Should Video Games be banned/limited in America?

Started: 10/12/2013 Category: Games

Should video games be banned or limited in America?

First round for acceptance.

I accept this debate.

My argument will be based off of 3 points:

1) Video games improve reaction time, problem solving skills, and creativity.
In studies, gamers have a faster reaction time than non-gamers. This can be useful in an emergency situation. For instance, if a car was making a dangerous turn, a gamer would have had the reaction time needed to get out of the way, where a non-gamer might have been hit.

In other studies, gamers have stronger and more concrete problem solving skills and creativity. This is important in any society. Because of this, gamers can get better grades overall in school and excel with new ideas that could change the world.

2) Video games help release stress
Everyone knows that stress is bad. Stress can slow the bodies processes, can cause organs to not function properly, and gives you an overall bad feeling. Playing video games, however, can release stress and cause you to feel better.

If stress brews, it can lead to many serious body problems. Video games can prevent this and overall help you when you are stressed out.

3) Video games are fun
Video games are fun. Anyone who has played a video game knows this. There is a genre for everyone, not matter if you like puzzle, action, or sports. Since video games, are fun, they can help you be in a better mood overall. If you are in a better mood, relationships are easier to maintain and can allow you to feel better overall.

Since people enjoy video games, they should not be banned. If they were, that would cause many people to be upset, some people to the point of depression.

I will argue in support of the resolution. Before continuing, I would like to establish the following observation based on the resolution:

Observation: The explicit wording of the resolution allows the Pro to argue for the ban or the limitation of video games. Henceforth, if the Pro manages to show why there should be a ban or a limitation of violent video games, the Pro will be the winner of the debate.

Contention: Video games can lead to the development of antisocial behaviors.

The violence in video games can generally lead toward the development of antisocial behaviors, most particularly the increase of aggression as a casual link has been found between video games use and aggressive behavior: “Iowa State University Distinguished Professor of Psychology Craig Anderson has made much of his life's work studying how violent video game play affects youth behavior. And he says a new study he led, analyzing 130 research reports on more than 130,000 subjects worldwide, proves conclusively that exposure to violent video games makes more aggressive, less caring kids -- regardless of their age, sex or culture. The study was published today in the March 2010 issue of the Psychological Bulletin, an American Psychological Association journal. It reports that exposure to violent video games is a causal risk factor for increased aggressive thoughts and behavior, and decreased empathy and prosocial behavior in youths. ‘We can now say with utmost confidence that regardless of research method -- that is experimental, correlational, or longitudinal -- and regardless of the cultures tested in this study [East and West], you get the same effects,’ said Anderson, who is also director of Iowa State's Center for the Study of Violence. ‘And the effects are that exposure to violent video games increases the likelihood of aggressive behavior in both short-term and long-term contexts. Such exposure also increases aggressive thinking and aggressive affect, and decreases prosocial behavior.’ The study was conducted by a team of eight researchers, including ISU psychology graduate students Edward Swing and Muniba Saleem; and Brad Bushman, a former Iowa State psychology professor who now is on the faculty at the University of Michigan. Also on the team were the top video game researchers from Japan - Akiko Shibuya from Keio University and Nobuko Ihori from Ochanomizu University - and Hannah Rothstein, a noted scholar on meta-analytic review from the City University of New York.” [1] While the aggressive behavior doesn’t always necessarily come immediately, it can come over a period of time. “A new study suggests a dose-response relationship among playing violent video games and aggressive and hostile behavior, with negative effects accumulating over time. Investigators discovered people who played a violent video game for three consecutive days showed increases in aggressive behavior and hostile expectations each day they played…’Playing video games could be compared to smoking cigarettes. A single cigarette won’t cause lung cancer, but smoking over weeks or months or years greatly increases the risk. In the same way, repeated exposure to violent video games may have a cumulative effect on aggression.’” [2]

astronautlevel forfeited this round.

My opponent hasn’t responded to any of the arguments corresponding the playing of video games (especially violent video games) to increased aggression among youth, so I’m going to extend this argument across the flow considering my opponent has no argument against it. Because there are no arguments against my case, I’m just going to proceed to debating against each contention accordingly.

[Con Case]

Contention 1: It is true that video games can accomplish everything that my opponent has said it can. What my opponent doesn’t realize is that youth can increase their problem-solving skills, creativity, and reactions through other alternative means that can be healthier for their mind and bodies. Sports are an example of a way that youth can increase their reaction time while at the same time benefitting their health through exercise. Engaging in creative writing, art, music, and other forms of expression can increase their creativity or at least find a more constructive channel for it. Puzzles or group activities can help with problem-solving skills. None of these things will vanish if video games are either banned or limited. Furthermore, my opponent states that “gamers have stronger and more concrete problem solving skills and creativity.” However, my opponent doesn’t provide any evidence that states that gamers are like this as a result of video games, so there’s no way to tell that video games can really increase the things that my opponent mentions.

Contention 2: Stress is bad. Video games do relieve stress. However, the same thing with the last contention: if video games are banned or limited, it doesn’t mean there aren’t alternative (and more constructive) ways to relieve stress. Yoga, exercise, art, and other forms are available relieve stress.

Contention 3: Before continuing, I’d like to address the depression argument. This is kind of a slippery slope, especially considering that video games are said to increase aggression, something corresponded to depression. My opponent doesn’t have any evidence for this whatsoever. Also, there are other ways for people to have fun outside of video games. Sports, spending time with friends, etc.

astronautlevel forfeited this round.
Posted by astronautlevel 3 years ago
Indeed - since I forfeited both rounds, vote pro.
Sorry about not being able to debate - I had a very busy week and weekend.
Posted by astronautlevel 3 years ago
I look forward to debating you.
Posted by TheSilentHorseman 3 years ago
I don't think that video games should be banned or limited either, but because my profile picture is Aizen Sosuke, I had no choice but to take the position of the debate where people are more miserable. (This comment will have no impact on the debate whatsoever)
Posted by astronautlevel 3 years ago
Indeed. I do not think that video games should be banned.

I knew that I would have a hard time finding people who would take 'Pro'.
Posted by toady28 3 years ago
Since you're Con, I assume you think they shouldn't be banned. If that's the case, I can't join.
Vote Placed by HeartOfGod 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Well, this is obvious. Con forfeited.