KyleED
HauntedShadows

Should UK schools allow laptops in school?

HauntedShadows

KyleED

Con

Laptops may distract people from their learning if used too often.
HauntedShadows

Pro

I accept. I take it that this is a round of acceptance, so best of luck to my opponent in the following round/s. I look forward to hearing your arguments!
KyleED

Con

A lot of schools nowadays allow the use of laptops in classes and in the general school grounds. However, the majority of UK schools do not condone the use of most electrical devices unless they supply it (calculators, etc). Laptops will give students the ability to bypass security systems set by the school on their computers and possibly give incentive to go on websites like Face book instead of studying and what not during lesson.

Students would have the ability to use their laptop during a lesson which may distract them from actually doing class work. Carrying a laptop to and from school could lead to an increase in theft and/or damage to the laptop also.
HauntedShadows

Pro

Thank you for your speedy response!

I will argue against Con's points, quotes from his arguments will be in bold.

"...the majority of UK schools do not condone the use of most electrical devices unless they supply it (calculators, etc). Laptops will give students the ability to bypass security systems..."

It is true that a lot of schools now allow the use of laptops in classes, however I fail to see the argument in your argument as you have contradicted yourself. Your statement: "...the majority of UK schools do not condone... electrical devices unless they supply it..." suggests that UK schools only accept the usage of electrical devices if they supply it. This in itself is not an issue, however when read together with your next sentence:

"Laptops will give students the ability to bypass security systems..."

When we look at this sentence along with the previous one, I must come to the conclusion that schools will prove the laptops, otherwise they will not allow them in their classes. Therefore, any security systems in place will have been put there by the school, excluding manufacturer installed programs. What this suggests is that students (ages 4-18, if we include primary, secondary and college) have the knowledge to bypass said systems. I do not believe there are any/many students with sufficient knowledge to bypass these systems. Also, because the security programs will have been installed by the school, it will have have blocked all content (such as Facebook), from these laptops.

This is the contradiction I speak of; you state for the school to allow laptops in class it must be a laptop issued by the school (and therefore is installed with security programs), but then go on to say that these laptops are means to bypass these systems.

"Students would have the ability to use their laptop during a lesson which may distract them from actually doing class work."

I effectively answered this in the above paragraphs. However, most PC's in schools are all connected to a server, which is normally moderated by an IT technician/IT team. Anyone misusing their laptop in class would eventually be caught, and so the school would be alerted if there was an issue.

"Carrying a laptop to and from school could lead to an increase in theft and/or damage to the laptop also."
An easy solution which I know some schools local to my area use, is they simply keep the laptops in school at all times, unless with special permission. This means the laptops will rarely leave the school, where they can go 'missing', and drastically limits the amount of people being able to steal them out of the hands of students whilst they walk home.

Schools do have an insurance policy, as a last resort, which whilst doesn't prevent theft or damage, would cover any such incidents.

I look forward to a continued debate!
KyleED

Con

My initial thoughts in my argument were a basis on the debate. The supplying of electrical devices was to explain how schools do not allow any personal electronic devices and only allow the use of school computers or calculators. However, I would not expect a school to supply the laptops, I was merely stating how UK schools tend to only allow the usage of the things they currently supply.

The school could set up a firewall which is fair enough but it's relatively simple to attain a proxy and through the transfer of information, spread the instructions to other students. It would be borderline impossible to avoid students bypassing the systems the school sets up through their network without limiting them to the extent that they can barely use their own laptop.

Fair enough technicians could monitor usage but it would be intensive to monitor the possibility of hundreds of students on at any one time and also be able to pursue when a student is doing something unrelated to the work. Even then, I know from experience that technicians rarely ever pursue any attempt to bypass as I tried several times when I was in school to do so and they did very little, if anything. To be fair though, my school didn't allow us on anything at all except what they had on their 'allowed' list.

My point of view is that the laptops used would be brought in from home which I should have clarified before you started but many students, including myself, would not feel that their laptops are safe in school nor do some schools actually have the suitable storage facilities. Even when they have a storage facility it may not be secure enough to hold potentially hundreds of expensive laptops which could be singled out and removed upon request. Keep in mind that from experience my school had no single locker or storage space for any students.
HauntedShadows

Pro

My apologies for being unable to continue this round; I have been overwhelmed with my studies. I hope we can continue this debate after this round now that I've managed to free up some time.

Again, my apologies to my opponent.
KyleED

Con

KyleED forfeited this round.
HauntedShadows

Pro

HauntedShadows forfeited this round.
KyleED

Con

KyleED forfeited this round.
HauntedShadows

Pro

HauntedShadows forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
KyleEDHauntedShadowsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better arguments by Pro.