cookc
ScotieRainwater

Should abortion be legal?

ScotieRainwater

cookc

Pro

Abortion is a basic human right. Everybody should have control over their own bodies and health. If someone feels incapable of carrying/ raising a baby, they shouldn't be forced to. If you personally are against abortion and practice that by always carrying a baby, that's 100% fine. It becomes an issue when you want to tell somebody else that they have to carry a child.
ScotieRainwater

Con

Now I am going to assume we are speaking of "I'm having a child I do not want." and not "I am incapable of carrying this child to full term." but if we are not I will back down and apologize for waiting your time.

Choice to abortion should not be a basic human right. It should have restrictions. You should have a reason beyond "I don't want this baby I made during unprotected sex." because that's just irresponsible, and beyond "I don't want to raise this child." because adoption is an option.
cookc

Pro

A child should not be a punishment for sex. The more sex you have the percentage of getting pregnant while using protection increases. What happens if somebody was raped? They should not be forced to tolerate additional pain. Giving birth is one of the most painful things a human body can endure. Why do you think someone should have to endure that because you want them too. That's ridiculous. If you consider abortion wrong that's fine but you cannot force somebody else to have a child because it goes against your morals. There's plenty of things that people do that go against my morals, but I'm not trying to force the law to restrict these things. Yes it is a basic human right because my reproduction system is nobodys business but my own.
ScotieRainwater

Con

Fix birth control to 100% prevention or ban sex with out the intent of making babies.

Aborting a child caused by rape should not be restricted against that is not a part of my argument.

My argument is that there should be restrictions on this, not that it is or isn't wrong. I am in fact attempting to keep my moral belief on abortion out of this.

As for your argument about how your reproductive system is no one's business but your own, it really isn't. A man's isn't either. It has the ability to bring a life into this world so it should be to an extent the world's business. I also believe that you shouldn't be allowed to make a child unless you're capable of raising it and that the village parenting idea where everyone is involved in raising the child is the best method of parenting so there's those counter arguments shut down.
cookc

Pro

cookc forfeited this round.
ScotieRainwater

Con

Well I'm not sure what to do when a forfeit happens so I guess I'll just write some sort of conclusion.

Abortion is a complex issue that should not be taken lightly. It shouldn't just be made completely legal because "women have the rights to do whatever they want with their bodies" or something like that. But this is not saying that it should be something you can go to jail for just considering.

A teenage girl who gets pregnant by accident isn't going to understand what she's signing up for if she decides to get an abortion. A teenage boy telling his girlfriend to get an abortion after impregnating her by accident isn't going to know what he's signing the girl up for. The parents of the girl may have a better understanding of it but at they may not make the right choice.

And then there's the issue of "What if the father wants it?" What about that factor? If it were the other way around the father would have to pay the mom to raise the kid on her own for 18 years. Should he have a say in the decision to abort the kid? If he does and he gets to keep the kid should the mother have to pay 18 years of child support after its born?

Honestly the bottom line of my argument is that it should not be all or none. We need some regulations and restrictions in this matter, we shouldn't just ban it or legalize it.
Posted by clementine1030 8 months ago
clementine1030
Also, it's not right for a woman to have to be raped before she has control of her body.
Posted by clementine1030 8 months ago
clementine1030
what if you don't want to be pregnant for 40 weeks and then give birth? Also, people have done abortions on their own. This won't prevent abortions. It will just prevent people from doing it safely and legally.
Vote Placed by SirMaximus 8 months ago
SirMaximus
cookcScotieRainwaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited 1 round, but Con forfeited no rounds. Therefore, Con wins for conduct.