Turner720
naw

Should Video Games be Considered a sport

Started: 12/3/2015 Category: Games

Turner720

Pro

Video games should be considered a sport. Now, I don't agree that all games should be considered sports for ex. Minecraft, Runescape, and any other games that don't have a real competitive aspect for them. But, game like Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, League of Legends I think should all be considered sports. Counter-Strike is practically the definition of Competitive and has had competitive aspect ever since the games release. The same goes with Call of Duty. League started out as a game for fun; YES you can still play all of these game for fun. League turned into a competitive sport when the ranking system was introduced. Even before these games, games like StarCraft(1998) were being play competitively. HECK even games like PAC-MAN were being played competitively! Games with competitive aspects should be considered sports. Especially games that host LANs and championships. And for everyone who says "All gamers that think games are a sport are all fat and Lazy and just stay home all the time." This is very invalid, if you look at counter strike and League of Legends all the pro gamers are very fit and slim. The majority of all pro gamers go to the gym every day. Myself I am pretty slim I weigh in at 115 pounds and I play video games every day. Granted I do work at Chick-Fil-A which requires a lot of moving and lifting I still eat more than an average person.
naw

Con

. If video gaming is a sport, then we must include chess, Nerf guns, and hopscotch as sports. They are games. There can be professionals and experts I suppose, in any of the examples I have mentioned. But just because there are excellent gamers does not allow us to reword a definition to include all forms of gaming into sports. This is not to condescend to video gamers, but rather to say the word sport should be reserved for active games which can be played without a screen, and a game that is not designed exclusively for juveniles. There are video games targeted towards adults, but these games are not the issue, it is the fact video games were originally designed for a child's entertainment, not adults'. Sports are adult games which kids can play too. And if you consider those other you better consider mincraft that is my fav game!!!!!
Turner720

Pro

"If video gaming is a sport, then we must include chess, Nerf guns, and hopscotch as sports." Chess is already a "sport" and that by definition (an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.) is not a sport. Nerf Wars can be considered a sport since is does require the Physical Exertion of running around. Heck even Hopscotch fits the definition of a sport! "reword a definition"; no one is asking for a reword of the definition, all we are asking is that is can be considered a sport. "game that is not designed exclusively for juveniles" Games started out to be directed towards juveniles for example; Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. These were arcade games that we used to play as KIDS because they were directed towards us. And I like Minecraft as much as the next person; but is really has no competitive side to it. Back on topic though; Some games are meant for adults this is correct but, you're forgetting that they're 40 year old people still playing the games I listed in my last argument. Game's in the beginning we're meant for kids but in the end adults can still play them. Now if I want to watch pro Counter-Strike players compete in competitions than isn't that the same thing as watching your favorite Football or Baseball team? If you actually watch these Pro players when they play you can tell it requires a very high amount of concentration. Your mental state while playing the game has to be on its very edge. Your reaction time needs to always be an all time best. In sports you guys practice, but even in the Pro leagues all players have to sit down and practice every day. Whether it be getting good with a champion (League of Legends) or getting a better reaction time. Professional Gaming requires the highest amount of Mental Force. We need to do math, learn the enemy, and even knowing geometry/trigonometry is helping. Physics come into play too. Yes, we can let it be called an eSport for now. But, it all doesn require teamwork and is very competitive and both of those fall under the definition of a sport. So, I'll ask you this question; Why is Poker and Chess a sport?
naw

Con

naw forfeited this round.
Turner720

Pro

Turner720 forfeited this round.
naw

Con

naw forfeited this round.
Turner720

Pro

Turner720 forfeited this round.
naw

Con

naw forfeited this round.
Turner720

Pro

Turner720 forfeited this round.
naw

Con

naw forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Its technical label is an Esport, which is fine.
Posted by Jillex 1 year ago
Jillex
I dislike the idea of people saying that they sport when they are playing videogames, but the idea of it being a hobby and playing competitive like a sport is good, but not to call it a sport, just a competitive hobby
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
http://www.debate.org...

Here I explain why this idea is literally awful for the professional gamers. I'm not doing it again, so just go ahead and read it.