vvirtuee
kylieretriever

Should a teacher take off marks because you drew pictures on the page?

vvirtuee

Con

Okay, so firstly, in my Science class I drew a pot leaf on the back of my homework out of pure boredom (along with many other drawings) after finishing my work. However, when discussing the homework later with my teacher in class, my teacher threatened to give me a zero even though I got perfect on the homework simply because I drew a pot leaf on it... ? Firstly, she never knew it was a pot leaf and she went straight to assumption, but why should this even matter in the first place? I tried to argue with her and almost got sent to the office. If you got 100% or even any other grade on a homework sheet or quiz/test but drew on it should you get marks taken off because of what you drew? Or even drawing on it in the first place? What do you all think? Thanks.
kylieretriever

Pro

I do think that your teacher has a reasonable argument as to why she would mark you down.
One, this was a threat. Sure, it may have been blown out of proportion with the threat to have you sent to the office, but it's not really her fault if you were arguing with her. To me, this isn't a big deal. You shouldn't be drawing pot on school work, because it's school work. Depending on where you live, it's probably illegal, and it only makes sense to call you out on it. In the end,you didn't get penalized so I don't really think it's a big deal. Best of luck!
vvirtuee

Con

vvirtuee forfeited this round.
kylieretriever

Pro

kylieretriever forfeited this round.
vvirtuee

Con

vvirtuee forfeited this round.
kylieretriever

Pro

kylieretriever forfeited this round.
Posted by WhoWouldnt 1 year ago
WhoWouldnt
What are the conduct policies of your school? What are the classroom rules? Did you and your parents agree to conduct yourself accordingly when you enrolled in the school and when signing a disclosure and/or syllabus for the class?

Keep in mind the teacher has a responsibility to keep order in the classroom. Sure, you may have meant no harm, but what if all the students were doodling on their paper? Some can doodle and get their work done and others cannot.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong or unethical, but I am saying try to view this from your teacher's perspective. When setting up a classroom you have to set rules (otherwise, chaos ensues and learning becomes difficult if not impossible). Once rules are in place you have to decide how to enforce those rules. A lot of it comes down to, what is acceptable and unacceptable in the learning environment.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a silly thing to say your assignment is incorrect if it clearly had the correct work completed, but if drug references or drug related images are against school policy (and you agreed to go to school there) then the teacher should be allowed to enforce a necessary objection and possible consequence to the action. If I were the teacher in this case, I would say that it isn't appropriate for school and if you could (incoming bad pun in 3...2...1...) LEAF it off the paper next time.
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
Why did you draw a picture of a pot leaf on your homework that you knew you were going to turn in to your teacher anyways? That seems like a horrible idea