ConserativeDemocrat
Theguy1789

Should affirmative action be allowed?

ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

Just to clarify, this debate will be focused on AA.

Here are the rules:
1) BoP is shared
2) Forfeiting is an automatic 7 point loss
3) No trolling, semantics and so on
4) Start your argument in round 1
5) Do not accept this debate unless you will post in all 5 rounds.

Good luck!
Theguy1789

Con

Affirmative Action should not be allowed because then you are taking money from those who work and giving it to those who don't.
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

I realized I selected the wrong side, but for the sake of the debate, I will argue for AA.

Rebbutals:
Con: "you are taking money from those who work and giving it to those who don't."
Umm, what? Affirmative action is defined as : the practice of improving the educational and job opportunities of members of groups that have not been treated fairly in the past because of their race, sex, etc. [1] Affirmative action has nothing to do with welfare. Please post an actual arguement.

My arguement.
America is diverse. But, despite this, minorities are not represented at the rate they should be at in colleges and in companies. Because of that, we need affirmative action to show this. You might say minorities are not discriminated in the workforce hiring, but there are less minorities with college degrees, so the amount of minorities in top ranking positions will be lower as fewer have college degrees. That is where affirmative action comes in. This will make colleges accept more minority students to close the gap. There are many benefits that help others too. If more minorities get jobs, then that will boost the economy as we have a more educated workforce, which will also make our country safer. Why? Because when people don't have jobs, and when they are not educated, they commit more crimes. Affirmative action will get more minorities get an education, which will lead to a drop in crime. Finally, this will help companies. With new people with different backgrounds getting high up in a company, many new ideas will be shared, which will, in turn, help out companies.

Links will be in the comments.

Good luck!
Theguy1789

Con

Sorry, I always thought of Affirmative Action as welfare/social security/etc. I'm really stumped on how to debate this- I don't even know why I accepted to begin with. Is there something else you want to debate?

ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

You seem to be opposed to welfare, we can debate that. Ok?
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

Ok, great!

My argument is quite short. As shown, welfare reduces the poverty rate by 3 percent, or 8 million Americans. Without social security, poverty among older Americans would spike 40%. I think a small tax increase is needed to keep milkions of Americans out of poverty.

Source:
http://www.theguardian.com...
Theguy1789

Con

That's true- but no one really wants to be on welfare, they'd really rather work a job, and since that is a perminite solution not requiring any future payments, I say the best option would be to create job opportunities.
ConserativeDemocrat

Pro

Interesting.
Well, yes, I concede that people would rather have a job then be on welfare, but then how are you going to create around 10,000,000 jobs? The government can't create jobs; jobs are created when the economy does well. We can't kill welfare, it simply can't be done. So while it is better for people to have jobs, you can't magically get a job that doesn't exist, but you can get welfare.

To conclude, we simply can not cut welfare as poverty will increase. For my rebbutals, you can not just magically create job opportunities; jobs are created when the economy does well, and because of that, we can't create the millions of jobs needed to take everyone off welfare.

Thanks for the debate!
Theguy1789

Con

Tennessee Valley authority.