areneotero
Dpowell

Should We Legalize Marijuana

areneotero

Con

First round is for acceptance.
Dpowell

Pro

areneotero

Con

We all recognize that smoking is a dirty habit that makes you die younger while drinking is a potentially dangerous habit that leads to hundreds of thousands of deaths per year, but we want to condone pot use on top of that? That's like saying you've got a bad back and a bad shoulder; so why not break your knee cap to top it all off. How many lives are we willing to flush down the drain because a significant number of Americans tried pot a handful of times in their lives, got away with it and now feel guilty about it? One hundred for every person in prison? 1000? 10,000? There's a reason pot was made illegal in the first place and quite frankly, the only reason alcohol and cigarettes are legal is because they're so deeply ingrained in our society that we can't get rid of them. Marijuana should remain illegal because of its addictiveness, poor results after legalization in other countries, and most importantly, the harmful effects it has on the human body.

Dr. Drew Pinsky is a practicing doctor who has dealt with addicts before and has clearly stated that "It would be malpractice to say that cannabis isn't addictive. Anybody who's experienced it, actually been addicted to it, knows how profound that addiction is.... The difficult thing about marijuana addiction is some people, even though they're addicted can do fine with it for many many years before they start to have difficultly, but eventually the high starts wearing off, people start smoking a lot more to try to get that high back and that's when they descend into difficulties. ...I've been treating cannabis addiction for 20 years. When people are addicted to cannabis, cocaine and alcohol the drug they have the most difficult time giving up is the cannabis. It is extremely addictive...for some people. I think that's where people get confused. It's not very addictive for many people. It's a small subset of people with a genetic potential for addiction. But for them it is really tough. You only need talk to them, they'll tell you how tough it is." If America legalized pot, the numbers will just get "higher", converting the nation to a whole new nation, and not in a good way.

Another reason why marijuana should stay illegal is because of the effect it will have on the country. Humans being what they are, just about any stupid idea we can come up with has already been tried somewhere else. Amsterdam is the most famous place across the world that has effectively legalized pot. It has even turned into a tourist destination for potheads. Legalizing weed has been a huge success there, right? Actually, not so much. Amsterdam has had many pot- related issues come about in the past years. The Dutch have had to restrict the plant in many places. Students were arriving to class high, and the issue of whether they should or shouldn't have to right to smoke it forced the Amsterdam mayor to ban it in all schools. Additionally, contrary to the claims that legalizing it will reduce crime, in Amsterdam, it's been found that crime is now centering around the coffeeshops where weed is sold. That doesn't exactly sound like a success story, does it?

The final, and most important, reason marijuana should stay illegal is because of the harmful effects it has on the human body. Marijuana may even be WORSE than cigarettes. At least cigarettes don't peel off IQ points. A recent Northwestern University study found that marijuana users have abnormal brain structure and poor memory and that chronic marijuana abuse may lead to brain changes resembling schizophrenia. The study also reported that the younger the person starts using marijuana, the worse the effects become. In its own report arguing against marijuana legalization, the American Medical Association said: "Heavy cannabis use in adolescence causes persistent impairments in neurocognitive performance and IQ, and use is associated with increased rates of anxiety, mood and psychotic thought disorders." And it just gets worse. Cannibus messes not only with mental health, but physical as well. Even small amounts of marijuana can result in temporary sterility and it has a terrible impact on the babies of women who smoke. The babies are at very high risk of birth defects, mental abnormalities, and leukemia. If your standard is, "Well, it's better for you than Meth or Crack," that's true, but you're deluding yourself if you think pot is anything other than absolutely horrible for your health.

Movies portray potheads as harmless, fun-loving people who spend their time giggling and munching Cheetos, but they don't show these people when they're flunking out of school, losing their jobs, frustrated because they can't concentrate or losing the love of their lives because they just don't want to be with a pot smoking loser anymore. And now the government is persuaded by this and wants to legalize it? The only group that will benefit from legalizing and taxing marijuana is the government. Legalizing marijuana is definitely not worth the risks, from health, to legal issues.

http://ic.galegroup.com...
Dpowell

Pro

Section 1:
I shall be going into the mind of a so called "stoner" in this section. So to start off I'll say that, pot isn't lethal. Marijuana is pot, and pot has never killed anyone. Plus marijuana makes all my problems go away, its fun.

From here on out I shall be discussing the medical advantages of marijuana.

Section 2, Article 1:
The legalization can help researchers find medical uses for pot, which may be later used to cure a disease that may come up in the near future. For instance... Look at Ebola, its a disease that has killed many people. Now, think about whether or not another serious disease showed up and the only thing that could cure and/or subdue it for a time is marijuana, would you rather it be legal? Or would you rather have to break the law to stay alive and healthy.

Article 2:
There are two chemicals in marijuana that can be used for medicinal purposes. Those chemicals are cannabidiol (CBD), which seems to effect the brain without making the user high, and tetrahydrocannabidiol, which has pain relieving properties. I'm sure this sounds good and effective to anyone, especially if they have long term pain problems.

Article 3:
Marijuana can be used to prevent eye diseases, like glaucoma, which increases pressure in the eyeball, which damages the optic nerve and causes loss of vision. This drug can save people from going blind, and its probably cheaper than the surgeries they offer to fix they same problem. This is great for those people who can't afford the said surgeries. The drug itself, decreases the pressure inside the eye, while a surgery can cost you your vision entirely with the smallest mistake. Would this be a risk worth taking?

Article 4:
It has been proven that marijuana can't damage your lungs. It can, in fact, increase your lung capacity. Researchers compared tobacco users and pot users, and the pot users seemed to have more lung capacity than that of their counterparts. Though this may not be good for those who have asthma, but it can be good for those whose lungs are slowly decreasing in capacity. Which we all should know is bad.

Article 5:
It can help with epileptic seizures. This theory was tested on rats in 2003, and it proved effective. It took away the seizures for about 10 hours. CBD, and THC work together to bind the brain cells which are responsible for excitability and relaxation. So, marijuana is the ultimate 'chill pill' in this case.

As my opponent can see, there are many medical uses for marijuana, and there are probably tons more. If the readers, or my opponent, would like to know more about how marijuana can help, I'd ask that they check out my source which is posted below.

http://www.businessinsider.com...
areneotero

Con

Alright, so some of the chemicals found in weed have health benefits. However, guess what these 420 chemicals culminate into. That's right, marijuana. It kills sperm cells off. It bites away at your IQ, draining the intelligence from your body. And now, you are trying to tell us that we, the American people should legalize it?! I don't want to inhale that crap. Think about it. You are lighting a tube filled with harmful chemicals in your mouth and inhaling its contents. And guess what it does? It gets you high. Yea, that feeling may be "fun" , but guess what people do when they're high? Well, I shouldn't have to answer that question for your readers.

Right now, some of you may be thinking "Well let's set designated marijuana smoking rooms so there is no second-hand smoke to harm the community and the citizens who want pot can have pot." Your tax dollars at work, America.

The only source I should need for this is "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine (Of course, I'm just being facetious). Smoking is bad. Smoking of any kind is bad. Even with health benefits, all of the harmful effects cannabis that I have mentioned more than outweigh the good. I would be alarmed to believe that after all this, the people stand firm on legalizing marijuana solely for taxation and the few health benefits it provides, with no regard whatsoever to the ulterior human health. Whether you are an addict, or a second-hand, it is very serious and should not just be legalized willy nilly. First it's pot. What's next? Oh, now America decriminalizes cocaine. Now heroin is legal. Hey guys, the gas station just started selling meth. Wanna get some? Marijuana is the gateway to all of this horror that will, ultimately, bring us to our knees (because we'll be too high to do anything!).

Thank you for doing this debate with me.
Dpowell

Pro

Dpowell forfeited this round.
Posted by areneotero 2 years ago
areneotero
That's fine. It was fun debating with you though.
Posted by Dpowell 2 years ago
Dpowell
I apologize for my absence. I had little to no internet access for a while. I regret not having the ability to finish this debate, even though I am against what I was debating.
Posted by areneotero 2 years ago
areneotero
Sure I would be interested in that Ludicrousmedal3. Would you like me to set it up or would you?
Posted by Ludicrousmedal3 2 years ago
Ludicrousmedal3
Wow. I love your debate areneotero. Packed with rich detail and factual information. I'm for legalization. But I love the lengthy detail rich argument. Would you be interested in a painkiller debate? I would love to hear what your insight is. I am for legalizing combination painkillers like lortab, Tylenol 3 ect.