BJakl22
Debating_Horse

Should "Under God" Be Taken Out of The Pledge of Allegiance

BJakl22 has forfeited round #2.

BJakl22

Pro

I say yes. In the united states constitution it clearly says "freedom of religion" and me being an atheist, having to say "under god" offends me. Having to say "under god" implies that there is a higher person above us but being an atheist I disagree with that. Therefore I say the statement "under god" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance.
Debating_Horse

Con

The pledge of allegiance is simply a pledge. Just because the "under god" part offends you does not mean it should be taken out of the pledge. If the part were to be inappropriate, then that would be acceptable, but the pledge is historic, and if it hurts your feelings, then you will have to deal with it because that is how the pledge was made.

Now here were the first verisons "made through wikipedia"

1892 (first version)

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

1892 to 1923

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
1923 to 1954

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

1954 (current version)

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

https://en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

Let's look at this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com...

"
Massachusetts court rules ‘under God’ in pledge does not discriminate against atheists"

"The Supreme Judicial Court said the words “under God” in the pledge reflect patriotic practice, not a religious one. The court acknowledged that the wording has a “religious tinge” but said it is fundamentally patriotic and voluntary."

The "under god" is patriotic, not religious".
Posted by Dr.Evil39 5 months ago
Dr.Evil39
I do not believe the words " under God" should ever be removed as although I may not believe entirely that who or what we call "God" is really what we may think He is, our country was founded with the belief that there is a higher power, a "God" even if called by a different name. Most people who live in this country still believe in some kind of higher power, God, Allah, pagan gods, aliens, or even if you believe in pure evolution and nothing else that makes Mother Nature your God and the laws of physics is your bible. But my main point is that "God" has become an all encompassing being, beings or evelutionary process everyone understands and accepts in their own way, why change a long standing American tradition when "One Nation, under God, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" still totally applies. And to the very small percentage of you who are trully offended by the term" God", you are vastly outnumbered and in our nation under God majority rules.
Posted by Villain 6 months ago
Villain
The question here is not about being offended. The question here is the principle on which a country functions. In the case the the pledge "One nation under God" is God necessary?

Even the people speaking against would feel offended if the term was 'one nation under Allah'.

The fundamental essence of the country is it's constitution and not the holy book of the country's largest religion.
Posted by Debating_Horse 6 months ago
Debating_Horse
Response to DrCereal:

DrCereal's Question was: "what makes you say that they are patriotic, Debating_Horse?"

Answer: What makes me say that they are patriotic? It is that it is an "American" form of allegiance, not intentionally a religious form. I hope I make sense to you in my response, if it is not clear, I will attempt to better my response.
Posted by Intellisio 6 months ago
Intellisio
I am really excited to see how this debate turns out! I was previously debating on this topic so this will be fun to watch. Also I am on the side that "under god" should remain in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Posted by SirNoodles518 6 months ago
SirNoodles518
How do you British atheists feel when they have to sing "God save the Queen"? xD

It's pretty obvious though that pledging to "ONE NATION under God" means that you're pledging to the fact that the US is/should be one united nation. It's not at all offensive either.
Posted by DrCereal 6 months ago
DrCereal
Though I agree that the words "under God" are not discriminatory (anyone who does is a pansy), what makes you say that they are patriotic, Debating_Horse?
Posted by levi_smiles 6 months ago
levi_smiles
Why pledge allegiance to a flag at all? To make an ally of the Republic makes a certain sort of sense but who follows flag for flag alone? And even should the Republic fall, are we not still allied as a people? Why not pledge allegiance to our fellow Americans, if that's essentially who the flag is meant to represent?