TheOneAndOnly_Syd
Amphia

Should Young Females be Married at a Young Age?

TheOneAndOnly_Syd has forfeited round #2.

TheOneAndOnly_Syd

Con

I am against this because of the lack of communication towards the parents and the daughter. So what if they need money? The girl might get raped and be seen as a slut and hoe at such a young age. And also give birth so young, to the point where they cut school and have to watch their children. They'd lack education for a long period of the time. Most of the time, the girls get married to old men at the ages of their own GRANDPAS. I hope that in the future, women are seen strong and not gullible. I want men to see that women are as strong as they are, as brave as they look, and as smart as they seem. This sexual abuse towards women is very sad, as I have been a victim myself. We, the people, have the rights to change this, WE CAN MAKE a difference.

So, to sum it all up:
1.) They'd be bullied
2.) Limited Education
3.) Sexual Abuse

Every minute, 28 girls get married before they're ready for it.

Should this kind of marriage be illegal?
Amphia

Pro

I just want to debate you, I don't necessarily agree with these arguments aha.

1. In this argument you are talking about little girls being married to old dudes so their parents can get money. These sorts of marriage generally happen in incredibly rural areas where the populations are low so cultural beliefs and views are incredibly strong and entrenched throughout society. in such places, these sorts of marriages happen often, for example in rural villages in India where being married young is the norm. Such girls would not be bullied as they are simply following customs just like other girls in their area. Also you talk about how the parents needing money does not matter. I would like to point out first that in such rural areas, money is scarce and people are desperate. They have ten children and all of them are hungry. Their oldest girl is eligible for marriage and she understands that her family needs money for the younger children. Which is better? One girl being married young or eleven dying children?

2/3. You seem to be very focused on young girls marrying older (much older) men. However their are many cases where young people marry young people. A majority marriages in which the bride is young, the groom is also the same age or a year or two older. Imagine two teens who are in love and the girl is going off to the army. They want to be married before she leaves because she might never come back. They want to tie the knot and be bound forever in case she dies. Would you deny them the chance to be together officially and legally? Or back to the scenario I said before, a family that wants their son to be married and another family that needs money to support themselves. They are the same age, such marriages are not only between a 5 year old and a 50 year as you seem to be making it out to be. Or let's say they are just in love and neither is going off to war. There are myriad of benefits to this.

1. Regarding your pregnancy argument, it is important to note that for women, an early marriage is safer in terms of pregnancy. According to health care practitioners, 25 is the ideal age for pregnancy in women. Late marriage sets the biological clock ticking and leaves more scope for ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages.
2. To address the education argument, early marriage gives more time for couples to pursue their career comfortably and plan a child soon after. Late marriages often come with this conflict whether their spouses should give more importance to their already established career or plan a family.
3. Also, falling in love early in life and deciding to marry is the biggest advantage in early marriages because you get to choose your partner freely and decide whom to spend the rest of your life with at your own pace.
http://www.onlymyhealth.com...

And lastly you say "I hope that in the future, women are seen strong and not gullible. I want men to see that women are as strong as they are, as brave as they look, and as smart as they seem." Being married young does not mean you are not respected. There are many marriages where the bride and groom fall in love as they get to know each other. They respect each other and maybe the start is a little rocky but they can work through this.
You mention sexual abuse but this can happen in any type of marriage regardless of age.

I would also like to say that I am sorry you were a victim of sexual abuse and I hope whoever did it to you is paying the price.
Posted by Arganger 5 months ago
Arganger
My question is, what age do you see as "Too young"? If you are generally talking about minors I may take this.
Posted by Momoshimo 5 months ago
Momoshimo
In what culture?