Zelda203
rzentmayer

Should abortion be legal in cases of rape or incest

Zelda203 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Debating Period

Zelda203

Con

I don't think abortion should be legal because no matter if it is unwanted, you should give it up for adoption. Or just let someone else carry it. You killing a baby is something you will have to live with for the rest of your life. Also its taking away a chance for someone who wants a family. Abortion is basically murder. Even an morning after pill, its the first stage of an abortion, which is still killing a baby. I know most people don't want a child, and it should be your decision, but still a kid is a kid, no matter how you got it. I also think that if you can live with killing a baby, you don't have an heart. I'm sixteen years old, and I believe abortion is bad, and unfair to the new life that you are bringing to the world. you should let them have a life just like you got one. I know I'm to young to understand, but I know what loosing something could do to you. And you wouldn't want to live with murder for the rest of your life.
rzentmayer

Pro

It's impossible to understand the trauma that rape victims go through. Imagine every shred of your safety and security being torn to shreds behind a dumpster in the middle of the night. Imagine the pyschological impact that is imparted after such a vicious attack. While the life of a fetus matters, so does the life of the mother. The mental damage caused by rape and incest is someting that takes year to recover from, and some don't even make it this far. It is not murder to allow a woman the right to choose when they've been violently attacked. The government shouldn't force women to carry the product of their attack to term unless they want too, which a completely different story. I appluad the women who are strong enough to keep the child, but I don't frown upon those who make their choice of abortion when the pain and suffering is too great.
In the case of incest, it is highly likely that the cthulu will have birth defects and disorders, making it unsafe for the life of the child.
Zelda203

Con

I understand what women must go through, but shouldn't they love the baby also. I know what rape is like, I've been raped, it's hard to get over, but if I had a child from the attacker, I would keep it. I also know keeping the baby from the attacker is a crazy idea, but I think the baby, deserves the right to live, like I said you could either, have the baby, and give it up for adoption, or let someone else carry the baby, and raise it up as their own. Some people wants the baby, and if you don't want it, it could always be someone else's. If I had an baby from my attacker, and had an abortion, I wouldn't be able to live with myself after that. And I think, other women would feel the same way, that's why I think it should be illegal.
rzentmayer

Pro

I'm glad you would be able to make the choice to keep the child. But not all women feel this way, sometimes the pain and trauma is too much. The truama and pain of the rape would continue through the pregnancy, always being reminded of that incident. In some states, the rapist can gain rights to custody of the child. Even if a women decided to choose life, she may be subjected to putting her child in the hands of the man who attacked her. That's not positive for the child or the parent. The adoption system in the U.S. isn't the best either. In some state homes and orphanages, children grow up unadopted and lose their self esteem and develop disorders and don't have a sense of belonging. In the case of incest, the child is at a high risk for defects and disorders, something that would bring pain and suffering to both the mother and the child. A large number of rape victims are also very young, girls aged 11-13 can still get pregnant, but are in no condition to carry a child