BigPlayer098
audraxheartsxyou

Should a person die for killing someone? Including children.

Con Tied Pro

BigPlayer098

Con

No. People could be givin another chance. Everyone deserves a second chance, some people even get frammed.
audraxheartsxyou

Pro

People shouldn't be given another chance. Think about it for a second, you're mom, dad, brother, sister, gf/bf, daughter wife..etc. was murdered. Wouldn't you want the killer to be put to justice. If the person is framed, I'm sure the technology we have today is just enough to figure that out.
BigPlayer098

Con

BigPlayer098 forfeited this round.
audraxheartsxyou

Pro

I agree with Goldspurs. We shouldn't be having to pay for a murderer to eat 3 square meals a day, cable television, a gym, and whatever else they get. Children shouldn't exactly get killed for what they've done but they should still get the prison punishment.

If you're unfamiliar with the Bible the 6th Commandment states:
--> SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

Also considering the story of Cain and Able in Genesis 4:
4:8. And Cain said to Abel his brother: Let us go forth abroad. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel, and slew him.
4:9. And the Lord said to Cain: Where is thy brother Abel? And he answered: I know not: am I my brother's keeper?
4:10. And he said to him: What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth to me from the earth.
4:11. Now therefore cursed shalt thou be upon the earth, which hath opened her mouth and received the blood of thy brother at thy hand.
4:12. When thou shalt till it, it shall not yield to thee its fruit: a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be upon the earth.
4:13. And Cain said to the Lord: My iniquity is greater than that I may deserve pardon.
4:14. Behold thou dost cast me out this day from the face of the earth, and from thy face I shall be hid, and I shall be a vagabond and a fugitive on the earth: every one therefore that findeth me, shall kill me.
4:15. And the Lord said to him: No, it shall not so be: but whosoever shall kill Cain, shall be punished sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, that whosoever found him should not kill him.
4:16. And Cain went out from the face of the Lord, and dwelt as a fugitive on the earth at the east side of Eden.

I'm doing a project about the Death Penalty actaully. More people are for it rather than against it even though innocent people sometimes get penalized. But not so much in this generation.
BigPlayer098

Con

BigPlayer098 forfeited this round.
audraxheartsxyou

Pro

Obviously, you don't care to much about this argument to post a recent argument. Considering this...

Enough said.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
The only thing that I believe in is that I can't prove his existence. I am true to myself and I'm proud of that fact.
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
You are right, gonovice. We should be true to ourselves. It is also true that some people fanatically quote the Bible for everything in their lives. I do believe in the essence of the Bible but I rarely quote it.

In believing, I am still true to myself. I just choose His example of peace and love. Even if you do not believe in His divinity, you can read the New Testament and get to know the man called Jesus. He has a pretty good message.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
I do respect it to some extent. When people base their lives on the Bible I tend to get a little mad. I don't believe that you should live your life for anyone but yourself.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
Don't worry guys I was joust joking. bob you didnt portray me wrong. i have to say that maybe I was misinterpreting my beliefs. I don't feel that the world needs a god to be somewhat peacefule.
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
gonovice, as Bob, I am sorry that you felt our discussion was based upon you. However, our wish that you find inner happiness remains. The fact that you believe that there is no proof of God's existence doesn't necessarily make you an atheist. An atheist believes that He does not exist period. Not being sure if He exists or doesn't exist would make you an agnostic. In any event, you have a right to your believes but always respect the fact that others have that same right.

Have a great Holiday season.
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
I think you would agree, Bob, that our discussion is evidence that a forum feature should be incorporated into the web site as Phil is contemplating.

The ultimate test for me is "Does my action give honor to Creator and does it treat my fellow man as I would be treated." Cardinal, simple rules, expressed by Jesus but found in the very core of beliefs of all of the world's major religious philosophies. Herein lies the key! There is a world of difference from a religion's philosophy and the ways that the philosophy is applied by the politics of the religion.

I do what I do in life (alcohol & drug counselor, homeless advocate and housing advocate) in order to help other people, as someone once helped me. My deeds, alone, will not get me a ticket to heaven. So, I do what I do out of love and compassion for my fellow man.

My belief in God is steadfast but I would not be considered a good Roman Catholic, Pentecostalism or even a non-denominational as defined by the scores of store-front churches that are popping up all over the place. Except for the purposes of discussion, I don't wear my beliefs on my sleeve like a badge. I much prefer Jesus' example. Rarely did He say that we had to do something. More often, He said: "Follow Me!" In order to follow Him, He had to give me an example to follow. Part of that was giving honor to the Father/Creator.

At times in our discussion, you came across (to me) as being arrogant and sarcastic. Sorry if I was wrong. Anyone who is a fanatic about something, in this case Theist or Atheist, is definitely wrong. We all have the right to our beliefs but should never close our ears to new ideas. Fanatics cause wars, discontent and discord and ruin the name of their cause.

My lament for the Roman Catholic Church is that the Catholic Charismatic Movement has not taken hold.

Have a great Holiday Season!
Posted by bobsatthepub 9 years ago
bobsatthepub
Oh and I just want to add, for a debate this disappointing it has sure caused some interesting discussion.
Posted by bobsatthepub 9 years ago
bobsatthepub
haha sorry gonovice, you didn't really need to be pulled into that, you were just being used as an example of someone who is in debate about their beliefs. I am sure neither of us intended on speaking on your behalf, it's just how things flowed.
I apologize if I showed you as something you are not.

We agree on a lot Fred, the basic ideas of Christianity, its purpose it's ideas are all brilliant and have created some of the greatest guidelines for man to live by for the last few thousand years. Even if now some more precise area specific ideas need to be implaced due to the introduction of new technologies and ideals. If I was to create a religion myself it would carry many of the same values as those of Christianity (but I might modernize the language used in the ten commandments).

The only thing different for me is this, I don't need a god. I don't believe I need to believe in god to do the world good. I want to be someone who I believe to be a good person , I don't want to be remembered as a good catholic, I just want to be a person with strong personal beliefs who was a positive influence. I don't need the threat of hell or the promise of heaven to be that person, but if some people do then at least they are motivated towards the right thing.

I'm sure you are a really nice man, I'm sure in a world without religion you would be that person still. But our world is full of religion it doesn't matter were in that pool of beliefs you fall as long as your true to what you believe to be the right thing. I'm sure you will find some agreement with that.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
Preacher Fred I wasn't talking about you, when I asked why you were athiest. I was talking to someone else sorry about that.

Why are both of you talking about me? I have found in my heart that I can't prove that God exists. does that mean i'm athiest now? i guess it does. when you can prove to me that God exists then I will believe in him, until then I guess I don't believe in him. what do you want me to find in my heart, preacherfred?
Posted by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
I was an altar boy from 10 rears old until seventeen. I went to Roman Catholic grammar school (taught the punishing God) and a regional Catholic High School (taught the loving God). I know firsthand of the scandals within the church. I also took an elective Comparative Religion course. I have read and studied the Bible all the way through several times. There is a lot of ethical advice to be found in the spirit of the Bible. It is when we start nit-picking and over-analysing every word that we get into trouble.

The Roman Catholic Church politic has much that it should be ashamed of, but so do most religions. My personal joke is that I am still a Catholic (Christ is the head,and we are the Church), but maybe not so Roman.

If your desire is to set up a religion that is more in tune with what Jesus really preached, I would support you. If you want to set up a new religion that totally discredits or ignores the Bible, I would say you are doomed to failure.

It is a pet peeve of mine when a pastor tries to tell me that the Bible says I am going to be rich in a monetary sense when it is clear to me that I am to be rich in a spiritual sense.

Upon one thing we do agree: "I'm sure gonovice will find "the truth" and if she does so happen to find it in her "heart" then I hope it makes life easier for her."
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by Ineffablesquirrel 9 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by Richard89 9 years ago
Richard89
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by mudder-pooh 9 years ago
mudder-pooh
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by shalominthehome 9 years ago
shalominthehome
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by bamadebater 9 years ago
bamadebater
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by Luigi_Umberto 9 years ago
Luigi_Umberto
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied
Vote Placed by forensics 9 years ago
forensics
BigPlayer098audraxheartsxyouTied