eb904
Julian-Harker

Should a mental health system be re-introduced?

eb904

Pro

Hello! I strongly believe that a public mental health system should be introduced in the United States, anybody who thinks otherwise, I would love to debate!
Julian-Harker

Con

I feel so bad for negating this.

To my perspective I don't think it needs to be re-introduced. There are already systems that crack down on behavioural health challenges and substance abuse. If it were to be implemented, it would be adding unnecessary weight as we already have the help we got.
eb904

Pro

The benefits for re-introducing a public mental healthcare system would be endless. For example, the USA's homeless problem is out of proportion, but fact shows that this problem only became prevalent in the 1980's, when president Ronald Reagan abolished it. While there was supposedly a transition out of the institutions for patients, for many this was not practical for their situation. Many were left to the streets, unable to pay for their medication and get work due to their condition.

This is still a problem, even with insurance there is no possible way for many mentally ill people to pay for privatized mental care. I would argue, that if the United States has enough money to pay for some 300 billion dollars a year in unused military equipment, they definitely have enough to donate a couple billion to help mentally ill people off the streets, and to help lower income families.
Julian-Harker

Con

Julian-Harker forfeited this round.
eb904

Pro

eb904 forfeited this round.
Julian-Harker

Con

Apologies man, I am busy taking exams for my future career, and I have no time to debate. You have my vote of winning.
eb904

Pro

eb904 forfeited this round.
Julian-Harker

Con

Julian-Harker forfeited this round.
Posted by 413gallowscalibrator 1 year ago
413gallowscalibrator
I would have to argue against simply because the US government does not have the money to do so. Congress should only fund necessities in order to lower our national debt, and because our society is able to run without those facilities money should be dedicated to other issues.
Posted by Elias_is_the_llama 1 year ago
Elias_is_the_llama
Just a little perspective from the UK. In my opinion our model is extremely ineffective, I've personally been through it, there are no beds in hospitals, it's just a waiting game for people, you never know what's going on and I swear to God, the next time someone comes to my house, interviews me, achieves nothing and leaves I will punch something.