Liberals
henryzietlow

Should We Divide Schools By Gender?

Liberals

Con

I had to write an essay on my opinion about this in class, so, I was wondering if anyone wanted to debate this.
henryzietlow

Pro

Accepted. This should be interesting!
Liberals

Con

I'm glad you're excited. Here is my essay:

Should boys and girls be segregated in classrooms?

Single Gender classrooms have been a long lasting debate, but since the terribly misguided, Stupid, 2005 No Child Left Behind act, passed by the terribly misguided, Stupid, George W. Bush, it's become an especially heated debate. The supporters of single gender classrooms claim that boys and girls have different learning styles and it can improve standardized test scores and overall learning. However, in reality, it would actually make things significantly worse for students.
A popular saying is: "Angelo learns different than Angelina." this saying has been disproved by psychologists and social scientists, so doing this could very possibly impair they're education. And not to mention it would be extremely unfair to base a person's entire education off of a stereotype. the reality is, every individual person has different learning styles, so you can't say that both genders learn differently or the same.
Another reason why people support it is because it has improved test scores. And yes, most single gender schools do have better test scores than public coed schools. However, a majority of single-gender schools are private schools and require parents or students to pay tuition, so more often than not they would get more funding than a public schools would.
If you really analyze supporters arguments, you could probably use most of them to support segregating classrooms by race. Why? Well simply because they are stereotypes. you could say that boys hold girls back from their full potential because they are more intimidating than girls. you can also say that black people hold back white people's potential because black people are more intimidating also. White people have better test scores than black people, so wouldn't it be more beneficial to separate them in class?
There is no point in doing this. Just because their skin is different color doesn't mean anything. So a Person's gender doesn't mean much either. The only real difference between the two genders is certain body parts, puberty, and hormones. The only thing that significantly divides the two genders is gender stereotypes. We shouldn't force the man box and the lady flower into kid's education.
Brains are different on much more of individual scale than on a gender scale. Not all girls learn the same or even 80% the same, not all boys learn the same or 80% the same. Every person learns differently. Perhaps a very limited number of boys or girls would do better in single gender classrooms than coed. But that's just because the curriculum fits their individual learning style. But in the long run, not all of the genders learn the same or differently, so it would be unfair to force the stereotypes of genders upon student's education.
henryzietlow

Pro

Today I stand to affirm the resolution that we should divide schools by gender. I believe that gender segregation in schools is beneficial for students, as it puts them with peers who learn similarly, it helps student behavior, and it raises test scores. However, before my constructive speech, I will define "gender" as the state of being male or female.
First of all, gender segregation is a good idea in schools because male and female students indeed learn in different ways. According to Dr. Gail Gross of the Huffington Post, boys learn at different rates and in different ways than girls. For example, boys tend to pick up less social cues, and a girl's cerebral cortex is built for more verbal function (1). Furthermore, according to Dr. Adrian Blunt, "Decades of psychometric testing, observation and imaging techniques have revealed that, in general, female brains process language activities more easily, earlier and faster than males, while males more readily excel at spatial-mechanical and gross motor skill tasks. Gurian and Stevens (2004), state that these differences explain why girls outperform boys in reading and writing, and why boys tend to gravitate toward physical activities and video games. These well-published brain and education scholars state that certain skills are simply more "hardwired" in the brain. (2)" The same author also writes, " It is known that cerebral morphological differences begin in the womb, and are relatively permanent after the fetus is 26 weeks old. (2)" This further shows that the brain of a boy is significantly different in structure than the brain of a girl, and they by extension do learn in different ways. Because of this, it makes sense to separate schools by gender. This is because by separating schools by gender, students would be grouped together with those who learn in similar ways, and they would thus learn at a faster rate. A large portion of my opponent's argument relies upon the opinion that saying girls learn differently than boys is a sweeping, stereotypical generalization. However, I have shown through reliable evidence that boys learn differently than girls. Because of this data, this cannot be seen as a stereotype or generalization, as it is backed up by data. So, by showing that girls learn differently than boys, a large portion of their argument has thus been dis-proven.
When schools are separated by gender, it also has been observed that students are more comfortable. For example, Spikes in interest in classroom material, and better behavior has been reported in gender-specific schools when compared to non-separated schools (2). So, it is clear that students are more attentive in single gender schools. As these students are more attentive, they are more likely to learn more and test better. Because of this, it is likely that they gain more from their classroom experience when they are in single-gender schools. Students were also seen to laugh more and generally have more fun in observed single gender schools (2). Children having more fun in school is a clear benefit, and is another reason why single gender schools are a good idea.
Finally, single gender schools report higher test scores. According to Patrick Nolan of the University of Essex, "We find that one hour a week of single-sex education benefits females: females are 7% more likely to pass their first year courses and score 10% higher in their required second year classes than their peers attending coeducational classes (3)." This shows that test scores are generally higher in single gender schools. This indicates that students perform at a higher level in single gender schools, which is a clear benefit.
I will now refute my opponent's arguments.
First of all, my opponent fails to cite any sources in their constructive. Because of this, any data provided by them is thus unreliable and cannot be weighed in today's debate.
A large part of my opponents constructive hinges upon the viewpoint that girls and boys do not always learn in different ways. However, they have not provided any data supporting this claim, whereas I have cited reliable sources which say that the brains of boys and girls are quite different, which makes them learn "differently." Additionally, they state that this claim is a stereotypical generalization, but through data I have clearly shown that it is no such thing. Additionally, gender segregated schools cannot be compared to schools which are segregated by race, as there is reason to separate school by gender, where there is no reason to separate schools by race
Furthermore, my opponent argues that since single gender schools are often private, they often receive more resources than coeducational public schools. This is not true. A large portion of tax payments go directly to public schools, which gives them plenty of resources. So, this argument also cannot be weighed with high magnitude in this debate.
Finally, my opponent has stated that brains of boys are the same as the brains of girls. This is not true. I have given reliable data against this claim previously in this constructive.
In this constructive speech, I have shown that benefits of single gender schools outweigh any detriments, and for these reasons I urge a pro ballot in today's debate.
1-http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
2- http://dspace.library.uvic.ca...
3-http://ftp.iza.org...
Liberals

Con

You can't say that all girls learn the same and that all boys learn the same. It is on an individual scale. Schools should divide students by they're learning styles and abilitys, not gender. Also, in the real world, men and women are not segregated, and they need to learn to interact with the opposite gender properly. And bassiclly the rest of my argument is in my essay.
henryzietlow

Pro

I will use this speech to refute my opponent's contentions.
I would like to state again that my opponent has cited no evidence, so their statistics cannot be weighed. Furthermore, they have not refuted any of my statistics.
My opponent argues that "you cannot say that all boys learn the same and that all girls learn the same, it is on an individual scale." This may be partially true. However, I have shown through reliable evidence that girls generally learn in similar fashions, and all boys generally learn in similar ways. So, separating them by gender still helps the learning process, as it places students together with those that learn in similar ways. My opponent also dubbed this statement a "stereotype." However, this cannot be said, as it is supported by evidence, which gives basis and reason to the statement.
My opponent also argues that boys should be in the same classes with girls because the need to be prepared for interacting with the opposite gender in workplace situations. However, there are many extracurricular ways to interact with the opposite gender, such as on sports teams, in music groups, etc. Additionally, a larger part of preparation for the real world lies in skills such as doing assignments, and respecting teachers and role models, which will be a large part of school regardless of gender segregation.
My opponent argues that public schools receive less funds than private, gender-segregated schools. However, this is not true, as public schools are supported by all of the American taxpayers.
So, for these reasons, combined with those in my constructive, I affirm the resolution, and urge a pro ballot.
Liberals

Con

"a larger part of preparation for the real world lies in skills such as doing assignments, and respecting teachers and role models, which will be a large part of school regardless of gender segregation." So then whether boys and girls are separate shouldn't matter nearly as much as these in education.

But I geuss if extra-curricular activities and off periods are integrated than I don't have a problem with it. Problem solved. As long as if you have to work with the opposite gender on major projects and other things like the extra curricular activities.
henryzietlow

Pro

My opponent has conceded to the fact that there are still boy-girl interactions out of school which can substitute for in-school interactions. Besides that, they have not refuted any of my other arguments. Extend all arguments
Liberals

Con

Liberals forfeited this round.
henryzietlow

Pro

Extend all arguments
Posted by KonstanBen 1 year ago
KonstanBen
Con just conceded the round. Everyone can just stop debating.
Posted by Liberals 1 year ago
Liberals
According to the national geographic TV show Brain Games, Men and Women's brains are hard wired to solve things diffirentley but still actually learn mostly the same.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Both of you please keep it inside the debate. Side talk in the comments is fine, but trying to refute each other is not.
Posted by henryzietlow 1 year ago
henryzietlow
If it is incorrect, you should probably show why and how with evidence
Posted by Liberals 2 years ago
Liberals
Voters, what my opponet claims in the second argument about my sources is incorrect. My entire argument is not flawed.
Posted by Liberals 2 years ago
Liberals
Haha, good point about the flirting. But it's natural.
Posted by TheOneandOnlyRuffian 2 years ago
TheOneandOnlyRuffian
Gender segregation in public schools? Not a very good idea, kids wouldn't know how to navigate the social world (as someone else has already said).

But then again there's always that flirting problem that constantly drives me crazy...
TheOneandOnlyRuffian

Posted by JoeyH 2 years ago
JoeyH
I do not think gender should be divided among schools, then girls and boys wouldn't know how react to other gender.
Posted by JoeyH 2 years ago
JoeyH