BrainyPitbull
bellathedemocrat

Should Zero Tolerance policies stay in schools?

BrainyPitbull

Pro

Round 1 Talk about subject
Round 2 Crossfire
Round 3 Answer crossfire questions
Round 4 Summary
Tolerance policy is a school or school district policy that mandates predetermine consequences or punishment for offenses that are intended to be applied regardless of the seriousness of the behavior, circumstances ,or situational context. I support the zero-tolerance policy to begin with zero tolerance policy's prepare students for the "Real World", where there is no second chances in the workplace. Since the Zero Tolerance policy gives unbiased verdicts, children are given the same punishment new matter their background. If the child is a straight A student or a C and B student, she/he is given the same punishment policies like this stand for the belief that the particular rule that was broken doesn't matter. The fact that it was broken should result in a punishment another positive point about the Zero Tolerance policy is that it protects schools from punishments, something not many policies provide. Contrary to what most people believe , there is enough flexibility for administrators to decide if a student stays in school or is suspended. While you may hear cases of children suspended for acts that may be viewed as acts that don't deserve punishment, this doesn't occur often enough to arouse suspension or concern. The American Bar Association Journal reported that since 1990, crime of all types in public schools are down by as much as 30%. It is very likely the Zero Tolerance policy is the reason why. Studies show that when children know they risk serious punishments for bringing a weapon into school or bullying a peer, they are far more likely to remain on the straight and narrow. Students who respect the rules are likely to think if their actions seem questionable. Without a policy like the Zero Tolerance policy, students could bring a weapon to school without any punishments.
bellathedemocrat

Con

As usual there are good and bad sides to any topic. The main part of my argument will be about the fact that 39% of zero tolerance policies are not about protecting students.

They are designed to keep them from real world things. Also, they almost always end up with violators receiving tolerance and not fully being acted on or just not being properly investigated in certain cases. Now most high schools have metal detectors or at least a bag search. There are no searches in elementary schools or middle schools and its been proved that in at least 46% of school shootings could have been avoided if there had been a bag search or metal detector. Now I know that those are only about weapons policies.

I'm about to get to my main point. Zero tolerance on food items and certain books have increased 3.012%. There have been students suspended for taking certain books to school or even humming a song that has a few cusses. There was a middle schooler expelled for selling soda and energy drinks at school. As opposed to high-schoolers who are only suspended when caught selling pot and prescription pain killers on school grounds.

There are good and bad sides to the topic of zero tolerance policies There are of course times when they do work and save lives. When those times are less than 15% we all have a problem.
BrainyPitbull

Pro

How are you sure your sources are reliable? What do you mean when you said "They are designed to keep them from real world things"? It is true that there are typically no searches in elementary schools and in middle schools ,but don't you think the administrators would be questioned for taking such extreme measures? Also the man power is a lot and that means you would have to search KINDERGARTENERS who don't understand. Also do you have any statistics to show that cases ,like your example with the boy who sold drinks at school, happen often enough to arouse suspicion or concern? Since I'm on the topic of your example with the boy, don't you think he should be expelled for selling drinks? Many parents would freak out because of this and wouldn't approve of their child buying things at school. Also many schools have a rule against students selling things at school, like my school for example. Do you have any percentages on how many times the Zero Tolerance policy protects students from harm and not how many times it saves lives?
bellathedemocrat

Con

you have placed some very good points about my agruement but I would like to state that I did not mean to include kindergarten's in my statement the elementary school I went to started at 3rd grade and went on to 6th I happened to know these statements are reliable due to the fact that they happened in my presence and I do happen to have the percentages the ratio of the times it has brought harm to students and helped students is 9/1 so for every 1 student it helps IT BRINGS HARM TO 9
you are correct many schools do have that rule but in a small way your comparing selling drugs to selling soda and I would like to point out they were non-caffeinated non-alcoholic and sugar free
they should of course not be aloud to do this without suspishon but there should at least be metal detectors or a x-ray machine
BrainyPitbull

Pro

BrainyPitbull forfeited this round.
bellathedemocrat

Con

bellathedemocrat forfeited this round.
BrainyPitbull

Pro

Since my opponent clearly didn't read the rules and ask me questions or answer my questions, I will sum up what I said in round 1 . The zero tolerance policy is unbiased which is a added bonus not many policies provide. This means if two children get in a fight both are fairly punished no matter their background or previous disagreements.Also the zero tolerance policy has enough flexibility for administrators to decide whether stay in school or not. Administrators decide,its not always the policy that decides.Lastly this policy can aid schools from threats. It protects schools from lawsuits and from threats that could put the staff and students in harms way. Not only is this policy helpful , but unique because its positive sides outweigh its negative sides greatly. Please vote for me, the pro side.
bellathedemocrat

Con

bellathedemocrat forfeited this round.
Posted by bellathedemocrat 1 year ago
bellathedemocrat
dude you posted the same thing twice
Posted by BrainyPitbull 1 year ago
BrainyPitbull
Whoops!
Posted by BrainyPitbull 1 year ago
BrainyPitbull
I am really excited for my first debate on this website,but don't hold back I'm a strong fighter!
Posted by BrainyPitbull 1 year ago
BrainyPitbull