Should We Stop Agricultural farms and grow our food in factories?

First round for acceptance. Then arguements starting second round . Goodluck.(:

hi, I wanted to be against the factories, but, I guess if factories use a diffrent method of growing our food...I could support them, so, challenge accepted!

Thank you for accepting.
I will post my argument, and then look forward to pro's argument.

First off i would like to clarify some terms in my argument.
Farm: A tract of land, usually with a house, a barn, and a silo, on which crops and animals live to livelihood.
Crop: The cultivated produce of the ground, while growing or gathered.
Cattle: Bovine animals, especially domesticated members of the genus Bos. (

I would like to negate the stopping of agricultural farms, and growing our food in factories. 2.2 million farms dot America's landscape, and most of them are run by families. More than 21 million American workers produce, and sell the nations food and fiber. ( If we were to extinguish all of these families farms, we would be taking away their life, they live on a farm, where they grow natural food, food that every American eats. You would be taking away their income, which will cause major damage, especially because the agricultural industry is so large. Most of America's food whether it be vegetables, protein, or meat is grown on farms, that again, people work hard and make a living off of. These people would loose there jobs, and essentially their lives. In the factories, we wouldn't need the people to fill the jobs, so unemployment will rise.

99.8 Percent of factory equipment breaks down each year. This could lead to many health related problems, as the equipment could break down and do something to the food that could cause health risks for Americans. While farmers don't mix their food with any other foods, which will then create a safer way to grow our food. Factories will have to buy high tech equipment to keep the food good, to even have the things to grow it with artificial growing mechanisms. These factories will have to get the money from the government, which will put us into even more debt then we already are.

Overall, farm workers need these farms just as much as we do! We need organic, or naturally grown food, cattle, etc. To maintain safe food. Factories will only artificially grow our food, and could harm us in the process. For our health reasons, and economic reasons, i urge a negative vote .
Thank you, and goodluck to my opponent.

Did you know that recently the average farm size incresed to 421 acres, we can build a lot more on 421 acres of land. Plus, if the food industry is growing, why is thw amount of farms reducing? It had dropped by 10,000 farms in 2011. The amount of land in use for cultivation and livestock production declined to 914 million acres (if all of the U.S. farms were one farm) While the total no. of cattle operations slumped to 915000, beef-cow producers are falling to 729000, and finally the cattle heard, including dairy animals, were a total of 89.3 million, the fewest it has ever been since 1952. So if frams were so important to the farmers, why are more and more of them leaving thier land and cattle behind? Its simply because the competion is too high. As more and more people buy the cheaper foods grown in factories, the farms, selling more costly produce, are running low on demand.

As a plus, the farmers can be trained to handle the machines that keep breaking down. They can be taught on how to fix, maintain, and operate these machines so that they have less of a chance of breaking down. At least like this they can have a more steady income then they used to have when owning a farm.

I will be arguing pros case, then defending mine. Thank you Pro, for giving a thoughtful argument.

So, first I would like to say that my opponent, while giving very many, well educated quantitative considerations on farming, and how it has decreased, is not defending the matter we are debating against. He doesn't have any sources, so how can we be sure this evidence is true? So I would like to slide that across this debate. Yes, farmers have been selling their cattle, and acres for many reasons. Factory food is processed, and most of the time unhealthy, and farmers produce isn't always the priciest.
As more consumers consider the environmental, health and social consequences of industrial food production, demand for sustainably raised foods is growing. According to the USDA, farmers are dedicating more and more land to organic production in response to consumer demand, with total organic acreage increasing at a rate of 15 percent annually.

Farmers' markets, food cooperatives, and community supported agriculture (CSA) programs continue to grow in popularity, making local, sustainably produced food more available. These programs offer consumers the opportunity to put their dollars directly into farmers' pockets, cutting out cooperate middlemen and strengthening a regional food system.(
This mean that organic farm grown foods are more in demand then factory food.
So why put these farmers who work hard at what they do, out of a job? We Shouldn't.

" As a plus, the farmers can be trained to handle the machines that keep breaking down. They can be taught on how to fix, maintain, and operate these machines so that they have less of a chance of breaking down. At least like this they can have a more steady income then they used to have when owning a farm."

Yes, we could train farm workers to fix things that shouldn't be implemented in the first place, with government funding, which will again hurt the economy more. And by the time they finish building them, farmers wont have to operate them , they will be done by robot, which will break down and again, harm us by messing with our food then lawsuits will come up, and that is why we should just stick to farms and keep the farm owners employed.

Ah, I see, so I should have mentioned a source...Well I got my previous argument from the news (I have the bad memory)
Also, I am not a "he" or a "Pro" (as awesome as that sounds), I am a DATA plan. You don't have to but if you can, just address me as you or DATA or the full username, it doesn't matter, jus brought it up in case you didn't know what I prefer.

-By the way, I myself personally are against the factories, so my apologies if my arguments tend to stray.

-What I was trying to say in round 1, was that farms are taking up too much land, farmers are realizing that farming isn't a very stable job, if no one buys their produce then they're goners, since farmers are realizing this, they sell their plots, and go into more stable jobs, as an addition the food factories can also offer the farmers jobs if they find them selves jobless.

-I have yet to witness the lower prices of farm raised food (so does the author of the source of information) "Health experts and consumers have long debated whether organic foods are more nutritious"and safer"than conventional foods. 'This is a controversy that"s been going on for a long time,' says Dr. Michelle Hauser, a certified chef, nutrition educator, and clinical fellow in medicine at Harvard Medical School. A study released this week in the Annals of Internal Medicine tried to get to the core of this food-fueled debate, but it ultimately may do little to end the controversy. While the study finds that nutritionally speaking they have little extra to offer." (from

And also, why don't the farmers just get hired by factories to maintain and supervise the robots that break down?

First off, I am sorry but, I will refer to you as pro. I do not refer to you as any different. My apologies.
And on to my rebuttal . As I said in my previous arguments, factories will use robot machines to manufacture fake food. So factories will not produce more jobs, it will only destroy them. Pro has no evidence for this, so I would like to disregard his argument there. And Pros second argument is about the health benefits, we are not talking about when they are grown, we are talking about how the factories will malfunction, and then produce bad food. So pros argument is invalid there also.

Pro has not made any arguments towards my case so I would like to assume that pro believes them to be true.

I will now be reaffirming my case, As I said I negate the stopping of agricultural farms and the growing of foods in factories for the sole reason of the people. Farmers need their jobs, and depend on their farm to help them live. Taking away their farm will in turn take away their life, because they will have no money to pay for it. This will also hurt people health wise, which will cost the government money in lawsuits. Because the factories machines could break down, and cause malfunctions in the growing or producing of the food. 99.8 percent of all production machines will break down, which will gain, hurt the people. Money going into the building of these machines will put us in more debt then we already are, which will hurt us again, because then our future generations will be economically broken.
This is why I negate this debate.

Good luck to my opponent, and thank you for your time pro.

Said: Chances of getting a job as a food and beverage factory worker are good due to lots of seasonal vacancies, and the large size of the occupation. How many people work in this food factories field?Year 2012 had 7,838 people working already, and they still need more. Therefore this proves all the job opportunities. Heres more evidence, in case you're still baffled or question my arguments. Even though the decrease in worker numbers was mainly due to increasing automation and the effects of the 2008-2009 recession, vacancies still come up regularly because:
-food processing is a large area of employment in New Zealand, with about 10,000 people working in this area (not including those working in meat, dairy and seafood processing)
-seasonal peaks in work mean employers hold large-scale recruitment drives for factory workers. For example, berry-processing factories hire workers in October, ready for the peak in December-January.
Here is a list of work available in a range of factories
Food and beverage factory workers are employed by a range of businesses, including:
-small privately owned firms
-small or mid-sized speciality firms
-large processing plants that pack, market and export food products.
Says: (Disadvantages of farming) Though you are your own boss, you are still working for the toughest boss you have ever had. You will get to work earlier, put in more hours and work later than any other boss would dare ask of you.
Even if you get to work outside in the fresh air, not cooped up in an office or factory, you will still need to work outside in the snow, ice, and freezing weather, also in the heat of 100 degree days. Often you will be covered in trash and dust from harvesting crops or baling hay.
Reads: There are disadvantages to buying locally grown food. One is that the food products can be more expensive than the regular brands found in supermarkets. Another disadvantage is that you will only be able to purchase foods in season. If, for example, you wanted to buy locally grown blueberries, you might not find any if they are not in season. Buying locally grown foods can be very limiting.
Had a list that listed: Cons of arable farming:
-Expensive price of inputs
-Very low profit
-once, locusts season is back 10 years of work will be all gone
-very stressful work for such little profit and a 70% chance of having a bad weather
-usually farms are very far away from the city, so it is hard to travel from places to places

And it doesn't even just stop on veggies and fruits, its for the dairy farmers as well:
It was saying:Disadvantages of dairy farming: Long hours, high amount of money involved in growing and maintaining the farm, many things can go wrong at a time, meeting quota standards. Cattle can become ill or disease spread, herd requires more feed and nutrients than that of a beef herd.

So yes, I did have some evidence. Also, (about the pro thing) yeah, it's ok, It didn't matter anyways (like I said in round three).
In conclusion, just to end off on a good note here, I'd like to say that this was my first serious debate (and my opponent was a really good one to. She was down right serious. I feel that Con, Northdebate, was an excellent opponent)
So, yeah, thanks for having me as a Pro...

Posted by NorthDebater 3 years ago
well, you should have stated that in the actual debate. Goodluck.
Posted by The-DATA-plan 3 years ago
Ah, sorry, I had forgotten about that, plus, it wasn't supposed to be an argument anyway.
Posted by NorthDebater 3 years ago
Farmers harvest and send the harvest to stores, they would not spoil, so do not post arguments in the comments please.
Posted by The-DATA-plan 3 years ago
Because if you think about it, if the farmers never made a sale for a few days after harvesting, then all that food would spoil, giving the consumers all the more reason not to buy. This will eventually put farmers in debt.
Posted by The-DATA-plan 3 years ago