primeministerJoshua812
Bill_Henly

Should Youth have the right to vote

Bill_Henly has forfeited round #2.

primeministerJoshua812

Pro

I believe that Youth Should have the right to vote and here is why. #1 People of all ages are required to pay income and sales taxes; therefore, denying them the right to vote is taxation without representation. #2 Children are legally permitted to have sex or drive a car in some countries, which are more dangerous and difficult than voting. #3 Voter turnout among youth will improve if young people get in the habit of voting before they reach 18 and go to colleges far away from their state of residency, like it did in Germany when some states lowered their voting age for municipal elections. #4 Education for and about democracy would be better served if there were no voting age. #5 Government entitlements suppress fertility, which means the youth demographic is systematically suppressed, with no political power to offset the effect. #6 Governments derive their just authority from the consent of the governed. To be legitimate, those who govern and those who legislate must be elected by the people, not a special subset of the people, such as those over the age of X years. #7 Those who oppose Youth Suffrage say that youth do not to have sufficient understanding of the realities of life to participate in voting. In response to this, most youth suffrage advocates point out these are the identical arguments used against women's suffrage, as well as the abolition of property requirements, in the past. Likewise, mental capacity or knowledge is often not a bar to the elective franchise.
Bill_Henly

Con

I disagree. If a 12-year-old voted his parents would influence him to vote and would compromise his vote. Our kids don't pay taxes and do not deserve to be represented yet until they do. Kids are not smart enough would you trust an 8 year old to drive your car?
primeministerJoshua812

Pro

You make a good point and that is where we then must talk about the Legal voting age. You see Kids are going to be more informed about issues during election periods as they talk about it in Social Studies. Also I don't believe 12 year olds should vote but instead 16 year olds, as I said in my introduction: Those who oppose Youth Suffrage say that youth do not to have sufficient understanding of the realities of life to participate in voting. In response to this, most youth suffrage advocates point out these are the identical arguments used against women's suffrage, as well as the abolition of property requirements, in the past. Likewise, mental capacity or knowledge is often not a bar to the elective franchise. Also some working youth pay taxes in certain countries and thus no suffrage is taxation without representation as I also said in my Introduction. I would not trust a Kid to vote and drive a car, However some Kids can drive and have sex. In Canada where I live the legal sex age is 12 and the legal driving age is 14 so good sir tell me why we can have Kids to dangerous things like sex and driving but not do easy safe things like voting?
Posted by Arganger 10 months ago
Arganger
@Castade The problem is someones maturity has little to do with age, and it sticks people who could very well vote informed and would have, at others whims. I have been very interested in politics from 1st grade up, and would of voted well from then with no problem.

Many adults do not make informed votes at all, often doing one of the following: Voting for their parties candidate, voting for who they have heard of, voting for who their friends voted for, or just voting for the laugh. That has very little to do with age at all.

Not to mention it leaves about 73 million people with no say in any law no matter how it affects them.
Posted by Castade 10 months ago
Castade
I think the age of 18 is ok, actually it may need to be increased a little, due to the immaturity levels of todays kids vs. how it was 20 years ago, we don't have our children driving until they are old enough for a reason, and for someone to have the right to vote should have sufficient enough experience and knowledge for their influence of choice, in other words, once kids learn of how our system works (graduating school so yea 17- 18 years old) then one can give their opinion and vote.
Posted by Castade 10 months ago
Castade
Posted by Castade 10 months ago
Castade
Posted by Arganger 10 months ago
Arganger
I think the highest it makes sense to restrict voting is to fourteen, but better yet no age. Why should someone be required to follow law at all if they get no voice?