trutru17
David_Debates

Should abortions be legal in cases of rape and incest

trutru17 has forfeited round #2.

trutru17

Pro

Well, I think abortions should be legal,because if your raped and you don't want the child,then you could get an abortion,and incest well you could still get an abortion If you wanted to......
David_Debates

Con

Resolution:

Abortion should be legal in cases of rape and incest.

It will be Pro's burden to prove the resolution, and it will be my burden to rebut the resolution. If Pro is willing to take the BoP, please respond in the next round.

Definitions:

Abortion: a killing of a child while it is still in developmental stages.
Legal: permitted by law.
Cases: an instance of a particular situation.
Rape: sexual intercourse where either partner does not consent or is under the age of consent (18).
Incest: sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.

Arguments:

Crime does not take away rights/value from a person.

Allow me to present a hypothetical:
Let's say someone kidnapps a child. That is a heinous crime, and luckily, the perpetrator is found and arrested. The child is then rescued and saved. This crime (kidnapping) does not take away the child's rights because he has now been involved in a crime.

In the same way, a child that is born as a result of a crime does not take away that child's rights. The argument that "you ought to be able to kill an unborn child because of a crime" not only shows an obvious double standard, but also doesn't stand up under examination.

This is my main argument. I want to allow my opponent to accept definitions, so I'll end my argument here.

Pro?
Posted by straightup.gong 4 months ago
straightup.gong
All cases of abortion should be legal.
Posted by cwt002 4 months ago
cwt002
Are you saying all abortions should be legal because of rape/incest cases or that only cases of rape/incest should be allowed to have an abortion? The title and your first debate comments seem to differ.