bluemooncowza
Luna3

Should abortion be legal or not?

bluemooncowza

Pro

Many arguments have been stated that abortion should not be legal based only upon religious beliefs. What should it matter to someone else if a child is born or not? It is the mother's choice to do so with her unborn child as she wishes. I do not see how abortion affects someone unrealated to this situation. The law was written so that it would NOT favor one religion over another, therefore abortion should not appeal to those who's religion gets in the way of this act.
Other arguments have said that the unborn child is alive and that it deserves a chance at life. This is true, but still it is only an embryo and technically belongs to the mother. Abortion should be a choice the mother is given if she doesn't want her child.
Still more arguments progress. Some of them saying that it is the mother's fault for being pregnant in the first place. Well in the name of science it doesn't take only the mother to become pregnant. Do you want abortion or do you want to stop all sexual activity?
Luna3

Con

Luna3 forfeited this round.
bluemooncowza

Pro

I'm afraid I contradict any atempt to make an argument becaue my opponent failed to reply. I'm sorry to all the readers who can't read this debate.
I'm always up for a challenge, so set right up!
Luna3

Con

Sorry folks, I was away for the weekend, enjoying a wonderful Valentine's get-away with my beautiful wife.

<>

It's not that it matters if a child is born or not. This is not an accurate representation of where the pro-life movement comes from. We anti-abortion folks don't keep tabs on who has or has not procreated recently. The issue is the termination of a child's life in the womb. We fundamentally believe that the unborn child in the womb is a human being that is owed rights, constitutional and otherwise.

<>

If you saw the unborn as a human, you would. Consider the following statement: I do not see how killing a toddler affects someone unrelated to this situation. The venerable Martin Luther King Jr. once said, appropriate to this debate, in my view: "An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Once again the abortion debate is reduced to the most simplest of differences: Is the unborn child in the womb, in fact, a person? I would argue vehemently: yes.

<>

Roe vs. Wade (if this is the "law" you refer to -although it is not clear-) did not address religion in the manner you described. If you mean the 1st ammendment when you say "the law" then I will respond with the following. Not murdering is a biblical concept. Not stealing is a biblical concept. Yet, in most societies, bible-believing or otherwise, murder and stealing are both, in fact, illegal. Your logic is flawed in that it would require the US to legalize murder simply because the Ten Commandemnts prohibit it, in order not to violate the 1st ammendment. American society agrees on a whole that murder is a punishable offense, either because of its biblical roots or despite of it. Similarly, the termination of a life in the womb doesnt have to be categorized under any specific religious umbrella in order for it to be seen for what it is: an offense to the terminate child.

<> It is only an embryo for a short amount of time, relatively speaking, and I am not sure what you mean when you say the child "technically" belongs to the mother. If you view the child as alive, as you admit, than you should recognize that with the abolition of slavery no person technically belongs to another. You can argue successfully that the child's well being and being raised is the responsibility of the mother, but those things do not extend to the termination of the child. Just like a 15 year old can have a custodian that rapes her. That custodian would, in fact, be held responsible.

<>

We don't use the word fault, although there is something to be said for being responsible when it comes to the choices we make in the bedroom.

<> Agreed, but it's not like she is absent either.

<>
Well, obviously we can't stop all sexual activity, nor do we care to. People are free to make choices they want. Sex within marriage is a blessed thing, we believe. I dont agree with the argument that because people will have sex anyway, we might as well just let abortions happen. This is like teaching teens how to drive drunk, considering "hey, they do it anyway."
bluemooncowza

Pro

n., pl. chil�dren (chĭl'drən).

A person between birth and puberty.
A person who has not attained maturity or the age of legal majority.

An unborn infant; a fetus.
An infant; a baby.
One who is childish or immature.
A son or daughter; an offspring.
A member of a tribe; descendant: children of Abraham.

An individual regarded as strongly affected by another or by a specified time, place, or circumstance: a child of nature; a child of the Sixties.
A product or result of something specified: "Times Square is a child of the 20th century" (Richard F. Shepard).
http://www.answers.com...

This debate depends upon how you view the word "child." As you can see from the definition above that "child" has several definitions. (If you read your last argument again you can see where you've stated many times this opinion) You seem to view the word "child" as "An unborn infant; a fetus." As you can see we have a difference in opinion, but this debate should not be upon opinions. This debate is about the legalization of Abortion.

"Is the unborn child in the womb, in fact, a person? I would argue vehemently: yes."

Please explain further. You seemed to end your "argument" there. Please any facts or sites I can look at to prove that and unborn child is a person.
Just for your information, the definition of "person":
n. Person
A living human. Often used in combination: chairperson; spokesperson; salesperson.
An individual of specified character: a person of importance.
The composite of characteristics that make up an individual personality; the self.
The living body of a human: searched the prisoner's person.
Physique and general appearance.
site: http://www.answers.com...
If you could be so kind as to restate your argument since you missed round one and haven't fully declared your argument. OH and please don't give me and the reader an opinion, point of view, or belief based argument.
Thank you and I wish I could debate you more, but there are only 3 rounds.
Luna3

Con

If a child in the womb has a heart, is he not a child?
If a child in the womb has a brain, is he not a child?
If a child in the womb has blood, blood flow, can smile, can emote, can feel, can respond to human voice and touch is he not a child?
If a child in the womb can listen to and respond to music, is he not a child.

And I will go one further. Yes, we do in fact have to address "what is a person." Frankly, I dont use answers.com, wikipedia, and no not even Websters dictionary for that answer.

Consider this: If a soldier comes back from Iraq missing half his head, is he no longer a person? What about someone without legs or arms. Just a torso and a head? What about a man whose brain no longer functions? Is he not a man?

What makes a person? Is it the fully developed body?

I ask you the following question: how can something that will be a person in a few months NOT be a person, especially considering it has a heart, brain, skin, blood, hands, feet, fingers? What than is it? Property? A Mass of flesh? A choice? A decision? A political opinion?

When a child is born without arms nobody says this is not a person. Similarly, it does not take arms in the womb to have personhood.

When a child is born without legs nobody says this is not a person. Similarly, it does not take legs in the womb to have personhood.

When a child is born without a fully functioning brain nobody says this is not a person.

When a mother PLANS on bringing a child to term and that child is miscarried, nobody says "dont worry it wasnt a person yet."

When a mother drinks wine or smokes crack early in her pregnancy, nobody says "it doesnt matter, she's not keeping it anyway."

What makes a person a person is not the full development of his body. But the fact that despite his physical attributes like skin, blood, bones, organs, he is a UNIQUELY MADE THING.

If it has a heartbeat, and it is not a child? What is it?

Just because you're not born through the womb doesnt mean your not a person.
Posted by Thick-N-Lovely1216 9 years ago
Thick-N-Lovely1216
I think abortion should only be legal in cases of rape or incest. Other than that I believe the woman should suck it up and take care of her responsibility. There are so many methods of prevention, but the moment might be ruined by saying use a condom or something, so nobody says anything and they end up potentially creating a life just to go kill it with a giant vacuum. Go figure
Posted by Novan_Leon 9 years ago
Novan_Leon
In order to say a fetus isn't human, you have to define "human". By all reasoning, a fetus is indeed a human at an early stage of development.
Posted by bluemooncowza 9 years ago
bluemooncowza
Did you read my comment? It says SOME people consider it a parastie. It depends on how you view something.
This should be upon fact not opinion. I don't think I was given much fact so far.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Have you been pregnant? I have , it is not like having a parasite. I assure you if it was we would be an extinct population. Also like I stated before it is a baby which means it is a human and therefore it is murder.
Posted by bluemooncowza 9 years ago
bluemooncowza
It isn't murder.
Definition of murder:
mur·der (mûrdr)
n.
1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
from:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
technically a fetus isn't human until birth. Many people have stated that a fetus is like a parasite. Would you like a parasite in your body feeding off of you if you really didn't want a child? Like I've said before if should be a choice, not a forced law.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
She should have thought about that before she had sex .. then she wouldn't have to sacrifice for her baby. 9 months is not that long ..to give up to give your flesh and blood life without murdering the baby.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
My daughter belongs to me too , but there are laws protecting her from her mother killing her.
Posted by bluemooncowza 9 years ago
bluemooncowza
Technically the baby/fetus/embryo (whatever you want to call it) belongs to the mother. YOU. Yourself used pronouns stating that the child/fetus/embryo/baby belonged to the mother that is providing life to it. Nine months is awlfully long time. This is choice the MOTHER could make since the fetus belongs to it. Let's say you have a coup of chiken. You've taken an egg out. Since you own the chiken and whatever is produces you have rights for it. You can either let the egg hatch or eat the egg. You have rights for it. Shouldn't a woman who doesn't want to become a mother have the right to not have her fetus/baby? Remember it's a choice, not an enforced law.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
We shouldn't kill people. A baby has a right to live and does not have a choice to be inside of a mother that wants a baby or not. The mother has the right to choose , whether to get pregnant or not. Other than rape it is a women's choice to not be safe and get pregnant. She has the right to choose pregnancy or not when she is not careful enough having sex. Too bad , be more careful , now suck it up and give your child a chance at life. It isn't a matter of religion or not. It is a baby not a fetus not an embryo. Funny it is a fetus when people want to kill it , but when you want to keep it , then it becomes oh the baby kicked , oh a baby shower, a baby on the U/S , my baby .. never hear pregnant women say the fetus kicked or the embryo kicked. I never hear a doctor say want to hear your fetus' heartbeat ... they says Baby. I say women should stop being selfish and suck it up for 9 months , they had a choice and chose to not be careful ...
Vote Placed by kingd12 9 years ago
kingd12
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by bluemooncowza 9 years ago
bluemooncowza
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by pazmusik 9 years ago
pazmusik
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by DaPofoKing 9 years ago
DaPofoKing
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by adam_markal 9 years ago
adam_markal
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by Novan_Leon 9 years ago
Novan_Leon
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by CP 9 years ago
CP
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied
Vote Placed by believer_720 9 years ago
believer_720
bluemooncowzaLuna3Tied