armydaughter7us
chiku2511

Should a student be suspended from riding the bus if they are constantly taunting other students?

armydaughter7us

Pro

If a student is taunting other students on the bus and creating an unsafe environment, both emotionally and physically, then they should be suspended from riding the bus.
chiku2511

Con

I don't think they should be suspended because its only taunting and we have all been taunted. Its also immature to let it get to you. They are just petty bullies and cant do anything so its not worth your time suspending them. You should also just walk away from such people and ignore them. Plus many school buses charge parents so its not really fair on the parent because they are also losing money.
All in all its not worth it so u should just walk away.
armydaughter7us

Pro

When I say taunting I mean being pushed and yelled at and criticized. Students on the bus have the right to feel safe in that kind of environment. If the bully is taunting (or bullying) a student for things that are a part of their lifestyle, then they don't have the right to ride the bus. I also never said that the student wasn't ignoring it. Even if they ignore it, it doesn't mean it makes it go away.
chiku2511

Con

I would again like to emphasize my point the person that is being bullied should just walk away or tell an adult. When the adult finds out they can solve it with the parents or the teachers. The bully might be bullying others because of his or her own past experiences and this can force them to bully people as well. Also if you do ignore them they do tend to leave you alone. In addition, many families have working parents that cant drop their children to school. So they have to use public transport. Plus bus drivers don't have the authority to do anything about it. As well as that, it isn't in school so teachers cant really have a say. Then it comes down to parents. The parents will find out why they are doing it. There is always a good reason. One scenario is past bullying by the person who is getting bullied who did it to the current bully and so on. Criticizing is not bullying anyway because otherwise you are calling food critics and so on bullies.
armydaughter7us

Pro

Walking away doesn't always make the bully stop. Telling an adult also doesn't always help. If the parents of the bully don't care then the problem cannot be taken care of. Just because a kid has a bad past, it doesn't mean they have to give other kids a bad future. And if they don't have another way to and from school, then they shouldn't be bullying in the first place. This is called consequences. If you don't like them, don't bully in the first place. And if you're criticizing a person for things that are a part of their lifestyle or how they look or act, that's bullying, and that isn't acceptable.
chiku2511

Con

I would like to start of by rebutting amrydaughter's point because if you walk away from the bully the bully will also lose interest and just leave you alone. Telling an adult will stop bullying because the responsible adult will phone the parents and the parents will sort out the issues. Other kids wont get a bad future because that really depends on your studies which lead to uni and jobs. School life shouldn't be disturbed either if you are mature. You should always think of these bullies as immature little brothers or sisters who are always teasing you. You should just be calm and relax. Bullying is also a issue between the two people. They should compromise really and reach a conclusion. The best way forward in such a situation is just forget about it and live your life. Nobody can change who you are. Bullies are peer pressures if they say you are ugly they are just jealous. You should be mature, I just cant emphasize that point enough. Never take bullying to your heart, think of it as a bug annoying you just swat it away and carry on with your day. If you do suspend the bully when he or she comes back it will get worse because they will start calling you a snitch and your good reputation in school will deteriorate rapidly. It is your loss if you get him or her suspended then if you walk away because then you don't lose anything and he doesn't gain anything.
armydaughter7us

Pro

The bully doesn't always lose interest. Sometimes they gain even more because they want that attention from other students in order to intimidate others. Telling an adult doesn't always solve the problem. If the responsible adult phones the parents of the bully, they aren't always willing to try to make things right. There's a situation on my bus that a kid is bullying my little brother and me. I can take it, I'm secure and mature enough to brush it off. But he is in that age that anything will destroy whatever is there of his self-esteem. My brother comes home mad and crying and hurt because this bully isn't being stopped. We have contacted his parents, who have told us that they can't control what he does and to screw off and not get into their business about their child. My brother starts his day with being criticized and ends it the same way. A day that this boy isn't on the bus is a day in heaven. We have also talked to the principal and the bus company and bus driver and they say that there isn't anything they can do to stop him. That they can't control what he says or does. You tell me if this seems like a safe and healthy environment to be in. Removing this bully off the bus would be the greatest decision the school has made for it's students' well-being.
chiku2511

Con

I am sorry to hear about that army daughter. In cases like these it might be good to see police or ring childline. These are the type of cases that they take care off. I personally think that it is the job of the parent to take a say in what their child is doing. I would also say that the principal should expel such I child and I would already have done that. The bully in question should still be ignored. I am pretty sure that the bully has been given a warning and bullying is a serious matter. In my school even if the teachers find out you are bullying your parents get called immediately and you are suspended. You can of course find other methods of transport to school, parents drop you if possible, go with a friend, walk or even take a different bus. I am afraid I cant do anything else in such a matter, but like I said in the previous round if you get the bully suspended and when he comes back he will make your life hell. So in this scenario I would suggest to talk to childline, police or get him expelled.
armydaughter7us

Pro

We have contacted the police and they said they couldn't do anything about it because the student isn't old enough to get in trouble with the police. We've tried everything and nobody wants to take care of this bully.
chiku2511

Con

I am sorry, however I still insist about talking to Childline. However in summary to my debate I would like to say because its immature to get them suspended, we can be mature and just move on. The parents of the bully are also losing economically. Ignoring them would also be helpful. The bully might also be bullying because of his/her experiences in the past so its not fair to criticize them either. Don't get involved and tell an adult to sort out the issue instead. If you suspend the bully you will be called a snitch and it will get worse. If the problem carries on get the child expelled, talk to Childline or the police. Thank you for reading this debate and I also thank the opponent for giving me a chance to debate against them. May the better debater win.