summersings
16kadams

Should abortion be illegal?

16kadams

summersings

Con

When one thinks of abortion, most likely they say, "It is wrong, children DIE!" However, those same people do not take into consideration the fact that the mother, lost and confused, would have to take care of that child. What if you were a young woman who had just been raped? What if you became pregnant with that man's child? You would not want to go through nine months of suffering for a child that would remind you of that incident. Would you? Would you want a choice?
16kadams

Pro

Rc1: Woman "Lost and Confused/rape"

The argument here is first whoops sorry I forgot to use contraception. My question (I will provide proofs of this later) is if indeed a fetus is a human, then isn't killing a human because you got drunk bad? Also rape IS NOT AN EXCUSE. Killing a baby for anthers crime is totally uncalled for, if someone killed my parents and I randomly killed a person in the street who didn't even cause the murder in the name of "justice" then it is totally immoral. The reasoning here if I prove later on in the debate a fetus is a human then in both of these cases abortion is immoral and a killing, and should be treated as murder.

Rc2: 9 months/choice

This is first assuming the woman was raped, as if one was drunk they will not likely think the moment was terrible as although their judgement was impaired they still would know it's their fault. And even if it was rape then killing a fetus is just as emotionally destructive, as aborting a fetus as many women have mental disorders ad regret after the abortion occurs. [1] At least 40% of women visit therapy after their abortions due to reasons of regret and depression. [2] Then you claim the classic choice argument. I will hold the argument that adoption is another option. There is actually a deficiency of kids in the adoption system as there are so few. [3] There are about 120,000 people in adoption facilities, [3] and about 120,000 kids get adopted. [4] That's a 100% rate.! The majority of Americans say they are open to adopting children. [5] This indicates we could easily ban abortion and have enough adopting parents.

~My Case~

C1: A fetus is a human

A zygote, made at the moment of conception, already has the same attributes needed to be alive. It has metabolism, growth, reacts to stimulants, and reproduction (cells). [6] Based on these facts a fetus is already a human and killing it should be classified as murder. I will proceed with this argument as is abortion is murder then abortion could easily be made illegal. At the moment of fertilization a new being has been made, it has the human DNA, and has the qualities needed for life. [7] By as early as the third day the nervous system is being created and in some cases EXISTS, and other organs are under construction. [8]

C2: An Abortion increases breast cancer risk

In Finland the number of abortions is correlated with an increase in breast cancer. More abortions = more breast cancer. [9] 30 studies have concluded an abortion is leads to a higher chance of breast cancer [6] An abortion increases the rick of breast cancer by 50%. [10] 8 medical associations have accepted the act that abortion leads to breast cancer. [11]

C3: Economic growth is negatively impacted By abortions

Population growth is linked to urbanization, and urban countries tend to be wealthier. [12] (more abortions = less population growth). Fewer babies = fewer consumers. [13] Without consumers no goods are bought, less consumers = less goods are bought, less goods bought = slower economic growth. Also as abortion lowers population, it shrinks the labor force. [13] One Study shows for every American that aborted they cost the economy $1 5000 000. [14] he reason is they are less workers, as I stated above, and less consumers. That means less money is being pumped into the economy. 40 million have been aborted. [9] This means less taxes the goverment gets! [15] here is no economic benifit to abortion. [16]

VOTE Pro

[1] Ashton,"They Psychosocial Outcome of Induced Abortion", British Journal of Ob&Gyn., 87:1115-1122, (1980).
[2] Kent, et al., "Bereavement in Post-Abortive Women: A Clinical Report", World Journal of Psychosynthesis (Autumn-Winter 1981)
[3] Terry Eastland, "The Forgotten Option," The Weekly Standard, Jan. 29, 2003
[4] http://adopting.adoption.com...
[5] http://www.adoptioninstitute.org...
[6] F. Beck, D. B. Moffat, and D. P. Davies, Human Embryology, Second edition
[7] Subcommittee on Separation of Powers, report to Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 97th Congress, 1st Session, 1981
[8] Stephen M. Krason, Abortion: Politics, Morality, and the Constitution(Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1984)
[9] Lime 5, by Mark Crutcher, 1996, Life Dynamics Inc. Denton, Texas. p223-238
[10] http://www.newswithviews.com...
[11] http://www.abortionbreastcancer.com...
[12] http://blogs.worldbank.org...
[13] http://www.nrlc.org...
[14] Fight for Life - a pro-life handbook for Southern Africa, by Miriam Cain. 1995 Africa Christian Action, Cape Town, p27
[15] http://www.lifenews.com...
[16] http://nelson-acquilano.suite101.com...
summersings

Con

summersings forfeited this round.
16kadams

Pro

Extend arguments
se extienden los argumentos (Spanish)
kupanua hoja (Swahili)
פאַרברייטערן טענות
Pʼarbryytʻrn tʻnwţ (Yiddish)
ymestyn dadleuon (welsh)

Look you learned something new :D
summersings

Con

summersings forfeited this round.
16kadams

Pro

I win here too...
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
losing 1 point is ok with me.
Posted by summersings 4 years ago
summersings
Nice job. However, I would proofread if I were you, it takes off points.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
educated
Posted by summersings 4 years ago
summersings
I know the Declaration of Independence states that the people have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; however, your debate clearly states that the girl will have to go through the pain by having the child, which violates her right to the pursuit of happiness, and every day 1400 women and girls die giving birth to a child, what if that poor, innocent woman lost her right to life because of this action. Most likely both the child AND the mother would pass away. Do you want this to happen to our next generation, women dying because of the acts of others. I believe that you would agree with me.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
I will
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Educate her Adams! :)
Deathbeforedishonour
And the baby doesn't have a choice? Lets not forget by 6 weeks (1 month) the baby has a beating heart, and by 8 weeks it has a functioning brain. It is a human being. It deserves to have a say in this too. Besides rather then punishing the baby for what the rapest did, we should just..Oh I don't know..Rip the rapest apart rather then the BABY! It does't matter about the mothers maturity what matters is that the person gets the chance to live his life. Read the Constitution and you will see that Abortion is unconstitutional.
Posted by summersings 4 years ago
summersings
I do have to argue that if you believe such matters, would you go through the pain of childbirth for 9 months to give away your child. By the time the mother has seen the child, she has developed an emotional connection with him/her;however, she might not be up to that level of maturity to keep the infant. It is her choice.
Deathbeforedishonour
There is a choice...IT"S CALLED ADOPTION!
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
summersings16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Con.
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
summersings16kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit....