britkit_francis
ScrinTech

Should a debater without a profile picture be considered a new person to join this organization?

ScrinTech

britkit_francis

Pro

I think that if your profile picture is still a purple circle you are going to be very likely be a
new person to this website group.

New person slangs:
newbie, greenhand, newb, greenhorn, The New Guy, ect.
ScrinTech

Con

I would state the opposite...

The purple circle outline is DDO's (Debate Dot Org's) default picture for users not willing to either:
A) Submit and Upload their own
B) Choose another of the sites own custom avatars (Robot, Man, Teacher, etc.)

MY STANCE:
DDO's Default Profile Picture is not just for New Users (or any of the slang words my opponent has previously stated)

I: Prestige
While this may be a hard point to prove there are things that make me skeptical as to why you chose this as a topic, nevertheless I will continue forward.

In a debate against Mikal tbhidc tied evenly and his profile picture was the default purple outline of a circle.
In fact both sides tied evenly so that shows that he had to have some amount of prestige to tie with a "DDO Legend".[1]

You need a good argument to tie with a dragon. So please if you must, show me wherein this argument is there anything that shows him with the knowledge of debating.

If that's not enough I can delve further.

We can't have accurate statistics because going throughout the list of users would take an extensive amount that we don't have for the debate so lets speculate.

According to DDO's wikia:
"As of January 2015, there are 219,606 users"[2]

II: Numbers

219,606 it'd take a lot of free time to find out who had a default DDO picture and not so I'm just going to estimate and say about a fourth of DDO users have not changed their default DDO pic. I can only guess this because of the overwhelming amount of people currently on DDO forgive me if my estimate is off.

It'd be insane for a fourth of DDO to be completely "new" to the website community. DDO goes past debates: there are opinions, forums, and polls there's a lot to do on this website and it doesn't have to be debating. So its not right to deem someone new by the amount of debates they have won and a system-generated profile picture.

Onto you Pro I anxiously await your response.

[1]: http://www.debate.org...;
[2]: http://ddo.wikia.com...
britkit_francis

Pro

I still maintain my response.

Users should at least have time to change their user picture with at least a given user picture provided by the webpage. Serious users like you and me definitely changed their profile picture because we are used to posting on these debates. The default image of a purple circle outline may just prove that the person is new to this. Find a random user with the default image, click on their info, and most likely their info is going to state that they just joined recently. Still ,Rokgutarist (no offence) made a small and non serious response to realerthanlifeJK's debate. [1] Dark_Soul, on the other hand started a war scenario including Russia and the US and all he had was a provided profile image.[2]

[1]www.debate.org/debates/Would-you-buy-an-ex-army-1941-dodge-half-ton-truck-with-a-mostly-complete-body-but-no-engine/1/
[2]www.debate.org/debates/United-States-of-America-vs-Russia-in-a-war./1/
ScrinTech

Con

Rebuttals

"Users should at least have time to change their user picture with at least a given user picture provided by the webpage"

They don't have to do anything if they don't want to its all up to preference. The "New Users" as you are calling them might actually have neither the time nor care into putting in a Image.

"Serious users like you and me definitely changed their profile picture because we are used to posting on these debates

You're kidding right? I barely take DDO seriously, I get too much for what I bargined for and end up having an absurd amount of ties because neither I nor my opponent posted. I've even debated a child on whether or not "Pasta should be illagal"[1]

"Find a random user with the default image, click on their info, and most likely their info is going to state that they just joined recently"

Ahh, but that's wherein lies our problem. DDO has as I've stated before about 200k users possibly more. When sifting around 200k users there are probably going to be AT LEAST one or two thousand of them with the default picture. We can't necessarily judge whether they are new to this website group just by their picture and their statistics. Perhaps they had been unecessarily banned and wanted some other way to get on DDO.

"Still, Rokgutarist made a small and non serious response to realerthanlifeJK's debate."

Considering the fact that they weren't actually debating? The 'Debate' was literally a matter of opinion on whether or not you would want to buy a 1941ex-army dodge half-ton truck. Rokgutarist gave his response which made sense because replacing the engine of a truck or any other car for that matter is not cheap.

"Dark_Soul, on the other hand started a war scenario including Russia and the US and all he had was a provided profile image"

This is irrelevant to the case at hand. Whatsmore so is that the one who accepted this debate was the same one who created the 'Debate' about the Truck. Having a Default, Standard, or Usermade profile picture is irrelevant in terms of skill in Debates.
britkit_francis

Pro

You've practically beat me. You can forfeit the round or end off strong. This is all I've got to say.
ScrinTech

Con

Well, you heard it here first folks.

Pro didn't rebut my previous statements.

Vote Con
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Was about to post about the missing link. I really need to read ""Pasta should be illagal"
Posted by ScrinTech 2 years ago
ScrinTech
[1]: http://www.debate.org...

My fault, sorry.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
britkit_francisScrinTechTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 2 years ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
britkit_francisScrinTechTied
Reasons for voting decision: you could have won this of you haven't conceeded pro. Over all, ok debate I guess. Con had better arguments.