Alaina_debates
Wocambs

Should alcohol be illegal?

Wocambs

Alaina_debates

Pro

I believe that alcohol should be illegal. Alcohol can cause lots of trouble. Although it makes u feel relaxed, it affects ur physically and Socially. Some people may feel that u can not have fun without liquors. But this statement is wrong. Accidents happen due to drunk driving, murders or abusing people. It leads to divorces, mistreating children, fights amd violence aswell. Once you too drunk you start to make wrong decisions and children under age of 18 sometimes also drink and get get I to a lot of trouble or even can get arrested if you are caught. You may go out of control because of drinking and it also affects ur health because if u become an addict it can harm ur liver. And especially when teens get drunk, at the end of the day something wrong can happen.
Wocambs

Con

So, I can see that your primary argument for the illegality of alcohol is the social problems caused by alcohol.

In the UK, there are 40 million social drinkers, 1 million problem drinkers and 200,000 alcoholics.[1] According to these statistics, 97% of people drink responsibly. I this establishes that the problems you describe apply typically to a small group of people - although these are British statistics, I believe the British drink more than Americans do. Is it fair that 97% of people should be punished for the damage caused by just 3%?

In my next round, I shall describe the positive effects of alcohol consumption, but I am limited to 750 characters.

[1] http://www.avon.nhs.uk...
Alaina_debates

Pro

Now what you believe is that alcohol shouldn't be banned because Many people drink responsibly? You see 70 percent or 19 million young adults the US exceed their limits. And people in their late teens or mid twenties tend to drink heavily and more than the others. According to NESARC 12.4 million or 50 percent of YOUNG ADULTS who drink more exceed the amount they are supposed to drink in a week. Such risky drinking often leads to tragic consequences, most notably alcohol-related traffic fatalities. Thirty-two percent of drivers ages 16"20 who died in traffic crashes in 2003 had measurable alcohol in their blood, and 51 percent of drivers ages 21"24 who died tested positive for alcohol (7). ,drinkers put themselves and others in danger.
Wocambs

Con

I apologise for brevity. "Moderate drinkers tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers." [1]

"Scientists at the University of London concluded that light and moderate drinking saves more lives in England and Wales than are lost through the abuse of alcohol. If everyone abstained from alcohol, death rates would be significantly higher."[1]

So we see that moderate drinking is very beneficial to health. Now, prohibition of alcohol would reduce exactly this, and so we find that prohibition would not make people healthier, but in fact the opposite. Prohibition actually encourages people to drink to get drunk. [2]

[1]http://www2.potsdam.edu...
[2](See comments)
Alaina_debates

Pro

Moderate drinkers ARE healthier than heavy drinkers. But the topic here is why it should be be banned. These moderate drinkers do start to drink more. They slowly get addicted and and many start to drink more. They get drunk and many accidents happen. And if alcohol is banned and people are abstained from it how is that safer than moderate drinking. And ppl dont always drink the right amount. If there is a breakup or someone is going through something they do end up drinking extra.. They become drunk and tend to do something wrong.
Now we see that even moderate drinking is NOT beneficial to health. Banning alcohol will only decrease the amount of accidents. Prohibition infact makes the people realise the benefits if it is banned
Wocambs

Con

Your rebuttal is predicated upon the idea that drinkers will all eventually become heavy drinkers. This is not the case, or young people would be the lightest drinkers and older people the heaviest. Also, being drunk doesn't mean you are destined to make any bad decisions; the idea that you lose control of yourself is nonsense.

I don't see any evidence for any of your views. Have you factored in the dangerous home manufacture of alcohol and the risk of poisoning that arises when alcohol is prohibited into your 'less accidents' conclusion? The idea of people having one or two drinks a day, simply to enjoy the flavour and the health benefits, disappears almost entirely when alcohol is made illegal.

Prohibition would worsen public health.
Posted by Alaina_debates 3 years ago
Alaina_debates
Hehe had fun debating :D
Posted by Wocambs 3 years ago
Wocambs
Thank you for the speedy vote.
Posted by Wocambs 3 years ago
Wocambs
How regrettable that I was not able to discuss the idea of freedom and the idea of organised crime.
Posted by Wocambs 3 years ago
Wocambs
"In the speakeasies, the phenomenon of drinking to get drunk became a popular past time, where before alcohol was generally considered secondary to eating and socializing."

http://www.legendsofamerica.com...

I would also have put that there were more speakeasies than pre-prohibiton saloons, but again, tiny character limit.
Posted by Alaina_debates 3 years ago
Alaina_debates
I'm new here n I thought it was 750 words so I thought it was enough too. :( I need more space
Posted by Alaina_debates 3 years ago
Alaina_debates
Yeah I was trying to Make it more but it wasnt happening. Something was wrong
Posted by Wocambs 3 years ago
Wocambs
Why the tiny word limit? I suppose it encourages brevity.
Vote Placed by Piccini 3 years ago
Piccini
Alaina_debatesWocambsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Would have been a better debate if arguments were longer. Conduct was a tie, but Con used better arguments and sources. Pro, you should spell-check your arguments. And avoid using abbreviations.
Vote Placed by Milliarde 3 years ago
Milliarde
Alaina_debatesWocambsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets S&G for obvious reasons, as well as sources for being the only one to cite sources. Pro's argument was refuted by Con more than once, and even if his arguments hadn't been refuted, such as ones of the form: Alcohol is bad --> it should be illegal, it ignores the fact that it has been illegal in the past and prohibition didn't work. So why try again?