Jathushan
Kumquatodor

Should Uniforms be mandatory in middle school?

Started: 8/8/2013 Category: Economics

Jathushan

Pro

I thank the person who has decided to debate with me. I come to realize that the children of today's world must be changed. The behavior is not as good as it could be nor is the community of them. The world of children must be changed as it is visible to many people that children have started to veer off the correct, mature path due to the negative influences that is found in today's society. Uniforms have been a debated issue for several years, whether schools should take in the idea of uniforms or not. It has its slight drawbacks people may claim, such as restraint and control of clothing. However, the benefits for students, parents and staff outweigh the miniscule issues. There are multiple benefits regarding, behavior, prevention of segregation and bully protection. Also, daily benefits regarding simple economy, school"s moral and mental strength. These benefits are what people may take for granted; but in reality, not everyone is able to have such support. Many people in this country face bullying, or are facing depression. Uniforms can help protect them and would bring a school closer together as one community. Learn about the truth and the benefits that uniforms have.
Kumquatodor

Con

I accept. Thank you.
Jathushan

Pro

Thank you Kumquatodor for accepting this debate. One of my arguments I would like to bring attention to is the decrease in bullying. Many believe that uniforms lower the threat of bullying in school as people will have the same appearances and so, it is very difficult to determine who to beat up as everyone has the same clothing. Uniforms create and boast personal safety. Uniforms are to be worn by all people in the school and so, bullies find it hard to bully. In many cases, bullies rely on physical appearances and clothing to determine what to do with them. In reality, with the same clothing, size can then be deceiving. It becomes difficult to determine one"s strength unless they cower in fear. Uniforms create a sense of safety as from www.statisticbrain.com has proved that 41% parents and 86% teachers believe that there is a better sense of safety in the class. It will be difficult to bully someone but, it can also discourage bullies. The reason is that people find it difficult to beat up someone who is wearing identical cloths as bullies usually believe superiority among others. Bullies find it difficult and discouraging to bully as people find it hard to harm someone that looks like them. Usually, serious bullying can result of suspension and other consequences; however, it has been statistically proved that uniforms are decreasing crime and suspension at school. USA, a country that had uniforms for many years is a great example of progress as they used uniforms for many years. According to www.statisticbrain.com , crime rate has decreased by 91%, school suspension decreased by 90%, sex offences decreased by 96%, vandalism decreased by 69% and assaults on kindergarten to grade 8 decreased by 85%. There are also other factors, such as with unity, as the number of bullies itself decrease as uniforms promote unity. With that the case, less bullies lead to less victims. Another factor is that people who are wearing uniforms feel more mentally fit and so they would not cower in fear in bullies as much. Due to that, the point of bullying is useless, unless one fears of it. Also, when bullying occurs, more people would stick up against it as they do not believe that a bully can stop all of them. People would not be a bystander that does nothing but instead, a bystander who would stop the bullying. As stated before, uniforms have multiple benefits against bullying which would help those who think about suicide or depression due to them.
Kumquatodor

Con

I shall start with rebuttals!

The world of children must be changed as it is visible to many people that children have started to veer off the correct, mature path due to the negative influences that is found in today's society.
How so? The problem with this claim is that it is completely untrue.

My point is this: there have always been young delinquents.

In the 360 BC, kids were terrible! Satan was a bad influence!
In 1950,kids were even worse! Elvis Presley is a bad influence!
In 1960, kids were just bad! The hippies were bad influences!
In 1970, kids were mean! Those Communists were bad influences!
In 1980, kids are violent! Led Zepaline was a bad influence!
In 1990, kids are evil! Marilyn Manson is a bad influence!
In 2000, kids are angry! Call of Duty is a bad influence!
In 2010, kids are bullying! Um... Vi... Tel... Clothes are a bad influence! Yeah! That's good!

Do you see a patern? Parents are refusing to take responsibility for their parenting.

As I have shown, it is not a new idea that this generation is worse than all the others! This was a common trope in 1999, and it will be a common trope in 5999!
____________________________________________________
It (uniforms) has its slight drawbacks people may claim, such as restraint and control of clothing.
Slight? There are more than slight draw-backs; I'll expand on this later.
____________________________________________________________
Many believe that uniforms lower the threat of bullying in school
These people are wrong, and I'll show you why.

Bullying was a huge problem in Livingston County Middle School.

Then we got a new principal. The lady put her foot down. She began a crusade against bullying. She attacked it from every angle.

She increase teacher awareness.
She looked through the hallways for injustice.

The problem still existed. So what did she do? She took the highest scoring, most trusted students and made a small platoon of fighters to raise awareness of the bullying. She equipped the students with the tools neccessary recognise and combat the problems plagueing the school.

You see, some of our group were "in the know". They were placed at the heart of the decadence to strike.

Due to the efforts put forth, several bullies were reported and got the counseling needed.

Under these efforts, bullying decreased substantially in three months.

Now, let's look at my opponents' sollution.

as people will have the same appearances and so, it is very difficult to determine who to beat up as everyone has the same clothing.
Let us ask the basic question: why do people bully? The answer is fairly obvious: the bully wishes to feel dominance or social acceptance.

And thus, a weaker person's clothing is only a means to an end to fulfill these needs.

Imagine if you will: a bully is looking for their target.

On the left, in the blue blazer:
Standing at 5'5,
Weighing in at 102 lbs,
Sweating profusely,
The kid with the glasses,
Stew Pidname!

On the right, in the hand-me-down Woodstock '72 t-shirt:
Standing at 5'8,
Weighing in at 165 lbs,
Surounded by friends,
The football player,
Awesome McCoolname!

Answer me this: if you wished to exert your dominance, who would you choose? More importantly, would that be based on what they were wearing?

Now re-imagine this, except this time, with uniforms.

On the left, in the white polo-shirt:
Standing at 5'5,
Weighing in at 102 lbs,
Sweating profusely,
The kid with the glasses,
Stew Pidname!

On the right, in the white polo-shirt:
Standing at 5'8,
Weighing in at 165 lbs,
Surounded by friends,
The football player,
Awesome McCoolname!

Has your decision changed? Are you now going to attack Weightlifter?

I didn't think so.
______________
In many cases, bullies rely on physical appearances and clothing to determine what to do with them. In reality, with the same clothing, size can then be deceiving. It becomes difficult to determine one"s strength unless they cower in fear
I'll use a 3 examples of real people to prove you wrong.

"Robert"
Disregarding what this kid wore, this kid was at an obvious physical disadvantage:

He was really short for his age. (5'2)
He was really skinny.
He wore glasses.

He did have one advantage, though: he had a plethora of friends.

"Jarrod"
Disregarding what the kid wore, this kid was at an obvious physical advantage.

He was really tall for his age. (5'9)
He was bulkier in size. (In muscle)
He had perfect sight.

He also had another advantage: he had a plethora of friends.

Dylan
I am fairly tall for my age. (5'7)
I am really skinny. (Almost anorexic looking).
I wear glasses.

I have another huge disadvantage: I had few friends.

Now, regardless of what these kids wear, it is obvious the kind of shape they're in, and how many people would defend them. Who would you choose to bully?
__________________________________________________

Uniforms create a sense of safety as from www.statisticbrain.com has proved that 41% parents and 86% teachers believe that there is a better sense of safety in the class.
What about the 59%? The 14%? This is a large amount of disagreements.
______________________________________________________________
Bullies find it difficult and discouraging to bully as people find it hard to harm someone that looks like them.
I don't believe you. Please provide evidence.
______________________________________
According to www.statisticbrain.com , crime rate has decreased by 91%,
Cool. So... 91% of "crime" is caused by lack of uniforms? How so?
school suspension decreased by 90%,
How is suspension linked to uniforms?
sex offences decreased by 96%,
So, do teenagers suddenly stop feeling attraction to the opposite gender?
vandalism decreased by 69%
"Stupid teachers! They allowed me to choose what to wear! I'm gonna scratch their paint!"
and assaults on kindergarten to grade 8 decreased by 85%.
Assaults by whom? Other students.

If it is the feeling of unity that uniforms promote, then why not just promote unity? Bullying was ripped to pieces when we promoted unity through choice.
Jathushan

Pro

Jathushan forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
Jathushan

Pro

Jathushan forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.