JacobAnderson
rschapiro

Should abortion be legal?

JacobAnderson

Pro

Round One: Both sides will present their arguments with no rebuttals.
Round Two: Both sides will give their rebuttals.
Round Three: Both sides will reiterate their/their opponent's arguments and will conclude their argument.
Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that abortion should be legal. This does not mean that I condone abortion or would be willing to recommend getting an abortion to a relative, friend or stranger.
With abortions being legalized, women will be able to go to the ER to have a fetus removed from their body rather than doing it the unsafe way. 47,000 women die annually from these unsafe abortions (http://thinkprogress.org...) and it has to stop. There are circumstances in which it is necessary for a woman to get an abortion as giving birth to a child may end up killing the mother. There are also, more extreme, though, cases like rape in which the mother cannot bear having a living memory of the horrible events. Certain situations call for certain measures, and while I am not advocating abortion, I do believe that it should be a legal option for women.
rschapiro

Con

What is a life? Well, that is for you to decide. I believe life starts with a heart beat. Do we let parents kill their children? Do we say that it is not OUR right to speak up for the featus, that it isnt OUR fight? With that, I disagree. We are here on this earth for a reason, no matter if you are a 3 month old featus, or a 53 year old man. Is there a difference between letting a parent stab their 5 year old little girl, and killing their innocent featus. It is OUR duty as humans, to protect a life. So ask yourself again, is it not OUR responsibilty to protect the innocent? That is for you to decide.
JacobAnderson

Pro

If life starts when the heart starts beating, following that criteria, it would be morally okay to abort the fetus for about six weeks (http://www.mayoclinic.com...). However, we are questioning the legality. You asked if killing a fetus was the same as killing your five year old daughter, and the simple answer is no, no it is not. Children past 5 have a higher chance of living than birth-5. Also, a fetus does not develop mature thinking, and does not even begin to conceptualize unseen things like God, love, etc until age 12. I encourage you to look at Piaget's studies of child development as it will show that no true development happens until after the fetus is born.
By saying this, it is stating that a fetus is not yet a true being. Any way you look at it, abortion should be legal. Denying this is like saying you'd rather have 47000 women die from unsafe abortions rather than killing a fetus, something that knows not the difference between life and death, is it not?
rschapiro

Con

rschapiro forfeited this round.
JacobAnderson

Pro

Because my opponent has forfeited the round, I have no choice but to sum up this debate.
I negated their only argument of when life begins and have sufficiently proven that abortion should be legal.
I apologize for the lack of an actual debate.
rschapiro

Con

rschapiro forfeited this round.