jasmineh
Defro

Should Women Sport Be On TV As Much As Men?

Defro
Started: 3/12/2014 Category: Sports

jasmineh

Pro

Yes, they should. Boys grow up watching TV; they are bombarded by heroic and confident images of male athletes playing sports and being revered for their accomplishments. They grow up wanting to play sport and are encouraged to do so by everyone around them. Girls do not receive these messages and are often encouraged to play an instrument or read instead... how is this fair?
Defro

Con

I accept this challenge. Thank you for instigating it.
I shall begin with a brief rebuttal before going into my points.
______________________________________________________________________________

Rebuttal:

"Boys grow up watching TV"

-And so do girls. In fact, I am almost certain that the amount of television both genders watch are roughly equivilant. In fact when it comes to the Olympics (which is a sports event), women plan to watch more than men. The graph below shows that currently 10% more women plan to watch the Olympics than men.

Trend: How much of the Olympics do you intend to watch? By gender
http://www.gallup.com...

"They are bombarded by heroic and confident images of male athletes playing sports and being revered for their accomplishments."

-On the contrary, there are also many women athletes who have been aired on the media with impressive accomplishments. I Googled a list of impressive female athletes and I already knew of the first two athetes I came across out of the 50 that the website mentioned. For example, 49th on the list is Kim Yu-Na, the Olympic Gold Medalist in women's figure skating. I remember I watched her on television a few times (I will provide a picture of her below).

48 kim yu na - most googled female athletes 2012
http://www.totalprosports.com...

"They grow up wanting to play sport and are encouraged to do so by everyone around them."

-Explain to me why just because they see men playing sports on TV, they are discouraged from playing sports themselves? Just because most of the athletes they see on television are men, doesn't mean girls are discouraged from doing sports! Why, I for one think it encourages them! Why, just the other day I saw a 13 year old girl playing basketball and she said "I saw Kobe Bryant (who's a male by the way) doing this once" before executing a beautiful lay-up!

-Both girls and boys in High School are roughly equally encouraged to join in sports. Nowadays, according to both of the links below, one of the top ten things Universities look for in their applicants are whether or not they were in a sport's team in High School, and every High School in the United states encourages all their students to participate in sports unless their grades are behind (this mainly occurs to bos). This encourages not only boys, but also girls to join their school's sports teams. This shows that girls are also encouraged to play sports.

http://www.mychildsfuture.org...
http://www.howtolearn.com...

"Girls do not receive these messages and are often encouraged to play an instrument or read instead."

-As established above, birls do recieve these messages.
-Furthermore, boys are equally encouraged to play an instrument and read! Who ever heard of a school that encourages the girls to read more than the boys? This applies to both genders!

Okay, that's my rebuttal for now. I'll proceed to my point.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Addendum:

The purpose of sports aired on television is to entertain viewers. And the better the athletes of a particular sport, the more entertaining it is to watch. In most sports aired on television, men athletes are better than women athletes. Therefore, it is more entertaining to watch men play certain sports than it is to watch women. This is precisely why most of the American Football we see on television is composed of male athletes.

However, there are some sports that women are better or just as good as men in. These sports are aired on television with an even distribution of male and female athletes. For example, I'll bet most of the time you see volleyball on TV, the players are women. At the same time, when it comes to sports like badminton, figure skating, and tennis, you see an equal amount of women and men.

Conclusion:

1. Just because the athletes they see on TV are male does not discourage females from doing sports.

2. Females are equally encourage to do sports because of school.

3. Women sports are on TV a lot too.

4. If certain sports aired on TV shows women more than men, it would be less entertaining and would cost the broadcasters a lot of money and leave many viewers unsatisfied.

That concludes my argument for now.
Over to Pro.
:)

jasmineh

Pro

jasmineh forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

I extend my arguments.
jasmineh

Pro

jasmineh forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

I will allow one more extension.
jasmineh

Pro

jasmineh forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

Pro has forfeited the entire debate. Clearly this should hint voters to vote Con.
jasmineh

Pro

jasmineh forfeited this round.
Posted by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
@Jabuticaba

I don't have to explain why girls should be in sports less than men.
The debate is about whether or not female athletes should be on TV more.
And I explained that it they shouldn't because it is less entertaining for viewers and that the purpose of TV is to entertain.
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
Jabuticaba
*girls sports she be on less than men
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
Jabuticaba
Con made no argument whatsoever on why girls should be in sports less than men.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
jasminehDefroTied
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
jasminehDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited points con.