npower14
ConservativeDialectic

Should VCE Exams be compulsory?

npower14 has forfeited round #2.

npower14

Con

What is everyone's opinions about end of year exams? It can cause some mental health problems in youth, which could develop later in life. It is also not a real representation of the attainment of knowledge, as it is really a test of who has the best photographic memory. The stakes are too high, if you don't get the score, it can be a complete change for those who want to study something, they could take years to get back on the right path they would have if they originally got the score. It can also put a downer on those who don't get the score, even though there are other ways to get there, they might give up! What's everyone else's views?
ConservativeDialectic

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for posing an interesting question. I am admittedly not familiar with the Victorian state academic standards, so I've dedicated a little more preparation time on this topic than I normally would.

The VCE is an academic accreditation on par with a traditional High School diploma, with the exception that it's geared toward the 11th and 12th grade, making the 2 year course a bit more robust than it's American counterpart.

My opponent laments having to undergo a final examination at the EOC (end of course), which I find odd, considering that "test taking" is the hallmark metric by which an academic institution measures academic proficiency.

All the arguments my opponent has furnished in his / her either lament physiological stressors caused by nervousness, which is generally treated through preparedness, or he /she complains about the content of the examination.

Neither of these objections actually merit an outright abandonment of testing as a metric. At best they suggest that the students must either:

A.> Prepare better for the test

or

B.> Petition for amendments to the test, so it better reflects the curriculum.

I look forward to a great debate.

Posted by Smithereens 5 months ago
Smithereens
Woah a Victorian student :O so rare. I just did the VCE last year. Trust me you're over dramatizing a trivial issue if you think it's that bad.