jonnyboy39
rsz42

Should a christian use his mind?

rsz42

jonnyboy39

Pro

In my experience,i have met countless christians who will cry "dont think about it,dont worry about silly issues like that,just believe and have faith.
I think that position is absolute ignorant and borderline evil.
Many professing christians say "i cant explain or prove God,but that dosnt matter,i know him in my heart".
God tells us in his word "love God with all your heart,all your strength and all your mind".
In my opinion if a christian is challenged with a hard question he"ll say get faith.
rsz42

Con

As a Christian myself, I believe that a Christian should try to refrain from using their mind with religious topics.
This does not mean that a Christian cannot open their mind to other ideas, but rather refrain from using their mind to think about matters that God will handle. The definition of Faith, provided by Merriam-Webster Dictionary is: "strong belief in someone or something."
A Christian should train themselves to let God handle matters, rather than worrying themselves on the topic.
jonnyboy39

Pro

When i say "use my mind" i do mean wrestle with ideas,engage in mental activity.
I think the bible strongly teaches this.
The bereans were told to check "what is true" by looking at scripture.
Peter tells us "give a reason for the hope",we must engage the mind to reason.
To say leave "God to handle matters" is absurd in my opinion.God uses men as vessels,we go and proclaim the gospel.
The bible says much about a person not being ignorant.
Blind faith is a misrepresentation of scripture.Thanks.
rsz42

Con

I thank you much for providing examples for me of why Christians should not use their mind to wrestle with ideas.
You mentioned Peter, who wanted reason for the hope. Is it coincidental that Peter is also the man who denied knowing Jesus on 3 separate occasions?
You mentioned the Bereans, who were told to "check what is true". Is is coincidental that the Bereans rejected Sola Scriptura, the very article that states that the Bible is the sole source of revelation?
It is not a coincidence. Thanks
jonnyboy39

Pro

What has Peter denying jesus have to do with anything? what the bible teaches is this: be ready to give an answer for the hope within you.Regarding the beareas I am only stating what scripture teaches.
I will now offer another evidence, God tells us love him with all heart, all strength, and all our MIND, we think, ponder, muse, meditate, reason with our mind.
Paul tells us to set our minds " on things above" to think whatever pure, noble, true, etc.
But i guess the bible is all wrong?
rsz42

Con

I'm not stating that the Bible is wrong, but rather those people in the Bible who tell us to use our minds are usually the most corrupt people.
Why bother your mind on the afterlife? A person has no outcome on the afterlife other than accepting that Jesus was God's son and that he rose for your sins. After that, afterlife cannot be changed by you, so why use your mind on that? It only hinders a person's ability to live life to the fullest ability by creating fear that you may not live in heaven.
Posted by jonnyboy39 9 months ago
jonnyboy39
I hear some people say "in complex thinking,the devil resides".Its almost like to use ones mind is to deny God or lack faith? I hope my question is more clear
Posted by Yehoshua 9 months ago
Yehoshua
Scripturally, there can be no debate here though. If you come across somebody who says that, just tell them to read Proverbs. Problem solved.
Posted by WalkingTarget 9 months ago
WalkingTarget
Right now, I agree with Pro. As a man of faith, I believe that Christians should wrestle with the challenging questions. However, I do not thing that jonnyboy39 has met very many Christians if, "Get faith." is the only answer he has received.
Posted by jonnyboy39 9 months ago
jonnyboy39
What i am asking is:shall a christian rely on just faith,or should he probe and ask questions,that to some wont look like faith?
Posted by Thiest_1998 9 months ago
Thiest_1998
If I accept the debate I have no Idea what to say because I don't really get your point
Posted by Thiest_1998 9 months ago
Thiest_1998
Just to be sure you're implying that a Christian should use his/her mind when they're not suure about he answer
Posted by PowerPikachu21 9 months ago
PowerPikachu21
I don't know about "don't worry about it", but I have heard Christians resorting to athiests having "not enough faith to see the truth" when cornered.
Vote Placed by QueenDaisy 8 months ago
QueenDaisy
jonnyboy39rsz42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Wasn't really convinced either way, so no argument points. Pro made a number of SP&G errors, particularly with capital letters. Though neither explicitly linked external sources, Con provided a dictionary definition. However, this is NOT the definition present in the dictionary they cited: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld