biancabear767
H.guzasan

Should a Driver be tested every ten years after recieving a driver's liscense?

biancabear767

Pro

I believe that drivers should be tested every ten years after receiving their license. Accidents are so common nowadays, and we need to do everything we can to protect people on the road. Yes, this will cost some money, but it will be saving money that would be used on ambulances and police that have to travel to an accident. With these tests, we can finally protect ourselves from drivers that should NOT be on the roads.
H.guzasan

Con

Agreements:

- I agree that it will cost money for people to be re-tested after 10 years. The ministry of transportation in many countries charge for getting a driving license.

- I would agree to a notion that the elderly should be tested every 5 years(not 10) after they hit the age of 60. (So, testing at 60, 65, 70) I only present this idea because the older a person gets the higher the chances of health complications.

To begin I’d like to start addressing my opponents’ Round 1 argument, then I will begin to explain why it is an unnecessary procedure to re-evaluate a persons driving skills, ten years after passing the license test.
There is no direct logical link between the premises and conclusions made in my opponents argument therefore, I will address the argument made by assuming that the premise is: “accidents are common nowadays” and the conclusion being “therefore, drivers should be tested again after 10 years of initially acquiring their license.”
Car accidents happen in only a matter of seconds, some are major and most are of lesser seriousness and can totally be avoided. Some of the most common types of accidents that happen are:

Driver fatigue: people get behind the wheel when they are tired greatly impacting their ability to driver and react to a situation.
Drinking and driving: another common sort of accident that usually ends up fatal
Distracted driving: which is probably the most common. This can include: consuming food/drinks, loud music, texting, looking at billboards, basically anything that distracts the persons ability to focus on the road.

Argument 1:

My opponent makes the argument that if drivers are re-tested after 10 years that “we can protect ourselves from drivers that shout NOT be on the roads” But, this is not necessarily the case because testing a persons driving abilities every ten years is an ineffective method in reducing accidents and making safe roads. I will explain why in my next paragraph.

When a person is aware of being a part of a test the person’s behavior changes. This is a common trait in the study of social research and is called the “Hawthorne Effect”. Briefly, the Hawthorne effect was first discovered and named by researchers at Harvard University, who defined this effect as “the tendency of some people to work harder or perform better when they are participants in an experiment.”
When a person is being tested for their driving ability they are essentially participating in an experiment to see if their driving skills are on par with the driving rules of the road. Since they are being tested/participating in an experiment, the way they conduct themselves during a driving test is greatly better. Put simply, during a driving test, the person is more likely to act, and drive better as opposed to when the person is driving alone without being tested.

Argument 2:

Testing more then once is ineffective; therefore testing every ten years is definitely ineffective. I’ve established with Argument 1 that the person being tested for a driving license is essentially acting to get good results. Their behavior can only be legitimately measured when they have no knowledge of being observed.

The way to reassure that people have the necessary driving skills to be out on the road isn’t to have them go through testing’s every 10 years. The more suitable method is for police to enforce traffic laws better, increase penalties for distracted driving, fatigue driving and drinking and driving to make the message clear. Therefore, people will abide by the traffic laws in order to avoid getting heavy fines, demerit points, suspensions etc.

Lastly, I’d like to point out that when my opponent says “accidents are common nowadays” they present this notion as if driver errors are the only thing that causes accidents. Environmental factors play a role in accidents that occur on a daily basis including: animal crossing, bad weather, damaged roads and road debris as well as poor maintenance of the car and mechanical defects.

Thank you biancabear767 for starting this debate. Good luck. a86;
biancabear767

Pro

biancabear767 forfeited this round.
H.guzasan

Con

Pro has forfieted their round. Vote Con.
biancabear767

Pro

biancabear767 forfeited this round.
H.guzasan

Con

Thank you for an active debate.