Forestoftherain
Blade-of-Truth

Should Yoga Be Taught In Public Schools?

Blade-of-Truth

Forestoftherain

Pro

Should Yoga Be Taught In Public Schools? The discussion of Yoga and public schools entered the legal realm this year when a group of parents in California filed suit suggesting that teaching Yoga infringed on their children"s religious freedom since it is based in Hindu religious practices. However, San Diego Superior Court Judge John Meyer ruled that a 30-minute yoga classes that emphasize respect, proper breathing and posture are not teaching religion.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I accept the challenge, and will now return the floor to Pro so he may begin with his arguments.

I look forward to a fun and thought-provoking debate.

Forestoftherain

Pro

Forestoftherain forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has forfeited round 2.

I will allow one more opportunity for Pro to present opening arguments as it is his burden to provide proof for his position on the resolution at hand.

I now return the floor to pro. If he should happen to forfeit the final round, I will present my own arguments regardless to show why my position is superior.

I thank the audience for their patience.
Forestoftherain

Pro

Forestoftherain forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has forfeited the final round.

Rebuttals

I.San Diego court does not justify the rest of the nation.

My opponent has only presented one argument to affirm his position, that San Diego superior court allowed it.

Yet, my opponent is attempting to affirm the resolution that Yoga should be taught in public schools. The issue is that he failed to justify the practice of yoga in public schools outside of San Diego. This argument might stand if the resolution was, "Yoga should be taught in public schools of the San Diego area" sure, but attempting to affirm a resolution that involves all public schools requires greater proofs than just one localized example.

Not only that, but by not producing any link, he is placing the burden on the audience to check the validity of his claim. Without proof of such a case presented by Pro, for all I know this is simply a made-up court case.

Such arguments require a greater amount of proof and in this case, Pro failed to present that.

Arguments

I. Lack of a nation-wide ruling allowing such practice.

As pointed out in my rebuttal, there is no nation-wide ruling which would allow such practice. Pro himself acknowledges the Hindu basis of Yoga and that it took a court case for such things to be allowed in the San Diego area (if such a court case even exists). This is pretty indicative of the process that would have to occur around the nation. Without such rulings on a nation-wide scale, there is no way that such a practice would ever be allowed to occur in all public schools.

We must also rule in that this would bring a great burden upon any school district that is taken to court over such a thing. The lawyer fees, court fees and legal documentation fees would most certainly place an unfair financial burden on both the parents and school districts.

II. Where would the money come from?

Touching lightly on the first argument presented, with this additional financial burden placed on both the parents and school districts, where would the money come from? My opponent would need to present a method for allocating such funds to these efforts, otherwise, we potentially run the risk of taking away precious school funds that could have been used for more beneficial purposes. At this point, there is no reason for us to believe that school districts even have the money to pursue such cases in the first place.

III. Long-term effect on separation of church and state.

My opponent failed to recognize the greater implications here. If we started allowing a practice that is rooted in religion to be in our schools, how much longer will it take for other religions to eventually get jealous and lobby for their own representation? This creates a dangerous path that I doubt many are willing to face at this time.

In conclusion,

My opponents only argument has been defeated, and he has additionally forfeited every round.

Please Vote Con.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Sorry, I had already posted the round as acceptance since you didn't reply immediately. Shouldn't be a big deal though, you still need to present opening arguments for me to provide rebuttals.
Posted by Forestoftherain 2 years ago
Forestoftherain
Start as soon as possible.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Would you like me to start arguing immediately or just use the first round for acceptance so you can present your arguments first?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
ForestoftherainBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
ForestoftherainBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff