating will not stop because of these policies.
This last argument might seem a little far out but maybe we should put our time and effort into actually respecting each other instead of pretending to get along because of twitter policies. Okay that might have been a bit over the top but hopefully you get my point.

I look forward to hearing a response from my opponent, especially because this is my first debate. I hope I got my point across in this first round and please excuse me for any grammar or spelling mistakes (or just general debating mistakes), I am new to this and am eager to learn so please let me know what you think.
monsterdanny

Pro

monsterdanny forfeited this round.
Mitchy123

Con

Mitchy123 forfeited this round.
monsterdanny

Pro

monsterdanny forfeited this round.
Mitchy123

Con

Mitchy123 forfeited this round.
monsterdanny

Pro

monsterdanny forfeited this round.
Mitchy123

Con

Mitchy123 forfeited this round.
monsterdanny

Pro

monsterdanny forfeited this round.
Mitchy123

Con

Mitchy123 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
monsterdannyMitchy123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL.