RebelRebelDixieDixie01
WiseApple

Should abortion be an option for teens under 18?

WiseApple

RebelRebelDixieDixie01

Con

Ok, so here's how i see it, if you're letting an under aged girl make a decision that she might later regret, why let her do it? I can understand letting one do it after they turn 18, but before that, it was their choice to have unmerital sexual interactions! So how i see it is that it's their fault and they should be held responsible because they chose the life they have!
WiseApple

Pro

My first point of debate is that not all teenage pregnancies are undertaken with the knowledge of contraception For example, in many cases of pregnancy, the teenager in question is below the age of fourteen and fifteen, which in UK schooling is the age that sex education is compulsorily administered, and even then, the information taught is limited, and often leaved shortcomings in basic sexual knowledge.
My second point of debate is that teenagers often lack the skills to defend themselves against pregnancy pressure. Evidence to support this would be that in a survey of 474 young mothers, aged 11 to 21, in Chicago, 48% reported experiencing pregnancy pressure, such as threats, violence and verbal persuasion to have a child. Also, teenage girls in physically violent relationships are 3.5 times more likely to become pregnant and are 2.8 times more likely to fear the possible consequences of negotiating condom use than non-abused girls. They are also half as likely to use condoms consistently compared to non-abused girls, and teenage boys perpetrating dating violence are also less likely to use condoms.

This concludes my arguments for round 1.
RebelRebelDixieDixie01

Con

We can't forget that abortion stops a beating heart. So what if its an unborn baby? It's still killing it! Even if the mother can't take care of the baby, she can still put it up for adoption instead of killing it, which in all honesty, is murder.
WiseApple

Pro

A foetus is not sentient until the fourteenth week of development. Until then it is just several kilograms of matter. Even then, it cannot think for itself or have a say. A mother has been raped and she is supposed to give way to the possible opinion of a bag of fluids?
RebelRebelDixieDixie01

Con

Really? Really? How could you say that? You must not have a heart! It's actually 8 days after conception a baby's heart starts beating! How could you say that its just kilograms? That is probably the most unhearted thing i've ever heard in my entire life! And I watched the Obama Inauguration!
WiseApple

Pro

It IS kilograms of matter. Would you feel the same way towards a tumour? A baby's heart might beat after 8 days, but that does NOT mean it is capable of thought. It's not unhearted. It's a clinical point of view.
Posted by RebelRebelDixieDixie01 3 years ago
RebelRebelDixieDixie01
It's still life, I'm a pacifist, we know how to act.
Posted by siriblueberry 3 years ago
siriblueberry
When I was only 15 years old I fell pregnant from rape. I decided to get an abortion because I knew if I was conceived from rape that I would regret my own life and would feel like a burden to my mother. I don't believe abortion is killing. I believe abortion is the termination of a potential life. key word being potential. most abortions occur before the second trimester of a pregnancy and at that point in a fetus' life it looks like a sea monkey. also to mention it doesn't have the right to life.
Posted by Anakin 3 years ago
Anakin
Wiseapple can you provide a link to the survey and statistics your you are using?
Vote Placed by 2Sense 3 years ago
2Sense
RebelRebelDixieDixie01WiseAppleTied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel like the debate kinda veered off the road on Con's part. The debate ended up being about the humanness of an unborn fetus, when the resolution initially dealt with abortion being optional for minors. I wish both debaters had stayed on topic, rather, the whole thing ended up as contrived and emotionally motivated. Anyway, Pro made some good points in the first round, which Con never fully addressed, thus winning Pro the debate.