ng
SimplyE

Should abortion be illegal?

SimplyE

ng

Pro

Yes, I do think abortion should be illegal. It is wrong and inhuman. The first round will be an acceptance round. After this round it is going to be an opening statement round. Very basic, and we can decide rest together, like the rules.
SimplyE

Con

Challenge Accepted
ng

Pro

ng forfeited this round.
SimplyE

Con

Well, since it looks like the pro has left, i say abortion should not be illegal because if it was made illegal, flying bears would descend from the sky and murder all of the humans.

*sigh* i was looking forward to the debate
ng

Pro

I am so sorry. My power had gone off and when I finally got it back, i saw that i had missed the debate date. I know this is not a reasonable excuse but I am still really sorry. If my partner agrees, I would love to start the debate again. Again I am so sorry and I would love to start again.

If its okay with you, the debate can be three rounds long and in this format:

three to five paragraph essay
one huge paragraph like essay
conclusion- you can decide how to format this

Please reply back
SimplyE

Con

Perfectly acceptable excuse, it wasn't in your control, so no harm done and no apology needed.

I accept your terms of debate and await the debate.

Once again no apology needed, things happen.
ng

Pro

Sorry I didn't see the thing that said there was only two rounds left so I guess the format will be this:

3-5 paragraphs

Here is my 3-5 paragraph:

Abortion is a process where a baby is killed before it is even born. I could list many things that suggest that abortion is inhumane and wrong but for my opening statement I will focus on one. How it affects the parents. Many reason can make you want to abort. According to abortionfacts.com the number one reason people born is because they are afraid to tell their parents. This is not a suitable reason to abort. If you are scared to tell your parents then you should have thought of that before deciding to go have a baby. This also shows how much of a coward you are because not only did you kill a innocent life, you ran away from your problems. When your parents find out, instead of being proud of you for killing your child, they will probably disappointed at you. Don't forget they are parents to, they know how fragile and precious a baby is. Stupid excuses like this is the reason that since the legalization of abortion in 1973, according to tfpstudentaction.org 54 million unborn babies have been killed. That is 1 baby every 20 seconds.

Abortion also impacts the parents health greatly. According to abortion recovery.org, a women that aborts has a higher risk of getting Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a disorder that happens when someone has seen something gruesome and tragic. Women, after abortion are usually very ashamed and guilty of what they have done, and scarred by the memory and feeling their baby dying inside them. Often they never recover from the guilt and depression that overtakes them. Women also have a hard time telling others about the abortion, fearing what her loved ones would think of her. This will lead them to being more closed off and stressed.

Men are also affected by abortion. According to lifeissues.org men are just as affected by abortion as women are. It is also their child after all. In the website I found a story about a young male named Peter. Peter and his girlfriend had sex only once but they found out she was pregnant. Together, with Peter reluctantly agreeing they got an abortion. Afterwards Peter was I horrified with what he had done that he started drinking and having drugs. When Peter went to his family, they told him that what he did was right making him even more confused and depressed. He developed a fear of women that kept him from dating for 8 years.

This evidence shows that abortion is an unhealthy choice that affects the parents mental health greatly, and should not be used.
SimplyE

Con

First off i would like to question the validity of some of the sources brought out by the Pro, as they are extremely biased.

The first source abortionfacts.com has no sources for their evidence and most of the "facts" are simply opinions, such as "fact" number 1,"Every abortion kills an innocent human being. Every new life begins at conception." Along with the fact that associated organizations include Abolish Human Abortion this information is obviously biased.

The next source tfpstudentaction.org states their mission is " TFP Student Action is a project of the American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property. Founded in 1973, the American TFP was formed to resist, in the realm of ideas, the liberal, socialist and communist trends of the times and proudly affirm the positive values of tradition, family and private property." though i can't find the exact source used by the Pro, much of the information on the website is opinion produced by the project itself.

abortionrecovery.org, once again no sources for their information.

Lifeissues.org uses accurate and cited information for the most part

After all that, now on to my rebuttal

My opponent states in their opening paragraph that "the number one reason people born[abort] is because they are afraid to tell their parents. This is not a suitable reason to abort." This statistic seems to imply that it is almost exclusively teenagers who get abortions. The Pro then goes on to state how abortion causes parents to be disappointed in their child for getting an abortion. This entire argument is based on a closed line of communication between parent in child, in cases like this it is more likely the result of the child no speaking to the parent in the first place and the abortion is more a result than a cause. This argument also hinges on parents that are against abortion not parents that are pro-choice. In the final sentence the Pro states," Stupid excuses like this is the reason that since the legalization of abortion in 1973, according to tfpstudentaction.org 54 million unborn babies have been killed."This statement implies that Roe v. Wade caused abortion to sky rocket, this is unconfirmable since abortions records weren't kept for the most part, since it was illegal in most states.

The rest of the argument is that both men and women have post-abortion depression. While this may be a recent study shows that, "high rates are the result of women facing pressure or coercion to have an abortion or, at minimum, ambivalence about having it [1]." In the example involving Peter, he was coerced into agreeing to an abortion and was depressed afterwards. This is not a problem with abortion itself but a result of doing something they weren't prepared to do. If abortion were illegal (people would still get them) people who were not yet ready for a child, teenagers especially, would be forced everyday to remember a single mistake made that, in turn, ruined thier lives My opponent argues that this is reason enough to ban abortions, but to ban something simply because some people misuse it is illogical. The government should not force people to do something just because it may be a bad decision. Instead education as to the risks involved with abortion should be encouraged, a proper understanding of the risks involved would probably result in less abortions and less post-abortion depression.

To sum up don't make abortion illegal in all circumstances, but rather make it so proper(not abortion will give you breast cancer) instruction as to the risks of having an abortion.

Back to you ng.

[1]http://www.lifenews.com...

If you want ng we can have a full debate on the matter after this, since you were only able to present one main argument for the illegalization of abortion.
ng

Pro

ng forfeited this round.
SimplyE

Con

Well i guess that's it.

Vote Pro!
Posted by SimplyE 3 years ago
SimplyE
Oops.

Vote Con! i meant
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
ngSimplyETied
Reasons for voting decision: Due to the unfortunate situation I won't award conduct to con for pro's sake. However, all arguments did end up extended due to the power outage. Thus, argument points.