PepperButler
calculatedr1sk

Should abortion be legal?

calculatedr1sk

PepperButler

Con

Abortion should be illegal! The fetus is still a human and to even have the heart to murder this undeveloped human is preposterous! Who in there right mind would even have the thought of hurting something that has not even began to see the world with their eyes!
calculatedr1sk

Pro

Thank you for the opportunity to debate this topic, Pro, I accept, and extend you a warm welcome to debate.org. Please state your case.

HINT: You have resolved that abortion should be illegal, not that it is immoral or unjust. Other actions such as lying when not under oath, cheating on a spouse, etc... are also commonly regarded by most people as being immoral and unjust, but these are legal, and should stay legal for good reasons. To win this, you need not only show that abortion is wrong, but provide sound reasons that the government should get involved in the criminal prosecution of doctors who perform abortions and/or patients who seek out abortions.
PepperButler

Con

Thank you for the help. Someone I know usually debates and I am new to this.

Is it a crime to kill a child I ask you my good sir? Is it a crime to inflict pain to anyone at all even if the person is unjust? I believe that a good chunk of the world agrees that this would be a crime. In fact, studies have shown (Note, I have been unable to find what company or who the scientist is who said this. My dearest apology.) that within 25 weeks of development the fetus has a brain and can feel pain. Therefore, it will know what it is like to be hurt. Is that what you want a baby who has not even have seen the world know only of that wretched feeling! Which is why the government should get involved, so they may stop the pain and start the healing of the most common type of murder besides gun violence in America. That would be abortion.
calculatedr1sk

Pro

Children

Fetuses are not children. If they were the same, there wouldn't be any need to have two different words to describe them, and even if there were two words, we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one word and the other - but we can tell the difference, now can't we. By the law of identity, "Child" and "fetus" are not logically equivalent, and therefore whether or not it is a crime to kill a child is irrelevant to our discussion.

Pain

Dentists inflict pain, and while there are some who may wish to prosecute them (at times I am included in this number), when our better instincts prevail we recognize that the causing of pain in and of itself still is not enough to establish criminality.

Let us though, for the sake of argument pretend that the inflicting of pain is enough to constitute criminal behavior. If, by your own source and critera, a fetus cannot feel pain for 25 weeks, then by that critera, at least early term abortions should carry no penalty whatsoever. But that's all hypothetical, at any rate Pro has not yet given us any link between inflicting pain and criminality.

Murder
Our voters have still been given no sound reasons to criminalize abortion. Other forms of murder are perfectly legal. Killing in self defense, for example. Indeed, imagine cases when a mother's life is put at severe risk from the pregnancy. In the modern world, our medicine has reduced this risk considerably, but in truth nearly every pregnancy does carry some unknown, varrying degree of risk, while an abortion generally carries less risk. Therefore, it can be argued that abortion is potentially one form of killing in self defense.
PepperButler

Con

PepperButler forfeited this round.
calculatedr1sk

Pro

Extend all arguments.
PepperButler

Con

PepperButler forfeited this round.
calculatedr1sk

Pro

Extend all arguments.
PepperButler

Con

PepperButler forfeited this round.
calculatedr1sk

Pro

Fail debate complete. Please award me conduct because of my opponent's FF. Thank you.
Posted by calculatedr1sk 3 years ago
calculatedr1sk
You clearly have some strong opinions about this topic, Orange-soda01. Since I didn't really get a chance to engage in a full debate because my opponent has forfieted, I would be agreeable to debating you on the subject of abortion if you're interested.
Posted by Orange-Soda01 3 years ago
Orange-Soda01
Abortion is murder. That baby could have grown up to be the next Albert Eisenstein or Mozart. It could have changed the world, maybe that baby would have discovered a way to turn air into energy and lead us away from fuel. Maybe the baby would have created world piece. Yes, it could have grown up and become the next Hitler, but look at what Hitler did. Yes, Hitler killed many of innocent people for no reason, and it was wrong. What I am about to state do not take me wrong. Hitler was bad and what he did I do not condone. Even Hitler affected the world in one good way, Change. He helped America form a new ally, he helped create religious freedom, and helped create the civil right laws which protect people religious beliefs. That baby should have the chance to shine and make something of its self, now it will never get the chance. Plus, yes it is the women's body. That means she is accountable, if she cannot control herself then why would an innocent baby be murdered. Now, let me say one thing. I believe that abortion should be legal only in three cases, Incest, rape, and if the mother drinks/smokes/ does drugs while carrying the baby, because these were not the women's choices, and or the third the child should not live a life where he has a birth defect because of drugs. That would not be fair to the baby either.
Posted by Livelifetothefullest4562 3 years ago
Livelifetothefullest4562
Honestly, it is really none of people's business to know whether someone aborts their baby or not. What if it is family issues? Or maybe they just cannot afford to keep the baby. If you can afford to keep the baby and you are in a safe environment then the baby should be kept.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
PepperButlercalculatedr1skTied
Vote Placed by TN05 3 years ago
TN05
PepperButlercalculatedr1skTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.