Joss_Whedon
Prof.Asteroid

Should We Teach Creationism As An Alternative to Evolution?

Joss_Whedon

Con

I am a Lutheran. However, I do not beleive that God created everything mature, nor that it happened in 6 days. The evidence simply doesn't add up. Also, the Universe is 10-20 billion years old. I place all my trust in science, and will cease my faith in God or science if such can be proven.
Prof.Asteroid

Pro

I have to disagree with you. Tell me, if God didn't create everything, than who did?
Joss_Whedon

Con

I would like to point out that I never said God didn't create everything. I merely said I don't believe he created everything mature. I have had this discussion recently at my church, and we mentioned that there is no reason you cannot believe in evolution and Christianity at the same time. I instead believe that evolution was slightly guided by God (without a meteor hitting the dinosaurs, where would we be?) but still happened pretty much naturally. This is mainly because there is way too much evidence supporting evolution, for instance the Deinococcus radiodurans that was discovered after a tin of spoiled meat was exposed to a nuclear reactor. This bacteria was not present in the tin before it was exposed, and it is theorised that it was created by the rapidly multiplying cells in the tin of meat. It can currently survive 1,000x the radiation of a human being, and on the genetic level is more advanced than us. Also the overwhelming evidence found by Darwin in the Galapagos, where there are many similar species of birds with traits that help them survive better on their home island than some of their cousins. I await your rebuttal.
Prof.Asteroid

Pro

I actually believe in that myselft, but what i'm saying is that God didn't mearly guide elements & events to form life, he created these elements and events for that exact purpose. It says God created the earth in seven days right, my theory is that he created the events leading to our planet and the elements forming life which took him seven days to do and put them in motion on the seventh day.
Joss_Whedon

Con

I disagree with your statement for this reason. How can "and he rested on the seventh day," have any other interpretation than God resting, not creating everything? And secondly, how is this pertinent to the debate at hand?
Prof.Asteroid

Pro

Number 1
I would like to point out that the debate is over "Should We Teach Creationism As An ALTERNATIVE to Evolution?" and not if only one of these is true.

Number 2
My arguement above is stateing my theory of how evolution is actually detirmined by creationism which has everything to do with this arguement.

Number 3
Your theory of how God guided things to create us just proves my point more. You're basicly saying that there the same thing which i'm sure would count as an ALTERNATIVE.

Number 4
I apologise for my mistake with "and he rested on the seventh day," theory. Actually he put them in motion on the 6th day.

Number 5
Why wouldn't we teach it as an alternative, if their both basicly the same thing like you stated between the arguement?
Posted by Joss_Whedon 1 year ago
Joss_Whedon
The only reason my second arguement deviated from the first was as a response to Prof.Asteroid's argument.
Posted by Blazzered 1 year ago
Blazzered
If God didn't create everything, who did?
Well there is a thing called the Big Bang.....

Creationism is not a fact. Therefore it shouldn't be taught in schools.
Evolution is a fact. It is observed everyday by evolutionary scientists and we have fossil evidence to back it up.
Now before anyone argues about the theory of evolution, that deals with the mechanisms of evolution which would be such as natural selection and so on. Do not get the word theory mixed between the everyday definition meaning an idea, with the scientific definition meaning an explanation heavily backed up through observation, testing, and experiments.

Also creationism could go with several religions. You teach one religion you must teach them all. Otherwise controversy would start. Keep religion out of school.
Posted by Joss_Whedon 1 year ago
Joss_Whedon
I see.
Posted by atheistdebater 1 year ago
atheistdebater
I agree with your sentiment exactly. If you were on the other side I would've accepted in a heartbeat
Posted by Joss_Whedon 1 year ago
Joss_Whedon
How do you mean?
Posted by atheistdebater 1 year ago
atheistdebater
Dang it! If only you were pro...
Vote Placed by bsh1 1 year ago
bsh1
Joss_WhedonProf.AsteroidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Without anyone providing a definition of creationism, I am not sure whether Con is referring to YEC (Young Earth Creationism), or merely the idea that God created those elements from which everything else arose over billions of years. Who wins the args hings on this definition. So, without any definition, I cannot evaluate the round.