Debate-King
Plato85

Should Vicious Pets Such as Pit Bulls and Snakes be Banned?

Debate-King has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Debate-King

Con

I don't think that they should be banned because it's just a stereotype that pit bulls and snakes are vicious pets. Pit bulls only attack because they are trained to do so, or they're scared. More people train pit bulls instead of other dogs because their bodies are just more muscular than other dogs.
Snakes on the other hand, I've heard people saying that they grow up to be huge and vicious creatures. Which, some of the most popular breeds of snakes to have as pets include the corn snake and the ball python, which are not venomous and have a reluctance to bite. They also do not grow up to be huge and vicious creatures.
If your kid gets hurt while playing with one of these animals, make sure that you're watching your kids around all animals. Even the kindest of creatures could turn on someone if they're not treating them correctly.
Plato85

Pro

Your argument is that vicious breeds of animals should not be banned.

I'm not familiar with pit bulls, I think theyre banned where I live. But I am familiar with many other dogs.

I don't see a problem with stereotyping different dogs. Labradors are by nature garbage disposal units that have an quenchable appetite. Jack Russells are smart arses that yap and stir up bigger dogs. Maltese crosses yep at bigger dogs because they're scared. Kelpies jump ridiculously high and nip other animals around the ankles. Cockerspaniels bring their owners dead mice and birds.

There will be exceptions to these stereotypes but on the whole these characteristics are natural instincts, theyre not trained.

Akitas are huge aggressive dogs that can overpower their owners. It's their instinct to kill. They were bred for hunting. They can be trained to be obedient but they're still natural born killers. So the question you have to ask an akita owner is why do you have an akita? Is it because it's dangerous?

I dont know much about snakes, but there are certainly dangerous, vicious, and poisonous breeds that can easily kill you. Some are more dangerous than others.

Why shouldn't we ban the dangerous breeds?
Debate-King

Con

You stated that the animals are simply not trained, therefore it's the owner's fault that the dogs/pets are behaving viciously. The pets' owners should take better care of their pets. Also, you were saying that the Akita are dangerous breeds I believe. I found an article about the Akita that directly states, "The Akita continues to be regarded as a loyal and courageous dog, and the Japanese now use the Akita as a police dog. ... In 1931, the government of Japan declared the Akita breed to be a national monument and one of Japan's national treasures." It says nothing about the Akita being dangerous whatsoever.
Since there are so many venomous snakes, a lot of people assume that most pet snakes are venomous. The only type of snakes that I have seen in pet stores, are corn snakes and ball pythons, which I stated earlier, are not venomous and have a reluctance to bite. If people do own venomous snakes, then they are most likely more experienced with snakes. I understand if you do not wish to have these animals as pets, but others may enjoy having these pets. Everyone has different tastes in things. I saw another debate and 53% of people did not want to ban snakes. I don't understand why you would want to ban something that many people enjoy having as pets.
Plato85

Pro

"The Akita continues to be regarded as a loyal and courageous dog, and the Japanese now use the Akita as a police dog."
In other words it's a guard dog. 'Courageous' is innuendo for aggressive. The police are using it because it's aggressive.

Sure it can be trained to be obedient but it is still aggressive and dangerous by nature. The question remains do want an Akita just because it is viscous, because if not they might be more happy with a ridge back.

I wouldn't ban carpet snakes, but we're arguing about vicious pets.
Debate-King

Con

Where I live, German Shepards are common police dogs, yet many people choose them to just be house pets, and I have found them to be very loyal. The reason that people pick these types of dogs as police dogs is the fact that they can pack a punch, yet stay loyal to the side that they're fighting for. The dogs won't turn on its owners, unless the owners have been doing bad things, such as drugs and other crimes because dogs can smell and sense those kinds of things. Like my dog is usually very hyper, which I find amusing, but when I'm sick, she is very calm and comforting. This shows that she can tell how I'm feeling.
And yes, I do think that some people enjoy having pets that could be dangerous but a lot of the time, I would assume that they try to train them to be better animals for a challenge.
You stated that they can be trained to be obedient, but it is still aggressive and dangerous by nature. I would like to point out that people sometimes use these dogs as guard dogs. Like I stated above, these dogs might take a little more training, but you are rewarded with great loyalty.
What I'm wondering, is why ban animals when all you have to do is not get those type of pets. Let other people make their own choices. If they want "vicious pets," then they can have them.
Plato85

Pro

Hmmm you make a good case. German Shepard's can be vicious, but most of them are pretty damn awesome.

Some of them are nuts though from early on, and those ones that are natural born bastards and can't be trained, are naturally vicious should be put down early.
Posted by TheBenC 2 weeks ago
TheBenC
My dog is literally afraid of feathers because they move when she breaths on them. My brother in law got a small dog and she is intimidated by him. There is not one ounce of aggression in her.
Posted by Debate-King 2 weeks ago
Debate-King
I completely agree with you TheBenC. Pitbulls are very sweet creatures indeed. In fact, I actually wish that I had a pitbull myself! I get so exited when I see any kind of dog out in public, including the "vicious" looking ones. I hate how society has grown to horribly stereotype these caring dogs and I want to do as much as I can to show everyone how amazing these animals are.
Posted by TheBenC 2 weeks ago
TheBenC
I own a 50lb pitbull and she is the nicest, sweetest dog there is. The stereotypes against pitbulls are totally false. The do not lock their jaws. They do not have a stronger bite than other big breed dogs. They do not snap and attack things. All dogs can be trained to behave in certain ways. All of those stupid things you hear about pitbulls are a reflection on their owners and not the dogs themselves.