TiggerAndWolf
BootsWithDefer

Should abortion be a political issue

TiggerAndWolf

Pro

Abortion has become a big deal in the U.S, it is so big that people are saying that the government should get involved. Not only that but abortion is bad and the women who have abortions should regret getting them. Destroying the life of an unborn child is wrong and the government should put a stop to it. Abortion would be a good political issue if the government would take it on. The children who have were not given a choice to live because of abortion should not be punished for the actions of their "Mother". women should only be given the choice of adoption or keeping the child. No one should be given the choice of killing a unborn baby just because they were not ready.
BootsWithDefer

Con

I disagree with the resolved.
I do not agree with abortion either, but I also do not deem myself worthy to tell a woman she cannot have one if she will likely die, or if she were raped.

There are many issues, abortion being one of them, that politicians are not the people to answer. Two presidential candidates arguing about abortion gets society nowhere.

CA1: Abortion is a legal and moral issue, not political:
When does life begin, and how long afterwards is it acceptable to end it (if ever)?
Under what circumstances (if any) is abortion acceptable?
The father is as much the parent as the mother. Where do mens rights come into this?

These are all questions that are grey areas. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer regardless of belief. I am a Christian and believe all life is sacred, and therefore find myself disagreeing with abortion on a general level. There are still many circumstances that are not reulatable, however. Rape, death of the mother, birth difficulties.

The reason I took this debate was because your mindset pains me. You think it is wrong, but want to regulate a non-regulatable thing based on politics. It is a Moral issue, first and foremost.

CA2: Generalization is as wrong here as it is everywhere else:
Women are not all the same. Abortion is not a cookie cutter issue. There are MANY cases where the decision is un-warranted (teen pregnancy, "I dont want the baby")
But there are also many cases where it goes much deeper and the Mothers you refer to so flippantly reffer to in quotes must make a terrible decision: die, or lose my child

On my opponents case:

Pro has a very narrow view on abortion and the women that choose to get them. Your view is hateful, judging, and un-based. I am a Christian and believe all life is sacred, and dont agre with abortion on a basis of valuing life. Nothing is just "wrong" because its "wrong", and even if it is, your view on the women that choose to get them is wrong and closed-minded.

"The women who have abortions should regret getting them"
I do not know a woman thats had an abortion that was proud of it.

"women should only be given the choice of adoption or keeping the child."
You mean to tell me if youre raped or were going to die youd want no other option? That is assuming much more of yourself than I feel you are capable to do

" No one should be given the choice of killing a unborn baby just because they were not ready"
Like I said, abortion is a complex issue. There are mamny more reasons for being given the option of getting one, however I do agree that just deciding you dont want to have a baby 9 months in is not an acceptable reason.
TiggerAndWolf

Pro

TiggerAndWolf forfeited this round.
BootsWithDefer

Con

BootsWithDefer forfeited this round.
TiggerAndWolf

Pro

TiggerAndWolf forfeited this round.
BootsWithDefer

Con

BootsWithDefer forfeited this round.
Posted by BootsWithDefer 1 year ago
BootsWithDefer
Disappointed with the forfeit. Vote con!
Posted by BootsWithDefer 1 year ago
BootsWithDefer
Yeah, kinda is already
Posted by Mags2 1 year ago
Mags2
You do know that this is an actual governmental issue?