camadkins13
DNehlsen

Should all Christian churches allow same-sex marriages and say they'll go to Heaven instead of Hell?

camadkins13 has forfeited round #2.

camadkins13

Pro

The boundary between Christianity and homosexuality has been a struggle for many years. I say we draw the line and make homosexuality an acceptable part of a Christian society and that homosexuals should have the right to be able to attend the house of worship and to pray to God and Jesus and sing the hymnals in a group of people without being discriminated or even beat up by others. In my opinion, all the Christian churches, including the Fundamentalist, Catholic, and Seventh-Day Adventist Churches, should change their restrictions on homosexuality and allow them to come in to the church, allow same-sex couples to get married when they wish and even ignore the verses that say homosexuality is punished by death because that is just not true (in my opinion). In my opinion, the only way you can go to Heaven is if you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, have faith in God, and follow the Ten Commandments (thou shalt not marry with the same-sex) or (thou shalt not commit sexual immorality) is not in the Ten Commandments or the Bible itself. The only sexually immoral sin that the Ten Commandments forbid is adultery. Adultery is not homosexuality, so why are churches doing this? Free the homosexual Christians!
DNehlsen

Con

To open, I'll assume that we can both agree that Scripture is true. This much is essential before we can get anywhere with this conversation. Now that this is established, I'd like to look at the idea of objectivity.

The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines the word 'Objective' as follows: (1)
"expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations"

Objectiveness is essential when attempting to decipher right and wrong. Scripture clearly indicates a standard of objective morality. This means there is a defined good, and a defined bad. Because of this, our opinions on the matter do not matter. The only thing that matters is what Scripture, our souce of objective morality, says on the matter.

Scripture claims to be the Word of God. Since God is perfect, his word should also be perfect.

2 Timothy 3:16 - All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

Matthew 5:18 - For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Hebrews 6:18 - So that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.

Now that we've defined the basics, I'd like to dive into some of my opponents points made.

"homosexuals should have the right to be able to attend the house of worship and to pray to God and Jesus and sing the hymnals in a group of people without being discriminated or even beat up by others."
Homosexuals are already allowed to attend church, worship, and pray to the same God without discrimination. Just because one is a liar, and therefore a sinner, doesn't mean we cast him out of the church, or discriminate against him. In America, and every civilized country, it is illegal to beat people up. Never has this type of behavior been endorced or enacted by the modern church.

"In my opinion, all the Christian churches...should change their restrictions on homosexuality and allow them to come in to the church."
Attendance by homosexual individuals is already permissible.

"In my opinion, all the Christian churches should...allow same-sex couples to get married when they wish and even ignore the verses that say homosexuality is punished by death because that is just not true (in my opinion)."
This is where the problem lies. Your comment, 'Ignore the verses that say homosexuality is punishable by death, because my opinion states that is not true,' is directly hostile to the objectivity of scripture. Opinions and feelings on any objective matter are completely useless, as they do not define objective truth. I'll get more into detail of why my opponents opinion itself is objectively wrong further on.

"In my opinion, the only way you can go to Heaven is if you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, have faith in God, and follow the Ten Commandments"
The key phrase here is 'in my opinion.' Let's look at scripture and see how my opponents opinions line up with scripture.

Romans 10:9-10 - Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Ephesians 2:8-10 - For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Romans 10:13 - For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Salvation is by faith alone - regardless of works. Therefore, in the age of grace, the Ten Commandments are irrelevant to our salvation. Even still - this debate is not about salvation, but what Scripture outlines as a sin.

Genesis 1:19 tells a story of city that was destroyed because of their homosexual acts.
Romans 1:26-27 uses the phrases 'dishonorable passions' and 'shameless acts' to describe homosexual acts.
1 Corinthians 6:9 says the sexual immoral, and homosexually active will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Clearly, from these verses, we can see scripture does not have a positive view of homosexuality. Do keep in mind scripture also claims to be the complete word of God - perfect and inerrent. If scripture is wrong here, then the entire thing is untrustworthy. Scripture is an all or nothing deal. One cannot exclude parts of scripture they disagree with, or would rather not come to terms with, as they please.

Romans 6:23a - "For the wages of sin is death..."

All sin is the same. All sin will lead to death. So when you someone sin, regardless of what that sin may be, they are breaking God's glorious standard. That's all that matters. So in the same way that a church would not condone the murder of an individual, so it should not condone the homosexual marriage of two individuals.

(1) https://www.merriam-webster.com...
(2) All verses are independantly cited.