Baer
dtaylor971

Should abortion be legal?

dtaylor971

Baer

Pro

Abortion should be legal. If a woman is carrying a child that she never wanted or can't take care of, she should have the right to abort the birth. Having a child is a big decision and should be an option.
dtaylor971

Con

Note: I am neutral on abortion and could argue for either side. So please, no hateful comments about me "not supporting women's rights" or anything else. This is a controversial topic, so I want to keep the mean comments at a minimum. Check out my other debates and you'll see I have argued pro-choice before.

Hello and welcome to Debate.org! I see this is your first debate, so I wish you luck and I eagerly want to see your debating skills! I will go easy, for this is my first time debating in a month and want to go easy on myself. I will be advocating that abortion should be illegal. I am going to screw around with my debate structure today just for the heck of it. I will start my rebuttals first.

I."If a woman is carrying a child that she never wanted or can't take care of, she should have the right to abort the birth."

The statement above is a standard pro-choice statement. However, it is not neccesarily true. There are a few options to consider before diving right in and taking away a life, or at least a future chance at life. One choice would be adoption. If a mother simpily can not support the child, she can put him/her up for adoption [1].

If the mother really did not want the child, adoption (again) is an option. You may also consider foster care, or at least TRY parenting [2]. Isn't it at least a little bit immoral to just take away a chance at future life just because you "simpily don't want the baby?" It would be the fetus' only chance at life, and who are we to take that chance away from them?

II. "Having a child is a big decision and should be an option."

It is an option, isn't it? Every time you have sex, you risk the possibility of getting pregnant. The mother makes the choice to have sex, which she should consider. If she fails to consider it, isn't it her fault, as she took the risk?

Also, as stated earlier, there are alternatives (options) to abortion. So this statement is completely false. Now, since my rebuttals are done, I can continue on to the arguments section of this debate.

______________________________________________________________________________

I. It takes away lives

A. Many pro-choice people will argue that the fetus is not alive, but rather not living yet. But in the end, does it matter? Abortion takes away any good chance that a fetus would ever have at life. That is "taking away a life." Tak
ing away a life is illegal in the U.S.A, so shouldn't abortion be also?

B.
Second, it can take away the mothers' life. Since Roe v. Wade, 347 mothers' lives have been taken away from them in legal abortion [3]. It may not seem like a lot, but it actually is. That is 347 families casted into easily preventable misery, 347 innocent human beings who had their lives stripped from them in something that shouldn't be legal.

C. Lastly, it can take away "mental life," or torment your mind [4]. Some people who have abortions end up seriously regretting it. It can cause someone to go into deep depression and remorse, and end up having a bad attitude to other people. Though this is uncommon, it is still something to think about. There is actually a name for this, which is PAS, or post-abortion syndrome [5].

Since I have three rounds to argue, I will only post one argument in the first round, and two in the second round (if I don't have too much to refute.) Thank you for reading, and I look forward to the opposition's response!

[1] http://www.adopthelp.com...

[2] http://www.birthmothers.org...

[3] http://www.lifedynamics.com...

[4] http://www.nationalrighttolifenews.org...

[5] http://postabortionsyndrome.org...

Baer

Pro

Baer forfeited this round.
dtaylor971

Con

Extend. I only posted one argument because I knew she'd forfeit.
Baer

Pro

Baer forfeited this round.
dtaylor971

Con

Sad that I didn't get to refute any arguments. Well, still welcome to the site!
Posted by MrDelaney 2 years ago
MrDelaney
It's too bad Pro forfeited, I was enjoying this debate and looking forward to reading Con's other two arguments.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
...So she ends up with someone more experienced.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
I'm tempted, but I think you might need someone a little less experienced for your first debate.
Vote Placed by RebelRebelDixieDixie01 2 years ago
RebelRebelDixieDixie01
Baerdtaylor971Tied
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Baerdtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's counter-argument addressed Pro's, and needed responses from Pro, which was never provided. Con's arguments interestingly sourced, in that they provided proof that things existed; they did not provide scholarly work or statistics. Nonetheless, they were relevant. Conduct to Con for Pro's forfeits.
Vote Placed by Cheetah 2 years ago
Cheetah
Baerdtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF + No arguments from Pro